Ken McGregor frustrating the crap out of me

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenny has never been the quickest at getting the ball from his hand to his foot and at times looses sense of where other players are but I'd much rather have him in the team than out, even though he is carrying a soft tissue/leg injury.

His courage is like Basset but with some control

Beaten but not disgraced on Saturday

McGregor is a reactive defender in that he waits for his opponent to make the play and reacts to his movement.

In this situation Holland was able to beat McGregor to the ball every time and how bloody slow is Holland!

If your going to play this way you had better have some foot speed or you'll get creamed - Tonight answered that and McGregor got creamed.

Rutten on the other hand is a pro-active defender who will compensate for his lack of speed by anticipation of his opponents move and getting there first.

Big Big difference.

I thought Kenny was crap with a capital C last night for 2 and a half quarters. After he got cleaned up by Miller something changed and I started to see signs of the Kenny of old. Strong defensive marking, good spoils and the occassional skill error. But i thought he atleast showed signs after half time.

snakebite01 said:
I thought Kenny was crap with a capital C last night for 2 and a half quarters. After he got cleaned up by Miller something changed and I started to see signs of the Kenny of old. Strong defensive marking, good spoils and the occassional skill error. But i thought he atleast showed signs after half time.
Trouble is if you look closely I think Daveys last goal was directly a result of another McGregor fumble - a similar fumble resulted in him being cleaned up by Miller.

If you factor in his reactionary play, his slowness of the mark, and his continually letting balls slip through his hands - then his downside (and the implications) certainly outweighed his positives

Why dont the Crows official play Hentschel down back and McGregor up forward?

IMO it would work a treat.

Kenny was just on Foxfooty with Dunstall and The King.

Only really caught the last part of the interview but some points he made.

*NC has been really good with his creativity and encouraging players to take risks. Won't get angry if they mess up as long as they do it whilst trying to do the right thing. Said that Craigy is one of the boys and likes to get in there and get them revved up.

*Described his 1st half as a stinker but thought he fought back OK in the 2nd half and was reasonably happy after half time.

*Carey asked about Perrie and Kenny said that atleast he's getting the opportunites at goal and presenting himself. He said that as long as you've got the ball you can always work on your goalkicking and it's beter than missing shots than not getting the ball at all.

*Thought that we could have given ourselves a much better chance if we had capitilised in the first quarter - could have gone into 1/4 time with a 3-4 goal lead if we'd kicked straight.

*Said that Craig is trying to develop the attacking play down the middle and if you look at our forward entries this year on the whole that there is an improvement in this regard from last year.

*Dunstall mentioned that Ayres copped it for playing McLeod in the back half last year but Craig is doing the same thing and that McLeod getting 20 touches from a back pocket isn't going to help the side. Kenny disagreed saying that he provoded good run and that he also completely shut Davey out of the game and was very valuable to the team last night. The King agreed saying that McLeod pantsed Davey and it was only after McLeod pushed forward when we went for the win that Davey got a couple of goals.

*Carey asked him how a few young guys (Bock, Jericho, Ladhams) were going and that they were still to come back into the side. KM said that Jericho and Bock had been playing really well in the SANFL and would be pushing for selection as both were named as emergencies. No mention of Ladhams.

That's pretty much all I can remember. Didn't give too much away but there were some interesting points he made.

Wayne's-World said:
McGregor is a reactive defender in that he waits for his opponent to make the play and reacts to his movement.

In this situation Holland was able to beat McGregor to the ball every time and how bloody slow is Holland!

If your going to play this way you had better have some foot speed or you'll get creamed - Tonight answered that and McGregor got creamed.

Rutten on the other hand is a pro-active defender who will compensate for his lack of speed by anticipation of his opponents move and getting there first.

Big Big difference.
I don't disagree with your analysis BUT I think you are being WAY too harsh on McGregor. In the last 3-4 years you can count on one hand the number of times he got beaten and he generally plays on the opposition's best forward.

Sure this year he is struggling and is carrying an injury BUT I still think its unfair for him to get the bake that you gave him. Are you aware that he played with blurred vision and a slight concussion after the Miller bump??????

Give him some slack FFS and if you are going to have a crack at Kenny for not performing lets also be fair and have a crack at the likes of McLeod, Edwards, Ricciuto etc....

Even as a reactive defender he does his job most of the time.

Stiffy_18 said:
I don't disagree with your analysis BUT I think you are being WAY too harsh on McGregor. In the last 3-4 years you can count on one hand the number of times he got beaten and he generally plays on the opposition's best forward.

Sure this year he is struggling and is carrying an injury BUT I still think its unfair for him to get the bake that you gave him. Are you aware that he played with blurred vision and a slight concussion after the Miller bump??????

Give him some slack FFS and if you are going to have a crack at Kenny for not performing lets also be fair and have a crack at the likes of McLeod, Edwards, Ricciuto etc....

Even as a reactive defender he does his job most of the time.
Are you aware why he got hit??? - Because he fumbled yet again, stopped to have a second bite and got cleaned up - in any other era he would have paid the penalty for fumbling at the elite level. Today though you get rewarded for such skill errors.

If he is injured then he shouldn't play or should adapt his normal playing style if he is able.

Macleod and Edwards played well last night thanks!

Wayne's-World said:
Are you aware why he got hit??? - Because he fumbled yet again, stopped to have a second bite and got cleaned up - in any other era he would have paid the penalty for fumbling at the elite level. Today though you get rewarded for such skill errors.

If he is injured then he shouldn't play or should adapt his normal playing style if he is able.

Macleod and Edwards played well last night thanks!
Gee aren't you a bit selective. Begley got cleaned up by Pickett because he fumbled. The similarities between the 2 bumps are very very clear. Both player fumbled and both players got cleaned up. Weren't you the one that cried murder and had a go at port posters who suggested than had Begley not fumbled he wouldn't have been cleaned up????? Yet now you are blaming McGregor :confused:

He is a player that will give 110% to the side. He will play injured and thats a sign of a player who puts team before himself. Lets face it there are no better options than Kenny. Simple as that.

So what. Their whole season so far has been patchy and average by their standards. Same as McGregor but Kenny can cop it and the other 2 can be let off the hook.

Stiffy_18 said:
Gee aren't you a bit selective. Begley got cleaned up by Pickett because he fumbled. The similarities between the 2 bumps are very very clear. Both player fumbled and both players got cleaned up. Weren't you the one that cried murder and had a go at port posters who suggested than had Begley not fumbled he wouldn't have been cleaned up????? Yet now you are blaming McGregor :confused:
No the context of the conversations were diiferent (I think? :D )
My comments re Begley was regarding the severity of Picketts action and its consequences.

My comments re McGregor were more around his continued fumbling ( a few games now) - different because in all honesty I didn't think that much of the bump - Now I admit I haven't seen the replay, but live I didn't think much of it.

He is a player that will give 110% to the side. He will play injured and thats a sign of a player who puts team before himself. Lets face it there are no better options than Kenny. Simple as that.

No denying Kennys efforts!

And I think re his current status in the team is reflected by your last sentence which I have also stated on this topic ;)

Wayne's-World said:
No the context of the conversations were diiferent (I think? :D )
My comments re Begley was regarding the severity of Picketts action and its consequences.

My comments re McGregor were more around his continued fumbling ( a few games now) - different because in all honesty I didn't think that much of the bump - Now I admit I haven't seen the replay, but live I didn't think much of it.

No denying Kennys efforts!

And I think re his current status in the team is reflected by your last sentence which I have also stated on this topic ;)
If Miller doesn't get at least 4 weeks then the tribunal is screwed. The actual incident is very similar to Pickett's. Both Begley and McGregor fumbled and went for the second bite of the cherry and were taken head on.

Very very similar incidents.

And you are being selective because when Begley was in question it wasn't his fault he got cleaned up but in Kenny's case it is his fault when both players were guilty of the same crime ;)

Stiffy_18 said:
If Miller doesn't get at least 4 weeks then the tribunal is screwed. The actual incident is very similar to Pickett's. Both Begley and McGregor fumbled and went for the second bite of the cherry and were taken head on.

Very very similar incidents.

And you are being selective because when Begley was in question it wasn't his fault he got cleaned up but in Kenny's case it is his fault when both players were guilty of the same crime ;)
I agree Miller will get 4 weeks.

Yes Iam getting pretty selective - guilty as charged ;)

BUT by this time McGregor had me really p.....d off what with all his fumbling - watch the replay to see exactly how much - and yes I was probably more focussed on yet another Mcgregor fumble more so than the bump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would appear that Kenny isn't real popular with his team mates. I watched the Kenny v Miller incident again last night and not ont Crows player came into remonstrate with Brad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken McGregor frustrating the crap out of me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back