Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knightmare, I've noticed that you've dropped Sam Colquhoun down to 34 in your latest update - down from 17 one or two versions ago. Any particular reason for his slide?

Saw him play for South Australia and I thought his kicking and rebound was very classy and composed. Would be fantastic for Carlton at their second-rounder, reckon he'll be a quality player.

Knightmare, I've noticed that you've dropped Sam Colquhoun down to 34 in your latest update - down from 17 one or two versions ago. Any particular reason for his slide?

Saw him play for South Australia and I thought his kicking and rebound was very classy and composed. Would be fantastic for Carlton at their second-rounder, reckon he'll be a quality player.

Some questions on the defensive side to his game and whether he can shut down his man - but footskills and rebounding ability down back is up there with the very best in this draft.

He looks like more of a second rounder, but as a talent I'm still very much a fan and game after game I go away impressed with the way he sets up attacking drives with his precise footskills.

Any chance of Stringer slipping into the second round? A freakish talent yes, but clubs may play it safe.

Unlikely he drops into the second round. It is possible that he experiences a similar drop to Kavanagh last year but he's too good to drop much further if indeed he does at all.

Knights i'm sorry but i dont see us taking Plowman or tho he has huge talant i think voss would try to fix or forwardline first and If we dont trade pick 8 for Tippett I think we will go for a KPF or Mid with our first pick

Reckon the Lions will jag a KPF from Western Australia's crop this year.

Knights i'm sorry but i dont see us taking Plowman or tho he has huge talant i think voss would try to fix or forwardline first and If we dont trade pick 8 for Tippett I think we will go for a KPF or Mid with our first pick

Of those remaining talents at 8 Plowman would be my pick as best talent.

Mids + key forwards I agree would be first priority but looking through the key defence spots I don't see all that much strength coming through.

Merrett, Staker, Patfull and Maguire are all nearing 30 so I'm not so sure whether there is enough quality coming through in that back half.

But certainly pick 8 would be the asset to use in a trade for Tippett.

On Plowman, does he play tall enough to hold down either CHB or FB, or is he more of your Seb Tape type that's more suited to playing a third tall?

He's a key defender first but can also play as a 3rd tall. He's strong enough to take most talls and should be fine against taller forwards. He's the same height as Rutten, Glass, Scarlett and Fisher so it shouldn't be an issue.

I only asked because even though at that height, someone like Tape seems to suit being a third tall rather than a KPD. Sounds like an interesting prospect none the less, and could make an interesting combo with Justin Clarke who has also shown he's also quite good offensively.

I'd probably still prefer us to take a midfielder like Garlett, and try our hand at picking up two potential KPP players with the next two picks. Fingers crossed we get lucky and someone like Jaksch falls to our compensation pick (though given the lack of KPF in this draft, it's unlikely that'll happen).

On a side note, I'm also very interested to see how the academies work out for the teams with them starting next season. Brisbane have a few interesting ones for next year including Tickner and Conway who both played for Queensland this year in the U/18's.

I only asked because even though at that height, someone like Tape seems to suit being a third tall rather than a KPD. Sounds like an interesting prospect none the less, and could make an interesting combo with Justin Clarke who has also shown he's also quite good offensively.

I'd probably still prefer us to take a midfielder like Garlett, and try our hand at picking up two potential KPP players with the next two picks. Fingers crossed we get lucky and someone like Jaksch falls to our compensation pick (though given the lack of KPF in this draft, it's unlikely that'll happen).

Garlett is one of a number of possible options Brisbane could look into.

With the KPPs most of the options this year are more late selections with few looking like 2nd/3rd rounds so if you pass on a KPP early don't be surprised if you wait until the rookie draft unless willing to take someone slightly earlier than they probably should go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey KM, love your work! was wondering when your next update will be?

Probably some time later this finals series.

If I get the chance will update my power rankings some time over the next week or two with that still not updated.

KM, interested to think how would you compare Mason Shaw with a modern day footballer? Is he as good as someone such as a Jack Darling?

knights what forward's would you take at our picks if avilable

Mason Shaw is probably the option early.
Kristian Jaksch if available when that end of 1st round compensation pick would be the option otherwise Marco Paparone.
2nd round you might be looking at a Marco Paparone or Tom Lee would be the options.

Then late draft Spencer White and Brant Colledge would be the ones I'd be looking at.

KM, interested to think how would you compare Mason Shaw with a modern day footballer? Is he as good as someone such as a Jack Darling?

I certainly don't see Shaw as the same immediate player as Darling - Darling was one of those rare few key forwards ready as an underager. Shaw is something closer to a slightly shorter Kurt Tippett as that similar tall marking presence stylistically and I expect him to develop into a similar player to North Melbourne's Lachlan Hansen. So he is a guy who probably won't be your franchise key forward but someone who can be a best 22 player and provide a target.

True, none are as good as Grundy (as he will be, anyway) but we are in desperate need for midfielders. If Minson stays, we definitely wont look at him.
Key forwards, none are good enough for our picks. Could go for Hogan, but Melbourne can offer better.

We already have good, young inside midfielders, we'll go for pace and skill now.

Macca keeps preaching best available. I hope we don't go down that road of another inside midfielder, it wouldn't surprise me if we do considering Mac's focus on contested ball.

By the way I think Grundy is overrated and I would spew if we took him at 5 or 6. I think he will be available then

Macca keeps preaching best available. I hope we don't go down that road of another inside midfielder, it wouldn't surprise me if we do considering Mac's focus on contested ball.

By the way I think Grundy is overrated and I would spew if we took him at 5 or 6. I think he will be available then
True. It wouldn't surprise me either. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Grundy's availability will depend on the trades for the MD picks I think, and whether or not Melbourne have to take Viney first up. If GWS end up with the first 3 picks, I think they'll take him with one of them. I really hope he isn't there at our pick, so we don't have to face that possibility. No way should we look at a ruckman with one of those picks.

Knightmare, what do you make of the hype associated with Dean Towers?

Could he go as high as Isaac Smith did, and is the hype worthwhile in your opinion?

Mason Shaw is probably the option early.
Kristian Jaksch if available when that end of 1st round compensation pick would be the option otherwise Marco Paparone.
2nd round you might be looking at a Marco Paparone or Tom Lee would be the options.

Then late draft Spencer White and Brant Colledge would be the ones I'd be looking at.

Colts leading goal kicker in the WAFL not worth a look?

I certainly don't see Shaw as the same immediate player as Darling - Darling was one of those rare few key forwards ready as an underager. Shaw is something closer to a slightly shorter Kurt Tippett as that similar tall marking presence stylistically and I expect him to develop into a similar player to North Melbourne's Lachlan Hansen. So he is a guy who probably won't be your franchise key forward but someone who can be a best 22 player and provide a target.

Disagree entirely, Shaw has been simmering away for a year just waiting to be taken.

He doesn't have the defensive presence like Darling, but he's a stronger mark and a better kick.

Darling has him covered on the ground, but in the air Shaw has him covered, easily.

do you really think o'rourke will go 4th? thougt we might of been able to pick him up at 13

Someone like Wines or O'Rourke would be a good fit - hard at it mids who can use the ball creatively.

Knightmare, what do you make of the hype associated with Dean Towers?

Could he go as high as Isaac Smith did, and is the hype worthwhile in your opinion?

I think it is entirely possible Towers goes just as high as Smith did and I'm with the hype on this one. I don't know whether physically he grew as late as Smith did but I consider his upside similar as that type coming from country footy and into VFL footy later with still plenty more room to develop his game. He has that same linebreaking pace and his skills are probably enough a touch better so I like his game a lot.

Colts leading goal kicker in the WAFL not worth a look?

Disagree entirely, Shaw has been simmering away for a year just waiting to be taken.

He doesn't have the defensive presence like Darling, but he's a stronger mark and a better kick.

Darling has him covered on the ground, but in the air Shaw has him covered, easily.

Howson fan eh? He has had a very good season and has finished off the year strongly up forward. I've mostly seen him as a key defender but his ability to play both ends appeals.

Not wrong in anything you say and you have correctly identified the differences in Darling's game v that of Shaw. Shaw has that additional height to go with his marking game and while he was even last year dominated he has only played in the Colts while Jack Darling all along was playing league football.

I'd still back in Darling's immediate impact with Shaw still to need more time before he can really establish himself but we'll see what happens.

do you really think o'rourke will go 4th? thougt we might of been able to pick him up at 13

I can't see him lasting that long.

O'Rourke is one of the few with the combination of an inside and outside game as well pace and a excellent footskills. I'd be surprised to see him last past pick 6 overall on draft day and should land somewhere in the 2-6 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back