Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Knightmare love your work, regarding Anthony Bonaddio it seemed as if you rated him much higher earlier in the year any reason for him sliding of your radar? I read that he had some personal problems the year before would that have an affect on whether he is drafted? Cheers.

Hi Knightmare love your work, regarding Anthony Bonaddio it seemed as if you rated him much higher earlier in the year any reason for him sliding of your radar? I read that he had some personal problems the year before would that have an affect on whether he is drafted? Cheers.

I read that article also.

I initially thought he might have more ability through the midfield than he has demonstrated this year, so it was more of a speculative placement but he has mostly played as forward and as a small forward unless absolutely outstanding you are more likely than not going as a rookie if at all.

Early on in the season it's all speculative. You rate players where you think they will go and little is said about draft positions until later on in the season typically. So a year out or 6 months out from the draft there will always be great variation - at least in my drafts against what the final product eventually is, shifting around most days.

Graham is a combo mid. Can play inside/outside and forward or back where required. Productive player in the TAC but not sure where he settles at the next level and whether he has a standout attribute that can make him better than depth. Not sure I'd have him in the super pacey category but could be an option for a club in the 2nd round.

Saunders is a good one to mention and is pretty stiff not to be in my draft at present. Really quick player who could feature in the back end of the draft somewhere if a club is keen. Form might not be as exposed as that of others but he has his fans and could feature late/rookie.

Plenty of crumbing options even through the rookie draft. For pace Shannon Taylor has his fans and was considered a potential high draft selection coming into the season but probably hasn't found that next level in his play this year. Last year tested very well for a 17 year old but seems to have dropped off some athletically and added some weight this year without adding to his game.

Anthony Tipungwuti has his fans and could be a really nice option. Has some evasiveness and some versatility to his game. Big improver this season and has something.

Jarrod Stokes as a super quick tackling type forward could be an option as a rookie. Not the most skilled or best finisher but with his pace and tackling game could intrigue.

Ben Kearns and Anthony Bonnaddio are also worth looking at. Probably plenty I've missed but every year there are plenty of small forwards who slide into the rookie draft and history suggests clubs underrated many of these and allow some of the best to last into the late draft or rookie draft area.

I probably wouldn't go after Ben Jacobs at 21. Liked him in his draft year but haven't like his play at AFL level as much as expected. Was excellent in u18 and really stood out with his endurance and ability to find the ball but have some questions about his kicking consistency and decision making ability. Looks like another Simon Buckley as a back flanker with that long kick and ability to find the footy but without being that really exceptional user who can consistently generate meaningful drive. I might be against the grain but I see him more as a midfielder who can play some inside/outside and be someone who more fits into a midfield rotation for a club looking for a few more players to fill out that midfield. So perhaps a Richmond or North Melbourne could do with Jacobs but not one I see as a fit for Collingwood specifically.

The dogs could look at him with pick 22 and this would be around the start of Jacobs' draft range I'd say, likely featuring somewhere in the 2nd round for a Victorian club. Strongest links at this stage have been suggesting that he goes/wants to land at North Melbourne but I expect he would be happy at any Victorian club.

His name comes up every year and he is always thereabouts. Haven't heard any rumours suggesting he gets selected but you can never say never when Orren Stephenson can get drafted late draft.

Uysal has mostly played VFL 2s this year so I suggest others get selected first when guys like Woofindin play senior VFL footy every week and do more and other young ones are having more significant impacts with Nelson and Duffy chances as rookies in that similar age group from WA but Uysal is in the less likely to be selected group I would have thought.

Never quite sure where the links to Collingwood with Uysal come from every year but with a pretty young loaded forward group after two years of heavily adding to the forwardline I don't see Uysal adding anything for Collingwood that isn't already. There are probably another 15 sides he would better fit if he was indeed to be rookied.

I'm actually friends with his girlfriend and she was telling me the last two years his been very close to being drafted, He was relegated to VFL 2's because Coburg where unable to pay him a senior match fee and also having Richmond players in the seniors froze him out as well his now been assure a minimum of 16 Senior games next season if he isn't drafted

Assuming Tippett nominates for the pre-season draft, will GWS know his price/conditions before the national draft. If not maybe they will take Grundy just in case?

Assuming Tippett nominates for the pre-season draft, will GWS know his price/conditions before the national draft. If not maybe they will take Grundy just in case?

Tippett will make his price known and will look to scare clubs off.

Sounds like GWS will pass on Grundy, regardless of whether Tippett happens. From what I understand a condition of Giles signing was that GWS not add any more ruckmen and that he would long term remain the no.1 ruckman. So pretty hard to see them taking Grundy.

That's crazy if true. Are they going to go through the next few years with just Giles, Phillips and Downie? Almost as bad as Collingwood :p. I wonder if he considers Tippett a ruckman.

That's crazy if true. Are they going to go through the next few years with just Giles, Phillips and Downie? Almost as bad as Collingwood :p. I wonder if he considers Tippett a ruckman.

With Tippett it's not even clear yet if the AFL let him nominate for the draft next year.

GWS don't need that depth in ruckmen. Giles is an established ruckman already. Phillips can play as required with Downie the project requiring more time. Then Brogan I understand is playing on next year and can play as required. So their ruck depth is probably somewhat better than that of Collingwood with only Jolly and Witts then Gault and Lynch as the no.2 rucks.

The aim for GWS is to build that midfield first and so far it seems to be working pretty well for them.

From what I understand a condition of Giles signing was that GWS not add any more ruckmen and that he would long term remain the no.1 ruckman. So pretty hard to see them taking Grundy.

You don't seriously believe a clubs recruiting department would be dictated to by a player, who is just an average player at that. You must know better than that.

You seem to be getting better with age Knightmare, though I am intrigued as to why Hawthorn need another development Ruckman? With Lowden and Grimely, both 21, yet to play a senior game it would seem odd to add another ruck prospect. Hawks to take another mature ruckman late in the Rookie Draft IMO.

You don't seriously believe a clubs recruiting department would be dictated to by a player, who is just an average player at that. You must know better than that.

Don't rate Giles? He had a very strong first year. Certainly not a player I'd like to lose if he was on my team!

The contract talks went on for a very long period and the feeling all year has been that Giles wanted to be the no.1 ruckman whether it be with GWS or another club. With the recent strong rumours that GWS are looking at passing on Grundy I'm not discounting it when it has been mentioned as a central theme along with the money to his contract talks throughout the year.

You seem to be getting better with age Knightmare, though I am intrigued as to why Hawthorn need another development Ruckman? With Lowden and Grimely, both 21, yet to play a senior game it would seem odd to add another ruck prospect. Hawks to take another mature ruckman late in the Rookie Draft IMO.

Looking to get better every year so glad to hear I'm not going backward.

I've never liked the Hawthorn ruck divion. Just never seen that genuine franchise no.1 ruckman for these recent Hawthorn sides.

That said McBean I don't view as a ruckman despite his height. I rate him more highly as a KPP - though I'm expecting some varied views on his game. In there for now as a best available.

Hawthorn with those talls seem to like the more versatile talls - Hale and Roughead as those ruckmen who can go forward and I see McBean fitting in with that theme where he doesn't have those limitations to his game. McBean I see in a similar way where he could become that taller key defender as Lachlan Keeffe has for Collingwood or alternatively something else if required, perhaps another key forward.

It's a best available selection for Hawthorn anyway. Hrovat if he slides would be a great get, Pongracic as another inside midfielder could be looked at but I see him going mid-late 2nd round. Otherwise it could be something very different added, maybe another key defender if one of note slides.

Not sure another mature age ruckman is needed through the rookie draft - though Hawthorn have certainly showed that willingness to invest with McCauley and Pattison but I'm probably ok with Bailey/Hale/Roughead and see that as good enough to play with, with enough young ones developing. Two established no.1s in Bailey and Hale is plenty. I just don't see it as an effective recruiting method adding such a quantity of mature age ruckmen when other clubs are finding players in other positions who can find roles for teams through the rookie draft.
A franchise no.1 ruckman would be wonderful and is that relative missing link now that Lake has been added as that quality key defender but what's there at present is probably as good as possible until a McIntosh equivalent can be added through trade/free agency.

Hey KM,

Richmond seem to want either Vlastuin or Garner. Can't separate them. Who would you take for us? We need inside mids especially if Tuck retires soon and Foley's body is nearly cooked. But we haven't had that high marking medium forward at all. So can't even split them on needs.

Where do you see Atkins playing at AFL level? IYO can he become more of a midfielder who pinch-hits forward? Inside or Outside? Both? Where do you like him?

Pongracic - How do you rate his kicking? If you were choosing with our picks would you rather take Garner and then get Pongracic in the 2nd round or take Vlastuin and someone else 2nd round?

Last but not least, Matthew Dick. I haven't seen a lot of him. I really like his run and carry off half back. He's a great size. Do you think he could play off a wing or even go into the centre square. Has he got an inside game at all?

Hey KM,

Richmond seem to want either Vlastuin or Garner. Can't separate them. Who would you take for us? We need inside mids especially if Tuck retires soon and Foley's body is nearly cooked. But we haven't had that high marking medium forward at all. So can't even split them on needs.

Where do you see Atkins playing at AFL level? IYO can he become more of a midfielder who pinch-hits forward? Inside or Outside? Both? Where do you like him?

Pongracic - How do you rate his kicking? If you were choosing with our picks would you rather take Garner and then get Pongracic in the 2nd round or take Vlastuin and someone else 2nd round?

Last but not least, Matthew Dick. I haven't seen a lot of him. I really like his run and carry off half back. He's a great size. Do you think he could play off a wing or even go into the centre square. Has he got an inside game at all?

I like Vlastuin more and if picking would take him first but that said I see Richmond taking Garner because he offers that something not currently there. Richmond have more backline options than forward type options and with Garner a likely mid/fwd I see him as the more likely fit and eventual selection.

Atkins would probably be best suited either on a forward flank or wing. Feels a bit too outside and doesn't win enough of his own ball and is much more of a receiver so I'm thinking he reminds more of an outside, clean user of the footy type. Have doubts he can develop much if any AFL relevant inside game and contested ball winning ability is one of my main concerns for Atkins at this stage and is probably that one feature that could elevate his game.

Pongracic's kicking I like and have liked all season. Did well at the draft combine kicking test - not that, that tells you enough. Good finisher around goal and from set shots. Has some penetration. Field kicking to a target not elite but above average for an inside type.

Richmond might have more first round options than expected. Macrae likely isn't available but if Richmond selector would be first on my potentials list. Grundy has been mentioned as a likely slider and speculation is increasing that he could slide as far as Richmond which could be interesting. If available would surely slide no further. Would probably then be looking at Stringer then Vlastuin as those others.
*Would really stick pretty close to my power rankings and that probably gives some indication of who I'd be looking at early if a selector but Garner is one who a bit like Conca a couple of years ago I could see surprising and being that under the radar selection where if a club has done their research perhaps he could turn out a much better than expected selection and be worth the selection spent.

Really interesting thought with Dick on the ball. With his clean hands, good ball use, pace and relative size for his age could be an interesting on ball option. Having not seen him through the middle I'd probably say no though. Not really that real contested ball winner from the games I've seen to suggest it is an aspect he could later develop. More likely he remains more of a back flanker where his skillset probably indicated he is best suited anyway.

Hi Knights, loving your mock draft with our picks we get the two best forwards, in the draft and the best KPD with our last live draft pick. Can you really see it going this way, or are Freo going to get Shaw, and WB get Smith, if both Shaw, and Smith, are gone and we don't pick up Jaksch, who would you think we should look at for KPP's at our 2nd and 3rd picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks heaps for the reply. Really good insight. Could definitely see us taking Garner as we really don't have that mercurial forward. We are also looking at Petterd (training with us along with Wood, Stephenson and Toy) It's out of him and Vlastuin it appears. Pongracic could certainly be a good option instead of Vlas. Probably not all that keen on both of them together though but if we took Garner or a Macrae, Pongracic is a good back up plan for that tough inside player.

We do need receiver type players like Atkins too so I still feel he'd be a good fit with his foot skills Hardwick would love him.

Adam Carter is another I really like with our picks.

It wouldn't surprise me because I think that demand/request lines up with GWS's plans anyway - they passed on Longer last year, remember, and now they've re-signed Brogan for an extra year even though he was about the worst ruck in the AFL when he was on the field.

It wouldn't surprise me because I think that demand/request lines up with GWS's plans anyway - they passed on Longer last year, remember, and now they've re-signed Brogan for an extra year even though he was about the worst ruck in the AFL when he was on the field.

If that's the case GWS are completely stuffed and being run by a bunch of amateurs. Any club that would let a player dictate recruiting strategies is a doomed venture, what if Grundy slips down to pick 12 and is miles above the next player available, do they pass because they made a promise to Giles, it's ludicrous. Coaches can have some input into recruiting, if players are then your club is ****ed.

GWS would have to be crazy to sign Tippet. Much better off developing the far more talented forwards they currently have, taking Grundy in the draft, and even using someone like Phillips or Grundy to stand in the goal square to cover their developing KPFs if they get subbed or injured. Tippet's price is way too high and he plays a position that is not really required by GWS. They should save their money and have a shot at one of the free agents from next year. The only reason they will take Tippet is for the publicity imo.

Now that I have said that, they will probably take him and he will win their B&F and the Coleman :)

I think you're underestimating the publicity angle and also the fact that he will help them be more competitive sooner, as well as "protecting" Patton and Cameron in the next year or two, as they develop and grow (which they were probably hoping Folau would do). The fact he can pinch hit in the ruck would also be a big plus and would mean that they probably don't have to give the likes of Brogan games any more.

I think you're underestimating the publicity angle and also the fact that he will help them be more competitive sooner, as well as "protecting" Patton and Cameron in the next year or two, as they develop and grow (which they were probably hoping Folau would do). The fact he can pinch hit in the ruck would also be a big plus and would mean that they probably don't have to give the likes of Brogan games any more.

I did mention the publicity, but I don't like that angle. It'd be better publicity to have a team that is making finals in three years, and we should be doing everything possible to make that happen. Folau was publicity... how well did that work out on field? I like the look of Grundy, and it'd be crazy to pass him up. We do have reasonable ruck stocks with Brogan signing on for another year though. I'd like to see Tippett at GWS, it would be good for the short term. However, I just think Grundy > Tippett. Tippett, Cameron, and Patton in the same forward line seems overkill??

Maybe GWS list managers are happy with the development of Phillips and co though. They may be thinking that after Brogan retires, their current developing rucks will be good enough to play a role in 2014.

Don't rate Giles? He had a very strong first year. Certainly not a player I'd like to lose if he was on my team!

The contract talks went on for a very long period and the feeling all year has been that Giles wanted to be the no.1 ruckman whether it be with GWS or another club. With the recent strong rumours that GWS are looking at passing on Grundy I'm not discounting it when it has been mentioned as a central theme along with the money to his contract talks throughout the year.

Looking to get better every year so glad to hear I'm not going backward.

I've never liked the Hawthorn ruck divion. Just never seen that genuine franchise no.1 ruckman for these recent Hawthorn sides.

That said McBean I don't view as a ruckman despite his height. I rate him more highly as a KPP - though I'm expecting some varied views on his game. In there for now as a best available.

Hawthorn with those talls seem to like the more versatile talls - Hale and Roughead as those ruckmen who can go forward and I see McBean fitting in with that theme where he doesn't have those limitations to his game. McBean I see in a similar way where he could become that taller key defender as Lachlan Keeffe has for Collingwood or alternatively something else if required, perhaps another key forward.

It's a best available selection for Hawthorn anyway. Hrovat if he slides would be a great get, Pongracic as another inside midfielder could be looked at but I see him going mid-late 2nd round. Otherwise it could be something very different added, maybe another key defender if one of note slides.

Not sure another mature age ruckman is needed through the rookie draft - though Hawthorn have certainly showed that willingness to invest with McCauley and Pattison but I'm probably ok with Bailey/Hale/Roughead and see that as good enough to play with, with enough young ones developing. Two established no.1s in Bailey and Hale is plenty. I just don't see it as an effective recruiting method adding such a quantity of mature age ruckmen when other clubs are finding players in other positions who can find roles for teams through the rookie draft.
A franchise no.1 ruckman would be wonderful and is that relative missing link now that Lake has been added as that quality key defender but what's there at present is probably as good as possible until a McIntosh equivalent can be added through trade/free agency.

Yeah your right there hasn't been much to like about the Hawthorn Ruck division since Robert Campbell was forced into retirement at 27. 2009 was a disaster for injuries at Hawthorn, notably in the back line, but it was really the 2010 ruck injuries that derailed the season. At one point I remember Hodge rucking the entire match when we had no listed ruck man available. Renouf was the lone ruck and he was often out of breath in the last quarter.

We we a good team in 2010 but that really ruined whatever hope we had. Since then the club has always had a mature back up ruckman. And the reason for it is basically Max Bailey. The club is really having a leap of faith, hoping that he can become the beast ruckman that we need. Now that Lowden is 100+ kg there may no longer be a need for the back up.

I like the selection of McBean, he just seems to similar to Grimely for us to draft.

If that's the case GWS are completely stuffed and being run by a bunch of amateurs. Any club that would let a player dictate recruiting strategies is a doomed venture, what if Grundy slips down to pick 12 and is miles above the next player available, do they pass because they made a promise to Giles, it's ludicrous. Coaches can have some input into recruiting, if players are then your club is screwed.

You misread what I was saying. Giles wouldn't dictate recruiting strategies - rather passing on Grundy was already GWS's plan (and I don't necessarily agree with that), so they had no concerns about making such a commitment to Giles.

And if Grundy is still there at 12 I'd argue that Melbourne, the Bulldogs, Port and Richmond all ****ed up as well since none have a better ruck younger than almost 30.

Hiya Knightmare,

I've always enjoyed reading through your mock drafts and this year is no exception. I was wondering out of the draftees this year how you would rank them in terms a - pure ball winning potential and b - ability to play this year.

Cheers

Goatboy

Hey Knightmare... Love your work! Absolutely love it...

Just a question... Which players do you think have that "Star"quality....? Players you go to the game to watch... Potential House hold names....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back