Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey KM. Who would West Coast pick up with p11? Sheed/McCarthy or Acres

I expect Sheed will be available at pick 11 if that's where West Coast enter the draft.

Acres may be the other considered for the selection.

McCarthy I can't imagine would be on their shortlist with their deep group of key forwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane took him as a Simon Black replacement?

With so many players Brisbane are likely to trade on they'll be looking for more than just a Simon Black replacement.

There may also be a chance that someone slides to that Brisbane selection. Scharenberg perhaps as one example. Otherwise Lennon is another who I expect to receive strong consideration. McCarthy perhaps also with no quality young key forward options on that list.

Not at all clear cut what they do with that selection and so many list needs. It looks like a best available selection to me.

Also. Why is Crouch p17? Wasnt he supposed to be a top 10 pick?

I'd pick Crouch inside the top 5 and probably at pick 2. He's just not likely to go anywhere near that high on draft day with clubs more interested in others.

Clubs I feel continue to underrate pure inside, low flash types. And Crouch being an average kick, not a freak athlete like his brother and only 180cm is not a particularly fashionable selection with clubs looking for taller mids who can kick and have significant explosiveness.

I'd pick Crouch inside the top 5 and probably at pick 2. He's just not likely to go anywhere near that high on draft day with clubs more interested in others.

Clubs I feel continue to underrate pure inside, low flash types. And Crouch being an average kick, not a freak athlete like his brother and only 180cm is not a particularly fashionable selection with clubs looking for taller mids who can kick and have significant explosiveness.
So you value the crouch type higher than a Bontempelli type?

I expect Sheed will be available at pick 11 if that's where West Coast enter the draft.

Acres may be the other considered for the selection.

McCarthy I can't imagine would be on their shortlist with their deep group of key forwards.

Any chance Collingwood consider McCarthy at 10? After Cloke there is not a lot of KPF coming through i would have thought, Paine seems to have fallen out of favour and Reid is probably better at CHB?

So you value the crouch type higher than a Bontempelli type?

I wouldn't say type.

I'd rather have a taller midfielder who has pace and footskills rather than a shorter type who doesn't.

In the case of Crouch v Bontempelli I see it more as Crouch has that established midfield game which I'm confident will translate as someone who will always be first to the ball, reads the game so well and can effortlessly collect disposals and tackles.

Whereas Bontempelli still has some way to develop. The potential is there but there is no guarantee he develops into a midfielder firstly as someone who is more of a tall flanker at present. He's someone who has the genes and has the work ethic which leaves me optimistic about his development but he's not someone I can say with certainty will be a star or even a particularly high level player as someone who could go either way with his game not as established yet and no real one attribute other than perhaps his height that seperates him from the next guy.

Any chance Collingwood consider McCarthy at 10? After Cloke there is not a lot of KPF coming through i would have thought, Paine seems to have fallen out of favour and Reid is probably better at CHB?

Collingwood may consider McCarthy at 10.

Jesse White looks to be on his way in but Collingwood are lacking young key forward options so Collingwood will likely either go for McCarthy or if he's not evaluated as the best available then wait till next year in a draft with more key forwards to be of relevance inside the first round.

Hey KM is it true Melbourne were seriously considering Freeman and pick 2 and are still likely to get him at 9?

There was talk Melbourne may have considered Freeman at pick 2. Whether he would have been that eventual selection we can only speculate.

With pick 9 Freeman has been most widely been linked to that Melbourne choice. Salem is another who has been linked to Melbourne at that selection and could be that other consideration.

With Moore on the way, Coll won't reach for McCarthy.

As already been arranged he will divide duties between Coll's VFL side and his TAC Cup side. No APS commitments in 2014 as he is year 12 this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also. Why is Crouch p17? Wasnt he supposed to be a top 10 pick?
For one thing, clubs may be a bit turned off by his combine efforts, where he was apparently very, very ordinary in the beep test, 20m sprint and agility test. What I was told was that it was "slack to present like he did", so some clubs may be put off by that, if true and may prefer to draft someone who is busting their balls to give themselves every opportunity to get the best out of themselves. Hrovat was apparently similar last year though, and I doubt WB have any regrets over drafting him.

Bomtempelli at 2? Willsmore at 28? Miller at 60?
I don't see any of those happening.
I dont expect Bomtempelli to be looked at until pick 5, his potential is good but I can't imagine teams picking him over Kelly, Aish and Billings.
Willsmore plays KPF at 190 and just isn't big enough or quick enough to make it. Isn't that good of a prospect in my opinion. Didn't have a great year last year and neither did he this year.
I'd expect Miller to be taken much much higher than 60. mid 2nd round to mid 3rd round is where he will go not 60.

But these are just my opinions

With Moore on the way, Coll won't reach for McCarthy.

As already been arranged he will divide duties between Coll's VFL side and his TAC Cup side. No APS commitments in 2014 as he is year 12 this year.

It depends on how highly you rate Moore.

He hasn't done a whole lot to this point and I probably wouldn't draft him if the draft was tomorrow with roughly 10 other key position players I rate more highly.

He doesn't look like a first round talent to me and will require a strong offseason if he wants to go to Collingwood.

For one thing, clubs may be a bit turned off by his combine efforts, where he was apparently very, very ordinary in the beep test, 20m sprint and agility test. What I was told was that it was "slack to present like he did", so some clubs may be put off by that, if true and may prefer to draft someone who is busting their balls to give themselves every opportunity to get the best out of themselves. Hrovat was apparently similar last year though, and I doubt WB have any regrets over drafting him.

This goes against everything I have ever heard about Hrovat..........

KM,

Excellent work, makes for interesting reading. I see that you have moved Tom Shanahan, who originally was not in your phantom draft, to #62 and now to #37.

Is it his performance at state testing that has caused this or are you hearing talk about him ? The talk around the campfire at the EP footy club is that there are quite a few clubs showing interest and it looks like he may get picked up.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back