Koby Stevens a chance for Round 1 callup

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the common theory and most likely right but the same was said of Shuey's selection the year before and that looks like a stroke of genius. ;)

At the time of the draft I thought we would have seriously looked at Callum Bartlett of even Travis Colyer as another small forward option.

I also expected us to take a spare tall with Aaron Black when he was still available (another slider).

I don't think that was the case with Shuey. IIRC we drafted Shuey before Swift because we knew/suspected that Melbourne were going to take Shuey with pick 19, but they were not as keen on Swift so the gamble was made to take Swift at 20.

I don't think that was the case with Shuey. IIRC we drafted Shuey before Swift because we knew/suspected that Melbourne were going to take Shuey with pick 19, but they were not as keen on Swift so the gamble was made to take Swift at 20.

That is one hell of a gamble, especially if WCE thought Swift was better than Shuey. WCE have always chosen best available and I will therefore believe, until i see evidence to the contrary, that at that particular draft, WCE had L.Shuey rated ahead of T.Swift

That is one hell of a gamble, especially if WCE thought Swift was better than Shuey. WCE have always chosen best available and I will therefore believe, until i see evidence to the contrary, that at that particular draft, WCE had L.Shuey rated ahead of T.Swift

This also happened in the 2007 draft as well. We had picks 20 and 22, Melbourne had 21.

We felt that if we picked Selwood at 20, Melbourne would take Notte, but they wouldn't take Selwood if we took Notte at 20.

Sorry to contradict your AoW - but I have it in very good authority that what Frankenlynch said is exactly how it panned out.

All head recruiters have a wish list of player ratings coming into the draft. They also have created a 'guesstimate" draft, based on their belief of what other clubs will do, which is based on info they gleam, history of type of picks recruiters make, club needs etc. In most years, clubs will know pretty well how the 1st round will go a couple of days before.
In this situation, it was part of Woodhouse's team to accurately guess Melbourne's movements. I know very well a member of Woodhouses team and I can say WC "knew" Melb had the order Blease, Shuey, Strauss then Swift. WC got the 2 footballers they wanted because they gambled on this fact.
And lets be honest the difference between 18 and 20 is negligeable as Melb have indicated by suggesting Scully and Trengove were both worthy of #1

Sorry to contradict your AoW - but I have it in very good authority that what Frankenlynch said is exactly how it panned out.

All head recruiters have a wish list of player ratings coming into the draft. They also have created a 'guesstimate" draft, based on their belief of what other clubs will do, which is based on info they gleam, history of type of picks recruiters make, club needs etc. In most years, clubs will know pretty well how the 1st round will go a couple of days before.
In this situation, it was part of Woodhouse's team to accurately guess Melbourne's movements. I know very well a member of Woodhouses team and I can say WC "knew" Melb had the order Blease, Shuey, Strauss then Swift. WC got the 2 footballers they wanted because they gambled on this fact.
And lets be honest the difference between 18 and 20 is negligeable as Melb have indicated by suggesting Scully and Trengove were both worthy of #1

You may be right. I do find it hard that to believe a Melbourne recruiter would proffer that information to the enemy which leaves us with a question. What do our recruiters do to find out which players other clubs/recruiters favour?

The difference in 18 and 20 is not negligible, by your own account you are saying that the research WCE recruiters did on the Melbourne recruiters netted us the two players we wanted most in Swift and Shuey instead of 1/2 of our wish list.

Woodhouse knows his shit. Plain and simple. We fricken r*ped that draft, Swift and Shuey were steals, irrespective of what numbers they were drafted.

Standing Vertical Jump (cm)
1. Nicholas Naitanui - 78cm
2. Shaun McKernan – 74cm
3. Tom Swift – 72cm
=3. Stephen Hill – 72cm
4. Jack Watts – 70cm
=4. Sam Blease – 70cm
5. Ryan Schoenmakers – 69cm
6. Nick Heyne – 69cm
=6. Bryce Carroll – 69cm
7. Michael Gugliotta – 67cm
=7. Ashley Smith – 67cm
=7. Alistair Smith – 67cm

20-Metre Sprint (seconds)
1. Ashley Smith – 2.80
2. Jack Watts – 2.82
3. Stephen Hill – 2.83
4. Nicholas Naitanui – 2.86
5. Tom Swift – 2.89

6. Ryan Shoenmakers – 2.90
7. Nick Heyne – 2.91

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/#sidebar-start

=7. Sam Blease – 2.91
=8. Luke Shuey – 2.92
=8. Taylor Hunt – 2.92
=8. Matthew DeBoer – 2.92

Agility (seconds)
1. Stephen Hill – 7.77 (new record)
2. Jack Watts – 8.03
3. James Strauss – 8.18
4. Nick Suban – 8.25
5. Ayce Cordy – 8.27
6. Shaun McKernan – 8.31
7. Neville Jetta – 8.32
=7. Dan Hannebery – 8.32
8. Luke Shuey – 8.34
9. Liam Jones – 8.35

Shuttle run / beep test (level)
1. Chris Hall – 14.6
2. Rory Sloane – 14.5
=2. Steele Sidebottom – 14.5
3. Luke Shuey – 14.4
4. Jarrad Blight – 14.3
=4. Tyson Slattery – 14.3
5. Dan Hannebery - `14.2
=5. Ian Richardson – 14.2
6. Tom Lynch – 14.1
=6. Tom Swift – 14.1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In this situation, it was part of Woodhouse's team to accurately guess Melbourne's movements.I know very well a member of Woodhouses team and I can say WC "knew" Melb had the order Blease, Shuey, Strauss then Swift. WC got the 2 footballers they wanted because they gambled on this fact.
You wouldn't make this sort of thing up would you...................................wheres the guess work when you know another teams selection order.............................not only were Melbourne targeting Shuey but amazingly the four players taken from 17-20 were on their list and even more amazing is that Woodhouse had that list and rated two of the four as our targets.

Matt Burgan says hi, your making my research look nasty. I forgot to mention WCE hired a PI to uncover the draft selection order of the faultless and perfect Dees recruiters with their perfect track record. Damn that PI, he double crossed me! :eek: Double damn that Woodhouse is good, he snared the two guns and the Dees got two duds!

"quote"
28 – ADELAIDE – LUKE SHUEY
Oakleigh Chargers, VIC, Medium midfielder, June 2, 1990, 183.5cm, 87.6kg
(Draft range: 15-40)

Most regard Shuey as a 20s/early 30s selection, although there is a suggestion Geelong could take him with its first pick at No.15. The Lions and Tigers are right in the hunt and the Crows have also been strongly linked for several weeks. Don't expect him to drift any further than Carlton (No.40).

For the record Burgan's selections

17 – MELBOURNE – TOM LYNCH

18 – WEST COAST EAGLES – TOM SWIFT

ROUND TWO

19 – MELBOURNE – JORDAN ROUGHEAD

20 – WEST COAST – RYAN SCHOENMAKERS

I hate to sound cynical, but the facts point to WCE openly targeting the knee reco lad Swift and secretively targeting Shuey.

Back to the post I made about Weedon "quote"

That is the common theory and most likely right but the same was said of Shuey's selection the year before and that looks like a stroke of genius. ;)

Popular opinion was Shuey was taken about half a round early by WCE - same scenario with Weedon.

Back to my original comment

Weedon was taken before Stevens, how good is Weedon then. ;)

Will be playing for the Sharks again next week you'd think.

Will be interesting to see if Shuey gets a game

Not sure if Shuey will get up for round 1.

Travelling to Brissy, I can see us going with a conservative-bigger bodied lineup. If its wet though his chances of playing are greater imo.

Those stats are only to 3 quarter time. If you click on the 4th quarter you will see that nothing has been entered for EF. I think he ended up with 22 possessions and a goal.

Oh didnt notice that :p

Thought something was odd when I had seen a couple people mention his goal but no goal on the stats sheet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Koby Stevens a chance for Round 1 callup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back