Player Watch Lcoemwe to Port Adelaide Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Yuck 41 and future 2nd. That’s a foul offer and we’re idiots if we do have that on the table.

Richmond lose him for nothing next year. Like actually nothing.

He played 8 games this season, is 3rd in line ruck and is a Scott lycett level stopgap for us:

That’s a 4th rounder trade, which I could understand Richmond not taking.

We’re going to burn 2 drafts (this years and next) going after list filling types we could have developed.

Hence we threw everything at Grundy (alas his missus did not see her medical career progressing in SA).
We should’ve offered her a place as club doctor, unless the nepotism only extends as far as the coaches family.

This will get done. Richmond dont have many draft picks and theres no point in holding him for another year
I think this is a likely scenario.
I like him as a player.
Tough as nails, good overhead and a very good set shot for goal.
I'd rather keep him, but I think he's exactly what Port needs.

Yuck 41 and future 2nd. That’s a foul offer and we’re idiots if we do have that on the table.

Richmond lose him for nothing next year. Like actually nothing.

He played 8 games this season, is 3rd in line ruck and is a Scott lycett level stopgap for us:

That’s a 4th rounder trade, which I could understand Richmond not taking.

We’re going to burn 2 drafts (this years and next) going after list filling types we could have developed.
Last roll of the dice for Hinkley though. Bugger the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soldo isn't 3rd in line at Richmond....well he is and he isn't. He is arguably a better #1 ruck than Nankervis but he is our captain so he isn't missing out. I assume Norris was talking about Samson Ryan as the 2nd option. He is definitely not better currently than Soldo as a ruckman, but he can play forward and has a higher ceiling than both Nankervis and Soldo.

In short - Soldo is arguably our best ruckman, but it's 1st ruck or not in the team for him. You guys will like him if a deal gets done. His tap work is elite and he's a bit of a campaigner, which is a pretty crucial attribute for a big man IMO.

Edit: Also it seemed to take a fair while to get over the ACL but he looked much more mobile in the back end of the season.

Last edited:
We're paying overs because Hinkley and co. are desperate to avoid a bottom 8 finish. That will tip a lot more supporters into the sack Hinkley camp. The club ignored the obvious solution weeks back - appoint a new coach.
We are probably being a bit desperate but i don't think it is to avoid a bottom 8 finish, i think we genuinely think we are in the premiership window so are pushing hard towards that. whether that is right or wrong is up for debate. But i don't think the club is even thinking about a bottom 8 finish.

Having a competent ruckman for our young and promising midfield will make a big difference. And won't cost a fortune like Grundy.

Yeah, happy to overpay for a pretty decent player in a position of need. Not even sure a couple of mediocre magic beans is overpaying.

Certainly beats overpaying for poor (Zerk-Thatcher) and unproven (Ratugloea) players.

Don't think this deal is as bad as people are making out. Severe overrating of draft picks.
Yep I'm OK with getting in more mature players instead of more kids that'll need developing, when we already have plenty in that bracket, and especially in positions where they generally need a few years before they're ready. Worry about the draft again in a year or two.

I think the whole industry generally overrates draft picks. If a known quantity is available and will instantly improve the list with mid range picks you go for it.

I think the first round the chances are much higher of striking gold but with the mid range picks of 20-40 - not sure the strike rate would be that much better than some of the later draft or rookie picks.

for every Willem Drew there is a Joe Atley.

Soldo isn't 3rd in line at Richmond....well he is and he isn't. He is arguably a better #1 ruck than Nankervis but he is our captain so he isn't missing out. I assume Norris was talking about Samson Ryan as the 2nd option. He is definitely not better currently than Soldo as a ruckman, but he can play forward and has a higher ceiling than both Nankervis and Soldo.

In short - Soldo is arguably our best ruckman, but it's 1st ruck or not in the team for him. You guys will like him if a deal gets done. His tap work is elite and he's a bit of a campaigner, which is a pretty crucial attribute for a big man IMO.

Edit: Also it seemed to take a fair while to get over the ACL but he looked much more mobile in the back end of the season.

agree with all this

A premiership ruckman, whose best footy is still ahead of him

Big tough umbre, who took Gawn to the cleaners for half the game, until Soldo tired, Goodwin tore shreds off Gawn at half time and then Gawn dominated

Bloody hell, a fair minded supporter during trade week.

We should have you bronzed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lcoemwe to Port Adelaide Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back