Leongatha Mushroom Deaths - VIC *Erin Patterson charged with 3 counts of murder & 2 attempts

Remove this Banner Ad

Even Ms Marple wasn't expecting this!

View attachment 1774994

From the article: “His understanding was that Ms Patterson’s explanation for the drawings was “she’s gone out or something and the kids were there and had done that while they were out”.”

Yeah, nah, I call BS on that one. This isn’t the sort of masterpiece that gets produced in an hour whilst mum’s at the shops.

The markings with the names and the dates are (child) height markers, hence the different dates.
I’m heavily editing my comment now because I’ve just realised this photo clearly shows what are very likely the first names of both of the children, and that doesn’t sit right with me.

Last edited:
Milk Thistle extract. Heaps of it. You can buy it from the chemist, even supermarkets have it.
The problem is it takes up to 48 hours for amatoxin poisoning to present itself, which means by the time you figured out you got to have 2,000kg of milk thistle, you're probably already on your way to an early death.

I always take Milk Thistle when I consume magic mushrooms, just in case some amatoxins found themselves in my batch.
Good tip too if someone gives you some shroomies and you DON'T get high from them- smash that milk thistle, you mighta had some funeral bells by accident, they look very much like the subaeruginosa with the good stuff in them :)
You are a very clever & organised psychonaut, which may explain why you are still around to kindly share your experience. The active ingredient is silibinin, which is, as you say effective if given before or very early after ingestion, like about 10 or 15 minutes. There may be some benefit later but it hasn't been well studied. Its pretty clear the benefit diminishes pretty quickly and probably by the time most people present with gastrointestinal symptoms it won't be effective at all. Your solution is ingenious.

I've always kept an interest in Mushroom toxicology. In a past life, about 30 years go I help looked after a couple of travellers from WA who had Amanita poisoning, the husband died shortly after transfer to the Austin and the wife spent a good deal of time ventilated in ICU getting haemodialysis. Nasty business.

She cries in that media interview, but there are no tears …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leak and mushroom Duxelle.

'Leongatha mushroom deaths: ‘I’ve been painted as evil witch’, laments Erin Patterson

EXCLUSIVE

By JOHN FERGUSON

8:26PM AUGUST 15, 2023
...Ms Patterson denied releasing the statement she made to police, detailing her version of events that led to the deaths of her former parents-in-law Don and Gail Patterson and another elderly woman, Gail Wilkinson.

In the statement, Ms Patterson confirms for the first time that her estranged husband Simon Patterson, who lives at nearby Korumburra, about 120km southeast of Melbourne, had accused her of poisoning his parents on July 29.

“I didn’t put any statement out,’’ she said on Tuesday.

“I have no idea how it got out. I made a statement to the police"
It could take weeks or even months for the toxicology reports to be finalised into how the three elderly people died, however police are confident it was the result of the victims having been served death cap mushrooms.

The Australian can also reveal that the fourth victim, Baptist pastor Ian Wilkinson, is not on the list for a donor liver at the Austin Hospital, potentially giving police and his family cause for optimism that he can survive his illness.

This does not mean that Mr Wilkinson is still not gravely ill after the lunch, but sources said it could suggest his liver is not as badly damaged as first reported.

If he recovers, it would provide the police with a potential second witness from the lunch, depending on his recovery.
Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine head of forensic pathology Dr Linda Iles said that in some cases it could take “a very long time’’ for all tests to be conducted and results to be collated.

She said it depended on the complexity of the toxicology and the circumstances in each individual case
...'

'

I think we can well and truly discount any theories involving 'magic' mushroom dishes gone wrong. The two most prolific of their kind in Australia bear absolutely no resemblance to edible mushrooms. They look like toadstools, are slimy and taste revolting. No possible mistaken identity.
What. Cubensis and Subaeruginosa don’t look like toadstools at all- they usually have long, thin stipes (stems). They aren’t slimy. Taste is fine, dehydrate it and you can disguise it easily.

They are both “little brown mushrooms”, and look close to many edible mushrooms.

That said, death caps look more like edible mushrooms, and have been mistaken for edible mushrooms a few times over the years.

Young people are hospitalised every day in winter in Australia after overindulging.
That’s… just not true. Magic mushrooms aren’t toxic. Stored correctly they last for years too, so dunno why that would only cause issues in Winter.

I am not aware of any deaths, even after consumption of 100!.
This is true. You can eat as many as you like. The sky is the limit, not even!!!

Yesterday this case reached the dog ate my dog's homework level of madness.

Today, the madness ramped up a notch, with the revelation of Satanic DIY death wallpaper graffiti in the ex-family home.

And the Daily Mirror claiming that VIC Police had solved the case.

'11:14, 15 Aug 2023'

'On Friday, Victoria Police revealed that their suspicions of Erin having purposefully killed her dinner guests were mislead and that they have cleared her of all charges, saying that it was a tragic accident.'

What. Cubensis and Subaeruginosa don’t look like toadstools at all- they usually have long, thin stipes (stems). They aren’t slimy. Taste is fine, dehydrate it and you can disguise it easily.

They are both “little brown mushrooms”, and look close to many edible mushrooms.

That said, death caps look more like edible mushrooms, and have been mistaken for edible mushrooms a few times over the years.

That’s… just not true. Magic mushrooms aren’t toxic. Stored correctly they last for years too, so dunno why that would only cause issues in Winter.

This is true. You can eat as many as you like. The sky is the limit, not even!!!

I think we're both confusing the definition of mushrooms and "toadstools". I probably started it in my post. In actual fact all fungi are just varieties of the fruiting bodies of mushrooms. Toadstool is just a made-up term for fungi you can't eat. It probably started in fairy tales and Noddy books.

Regarding your aforementioned subs and cubes, l'm pretty sure if 100 people were shown a photo of them, 99% would say they're Toadstools and you can't eat them. They look nothing like edible fungi. Laccaria are probably the closest edible species in terms of resemblance. I forage for the latter because I know what l'm doing.

I probably didn't clarify the bit about people being hospitalised due to overindulgence of magic mushrooms. People present to emergency because they have had more than they can mentally handle (bad trips) and are convinced they are going to die. I specified "in
winter" because most emergencies occur with first-time users who have swallowed copious amounts of seasonal fresh ones. As you said,
nobody dies. Toxicity is subjective. I'd take issue with them "tasting fine" though. They're revolting and slimy no matter how they're prepared.

Bottom line is that the only mushroom capable
of causing fatalities like this is Amanita Phalloides. If traces of this are detected in the dehydrator she has admitted to owning (see my post #118) then it's an 'inside job'.

Last edited:
Uh oh - according to a “friend” Erin and her ex husband were experienced mushroom foragers.

Just picked up on this;

• Fifth relative is a 'person of interest' in police investigation

Last edited:
Uh oh - according to a “friend” Erin and her ex husband were experienced mushroom foragers.

Just picked up on this;

This is getting a bit unseemly now. A bit like a trial playing out outside a courtroom.

Pretty irresponsible journalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom line is that the only mushroom capable
of causing fatalities like this is Amanita Phalloides. If traces of this are detected in the dehydrator she has admitted to owning (see my post #118) then it's an 'inside job'.
I don’t think bad trips are that much of an issue, i live backing onto a national forest I see kids pocking everyday in winter, everyone seems to be having a good time :)

Gallerinas are deadly as well btw. Same toxin I think- they don’t look edible but they are incredibly similar to magic shrooms, they’ve caused a few deaths but none since 2016 here in Australia I think.

Gotta be careful picking!!

Just picked up on this;

If she was an expert fungi forager, why the need to buy dried fungi?
Especially stuff with only a handwritten label. Could be laced with ice for all she knew.

A bit like a grow your own cannabis expert, buying cannabis “gear” from a dealer and not knowing what shit is actually in the gear.

If she was an expert fungi forager, why the need to buy dried fungi?
Especially stuff with only a handwritten label. Could be laced with ice for all she knew.

A bit like a grow your own cannabis expert, buying cannabis “gear” from a dealer and not knowing what s**t is actually in the gear.

Season 6 Bip GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Loose bog standard Aussie mushrooms going for AUD$6.99/kg in Western Sydney today.
Can anyone beat that?

BTW: Just cooked/ate them in an all day breakfast fry up lunch. I feel great.

Evidence View attachment 1775907
Do you have a death wall?

I don't think it will take too long to sort this. It's a unique case so definitely worthy of all the kerfuffle though.

• The suspect is allegedly an experienced forager of fungi. Foragers know what to avoid and they're fully aware of mixing edible mushrooms with toxic specimens, even by touch and contact.
  • You can't just "scrape away" one ingredient of a dish to appease guests or kids. If you're a good cook the flavour will remain.
  • She admits to having discarded a dehydrator she owned.
  • There are no valid reasons whatsoever to buy or use bogus or dodgy dried fungi at this time of year. I can buy 12 varieties of healthy, tasty, fresh shrooms at my local market in autumn and winter
  • Why on earth would anyone want to dehydrate sinister, suspect fungi anyway?
  • Traces of Amanita Phalloides, if it's the culprit, will remain in the mechanism of a dehydrator due to the extraction process. The only way to avoid this would be to emerse and boil the whole shebang before dumping. What normal person would do that?
    * When fungi are dried, depending on the species, it is possible to dehydrate a kilo, grind them into powder, then end up with 75g of concentrate. That's how gourmet mushroom
    spices are made; why they're so expensive and why they taste so good. Mix this with just one Death Cap processed the same way.

This woman is a sprig short of a footy boot.🤣🤣

Let’s not jump to conclusions based off limited and maybe biased reporting (see bill Spedding)

At this stage it appears there’s enough to consider the mum, dad and kids as suspects or an accident. If it was the mum, who is to say we even know why, she could have been a victim of sustained DV, just because families are religious doesn’t mean they are angels.

I guess all I am saying is there is an easy conclusion to draw based off what we have seen reported but we definitely don’t have all the facts.

Let’s not jump to conclusions based off limited and maybe biased reporting (see bill Spedding)

At this stage it appears there’s enough to consider the mum, dad and kids as suspects or an accident. If it was the mum, who is to say we even know why, she could have been a victim of sustained DV, just because families are religious doesn’t mean they are angels.

I guess all I am saying is there is an easy conclusion to draw based off what we have seen reported but we definitely don’t have all the facts.
Well may as well close thread then

Remove this Banner Ad

Leongatha Mushroom Deaths - VIC *Erin Patterson charged with 3 counts of murder & 2 attempts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back