Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not that certain that Wells and Beetson wanted to work with Choco. It’s a bit like Koch claiming post presidency that he tried to get Clarko, Roos or who ever.

When back in 2004? Or now after listening to the podcast?

Sounds like Choco was the only person working his arse off, I thought it was reality that no one wanted to come and work with him?

The interview was about his time at Port and then other clubs. He praised plenty of others. People ask him a question about what he did, what the bloody hell is he supposed to say - oh no let me be humble and talk about everyone else, even though you asked me about me.

Clarko took Andrew Russell and we got Darren Burgess, were we that worse off?

****ing Oath we were worse off with a coach who wanted to turn our players into skinny middle distance runners. Russell was an 800/1500m runner so he knew you don't turn AFL players into stick insects.

How many assistant coaches has Clarko lost and yet any excuses, any whingeing, any blame game and yet he still attracts people who want to work with him
Lets see when Clarko gets sacked and interviewed and how much whingeing he does then.

35K breakeven is bullsh1t!

Taking out the Big 4 VIC teams, who all benefit from pumping up each other’s figures with multiple Showdown-esque fixtures per year, only the Eagles, Crows and Dockers average over 35K.

We’re averaging 34K this year.

Everyone else i.e. 10 teams including the likes of Hawthorn and Geelong are below that.

And we can’t make any money.

Farce.

Grow the pie, Port.

Choco speaks as if he Wengerlutionised the league but I love it, the opposite of that arrogance is the meekness we have too much of

I maintain that if you offered me Hinkley out, Choco in on a 2 year deal, cut priced so we can absorb some of the Hinkley payout, i'd take it.

Choco had his issues but it seems like a magical fairytale compared to the last 5 years.

35K breakeven is bullsh1t!

Taking out the Big 4 VIC teams, who all benefit from pumping up each other’s figures with multiple Showdown-esque fixtures per year, only the Eagles, Crows and Dockers average over 35K.

We’re averaging 34K this year.

Everyone else i.e. 10 teams including the likes of Hawthorn and Geelong are below that.

And we can’t make any money.

Farce.

50,000 members is something sporting clubs all over the world could only dream of.

The AFL really ****ed football in this state by tying it to the SANFL. Why did they get into bed with them? It was such a bad idea then and it's been a bad idea ever since. I absolutely agree that money from professional football has to filter down to the grass roots, but under the current system, that money filters down to organisations run by part timers and nepotists with no real oversight.

The quicker the SANFL collapses and is replaced by an AFLSA type comp, the better. We really, really need the Crows to have an extended run in the wilderness so this sort of shit gets challenged properly.

When back in 2004? Or now after listening to the podcast?

Listening to podcast but a known fact that Choco scared everybody off in interviews and was well known as buyer beware, no matter how hard he worked his arse off

The interview was about his time at Port and then other clubs. He praised plenty of others. People ask him a question about what he did, what the bloody hell is he supposed to say - oh no let me be humble and talk about everyone else, even though you asked me about me.

Yep. great leaders build and develop great teams, they are not “me” people. Why Roos is unlikely to ever be interested in telling me stories or the Clarko story will always be about “team” not him

******* Oath we were worse off with a coach who wanted to turn our players into skinny middle distance runners. Russell was an 800/1500m runner so he knew you don't turn AFL players into stick insects.

I thought Burgo was the guy

Lets see when Clarko gets sacked and interviewed and how much whingeing he does then.

If the financial rumours are true, what I don’t understand is how when there’s a Board Governance expert as Vice chair, our Chair is a self proclaimed financial wizz and there are three accountants on our board.

How could this be?
A ten seat board is farcical and possibly a reflection on how rubbish they think the executive team is. But to then fill 9 spots with non-football people (maybe 8 if we count Cahill) is so far from best practice it isn’t funny.

It really should be a 4 with mixture of corporate governance, accounting/finance, legal and media/marketing backgrounds and another 3-4 with football and professional sporting backgrounds.

50,000 members is something sporting clubs all over the world could only dream of.

The AFL really f’ed football in this state by tying it to the SANFL. Why did they get into bed with them? It was such a bad idea then and it's been a bad idea ever since. I absolutely agree that money from professional football has to filter down to the grass roots, but under the current system, that money filters down to organisations run by part timers and nepotists with no real oversight.

The quicker the SANFL collapses and is replaced by an AFLSA type comp, the better. We really, really need the Crows to have an extended run in the wilderness so this sort of s**t gets challenged properly.

Why do we have our breakeven figure tied to physical attendance anyway? I know not all of our members are 11-gamers but the majority would be and after bundling the 3-gamers together we’d have well in excess of 40K full time equivalent seats bought and paid for.

Why should we be penalised for bad weather and worse coaching?

A few things that screw us at Adelaide oval are Rob Lucas’s Adelaide oval levy, and the sanfl using our games as a means to fund their competition. You can’t take millions a year out of the place and it not impact the tenants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Electricity costs lol.

Once again Rucci has an opportunity to use his voice to do something good but he ends up doing the opposite thing to undermine the club.

Once a ferrethead always a ferrethead

Old PAFC proverb

The talk about our flamin' ordinary 2015-2019 record jogged memories of which other club most reminded me of our current era from years gone by.

I trekked back on whom I remember from the 90s to when I first watched footy up until today. The Richmond sides of the 90s in both list profile and general ladder finishes rang a bell so I looked at the numbers

Rich's record from 1995-1999 was 57 wins, 52 losses, 1 draw from 110 games in the H&A season.

Our 2015-2019 record is 58 wins, 51 losses from 109 games during the H&A, with 1 game left of course.

Thats pretty friggen close right, but it gets weirder.

Richmond beat 4 of the 5 reigning premiers in the years 1995/1997/1998/1999.

We too beat 4 of the 5 reigning premiers in 2015/2017/2018/2019.

Both teams only made finals once during that period.

3 players from both periods made the AA squads (Wingard/Gray/Ryder) compared to the Tigers (Richardson/Knights/Campbell).

I'm sure theres more similarities but outright the most ridiculous stat was Richmond winning all 11 home games in 1998 and still missing finals.

Somehow we've never quite durped that badly, but 11-4 and missing finals is still pretty close lol.

Its pretty wild how much money the SANFL make from Adelaide Oval given they add literally nothing to the equation.
We needed to get away from Footy Park, but Christ the previous State government cluster****ed the administration. 'Here SACA/SANFL' you can have half a Billion to have the best Stadium in the country and one that has a multitude of fans around the world singing it's praises every summer. Oh and SANFL you can still bleed the two AFL clubs dry, that little thing that necessitated a move to the city.

I get despite us all hating them, we were probably going to cop the SANFL having some part of AO, but it should have been 6 SACA, 2 Port, 2 Crows, 2 SANFL setup on the SMA board, with a Government appointed Chairman.

Love the last line

Nothing on Blue Sky for Port’s new board member
Newly installed Port Adelaide Football Club director Andrew Day has an impressive resume, including CEO and board experience across industry sectors including telecommunications, online technologies and investment and asset management.
Indeed, many of these are listed on the former CEO and executive director of Hastings Funds Management’s Port website and LinkedIn profiles.
There is, however, one prominent role that is not listed. Day was chairman of the high-profile Blue Sky Alternative Investments, which went into receivership in May.
Admittedly, it was a relatively brief role. Day was appointed chairman of the Brisbane-based fund manager in November last year and resigned in June. We can find no public comment from him about the firm’s demise.
There is another Adelaide link here. At Blue Sky, Day replaced John Kain as chairman. Kain is the founder and managing director of Adelaide-based Kain lawyer. Perhaps more notably, he in March last year hosted 400 Liberal Party elite at his eastern suburbs property for a garden party to celebrate the-then Sturt MP Christopher Pyne’s 25 years in Federal Parliament.
Day, an Adelaide University graduate in engineering and science, is based in Melbourne. Business associates say he is an experienced financial and infrastructure operative who is held in high regard within his extensive networks.
In Port circles he has been touted as a China expert, who has good connections with a State Owned Enterprise in the country that the Power have tried to obtain funding from.
Off the Record asked Port if it could speak to Day on his appointment to the board and his experience in China, but was told that Chairman David Koch was the sole spokesperson for the club’s Board —
Simeon Thomas-Wilson

Love the last line

Nothing on Blue Sky for Port’s new board member
Newly installed Port Adelaide Football Club director Andrew Day has an impressive resume, including CEO and board experience across industry sectors including telecommunications, online technologies and investment and asset management.
Indeed, many of these are listed on the former CEO and executive director of Hastings Funds Management’s Port website and LinkedIn profiles.
There is, however, one prominent role that is not listed. Day was chairman of the high-profile Blue Sky Alternative Investments, which went into receivership in May.
Admittedly, it was a relatively brief role. Day was appointed chairman of the Brisbane-based fund manager in November last year and resigned in June. We can find no public comment from him about the firm’s demise.
There is another Adelaide link here. At Blue Sky, Day replaced John Kain as chairman. Kain is the founder and managing director of Adelaide-based Kain lawyer. Perhaps more notably, he in March last year hosted 400 Liberal Party elite at his eastern suburbs property for a garden party to celebrate the-then Sturt MP Christopher Pyne’s 25 years in Federal Parliament.
Day, an Adelaide University graduate in engineering and science, is based in Melbourne. Business associates say he is an experienced financial and infrastructure operative who is held in high regard within his extensive networks.
In Port circles he has been touted as a China expert, who has good connections with a State Owned Enterprise in the country that the Power have tried to obtain funding from.
Off the Record asked Port if it could speak to Day on his appointment to the board and his experience in China, but was told that Chairman David Koch was the sole spokesperson for the club’s Board —
Simeon Thomas-Wilson
So hang on, we appointed to our board the guy that wreaked Blue Sky AI? Are you serious?

Edit: he didn't wreak it, but signed the death certificate. Still, interesting appointment.

So hang on, we appointed to our board the guy that wreaked Blue Sky AI? Are you serious?

Edit: he didn't wreak it, but signed the death certificate. Still, interesting appointment.
He was appointed in November 2018 to help find a CEO and stabilize it, after it had lost $120m in the previous 15 months. It was never a long term appointment. But the situation was so hopeless he called in the receivers.

But the situation was so hopeless he called in the receivers
Day didn't call in the receivers. One of the major secured creditors (Oaklands) called in the receivers.

But its interesting how the article paints the picture of Day being the one who killed the investment company. Ignoring that all the problems occured before he was appointed Chairman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back