Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh carr when he came back to ports was disappointing.

Josh Carr never losing a showdown is under rated. I bet that would shit ricciuto

The one handed pickup on the wing .. 🫠🫠
Even overthinking dermis was lost for words

I've been doing this footy thing for a while not as long as some of you old campaigners ..

But JHF would be in the top 10 AFL port players already?

Interesting question you've posed there.

Just off the top of my head with no real thought given (and in no particular order):
  • Tredrea
  • K Cornes
  • C Cornes
  • P Burgoyne
  • S Burgoyne
  • Wanganeen
  • Boak
  • Gray
  • Cassisi
  • Wines
  • Lade

I think 40ish games is way too early to proclaiming him in the top 10 of Port's best AFL players. What I'll say though is that his potential is limitless and I won't be surprised when he hangs up his boots to be revered as one of the greatest players to ever wear the Port Adelaide jumper - both at SANFL and AFL level.

For impact per possession, I would back Jason against currently anyone. He already makes us a genuine contender and as others have said, he's already the spiritual leader of this group.

Remember when the Victorian media said Cyril Rioli was the goat because he'd average 15 possessions per game but the quality of those disposals meant it was like he was getting 30? JHF's use of the footy is the best in the competition imo, and to get 25 JHF possessions is worth any other player getting 40+.

Just off the top of my head with no real thought given (and in no particular order):
  • Tredrea
  • K Cornes
  • C Cornes
  • P Burgoyne
  • S Burgoyne
  • Wanganeen
  • Boak
  • Gray
  • Cassisi
  • Wines
  • Lade
Cassisi would struggle to make our top 50 players.

Cassisi would struggle to make our top 50 players.

Premiership player, captain of the Club - 230 odd games.

Underrated career. Not saying top 10 but underrated relative to others.

Last edited:
4 X Fos Williams aka best team man also won by such luminaries as Jasper Pittard and Troy Chaplin. Dom wasn't that great. But the rest of the list is hard to beat
Yeah no idea why I wrote B&F - sleep deprived due to the Olympics.

Interesting question you've posed there.

• Tredrea
  • K Cornes
  • C Cornes
  • P Burgoyne
  • S Burgoyne
  • Wanganeen
  • Boak
  • Gray
  • Cassisi
  • Wines
  • Lade

I think 40ish games is way too early to proclaiming him in the top 10 of Port's best AFL players. What I'll say though is that his potential is limitless and I won't be surprised when he hangs up his boots to be revered as one of the greatest players to ever wear the Port Adelaide jumper - both at SANFL and AFL level.

Remember when the Victorian media said Cyril Rioli was the goat because he'd average 15 possessions per game but the quality of those disposals meant it was like he was getting 30? JHF's use of the footy is the best in the competition imo, and to get 25 JHF possessions is worth any other player getting 40+.
Francou over Dom easily

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, I did one a while ago on this site and the lack of Boak or Boak late was a thing for people.

1. Warren Tredrea
2. Robbie Gray
3. Gavin Wanganeen
4. Chad Cornes
5. Shaun Burgoyne
6. Chad Wingard
7. Matthew Primus
8. Peter Burgoyne
9. Josh Francou
10. Kane Cornes

After 8, it starts to get difficult. Boak could easily be in there at 9.

Roger James could be in there ?

Heck, Dan Houston could be close now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Michael Wilson in my top 10, but it's possible I'm an even bigger fan of Wilbur than his own mum. He makes my all time top 4 favourite Port players, along with Russell, Greg Phillips and Martin Leslie. Robbie Gray comes in at 5

Yeah, I did one a while ago on this site and the lack of Boak or Boak late was a thing for people.

1. Warren Tredrea
2. Robbie Gray
3. Gavin Wanganeen
4. Chad Cornes
5. Shaun Burgoyne
6. Chad Wingard
7. Matthew Primus
8. Peter Burgoyne
9. Josh Francou
10. Kane Cornes

After 8, it starts to get difficult. Boak could easily be in there at 9.
Only thing I would say about this list is only one bloke had the leauge change/adopt a rule to curb his influence. If nothing else, this should tell you just how dominant a prime and uninhibited/fit Primus was. Heck even on one leg he was a force. Watch his ‘last match’ in ‘04 against Brisbane at Footy Park.

I'd have Michael Wilson in my top 10, but it's possible I'm an even bigger fan of Wilbur than his own mum. He makes my all time top 4 favourite Port players, along with Russell, Greg Phillips and Martin Leslie. Robbie Gray comes in at 5
Yep, 15 was my number for years because of the great man! If there was more Wilbur in the world society would be in a better place. He is what this list needs!

And this is why the top 10 or team of the decade/history are so good, but cause so much distress, views are so differing and everything is subjective.

Trav makes my team of the period, AFL, 25 years, 50 years, maybe 100 years. But not my top 10 footballers. May make a top 10 in culture greats, Fos, Big Bob, Bucky, John, Choco, Motley, Boulton, Boak…

I can absolutely get on board with someone making an argument for Wilbur as a top 10 AFL era player depend on the criteria you're using. If he has exactly the same career in Victoria he has a reputation somewhere around Glenn Archer. One where the individual accolades really don't match the output at all.

I think Tredrea, Gray and Wanganeen are clearly ahead of Boak at this stage, but he's got a strong argument to be ahead of anyone else.

I know the Brownlow isn't a perfect metric but it compares him to our other midfielders, and I don't think anyone would be close to his 0.52 votes per game across his career. The current big 3 certainly could get there, but it's a big ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back