Roast Lewis jetta- what to do

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed in NAB Cup he regularly started in the middle and played closer to the contest for much of the pre-season.
Not sure if we are trying to partially modify his role or not, but he just isn't getting into space.
Now partly that is because he is being tagged, partly because he may not be working hard enough, but also IMO partly because he looks somewhat confused about his role in the team.

It would be terrific to see him break from stoppages (as per Goodes at his best), but at present his greatest value to the team is on the outside.
He's still a young guy. He's still getting used to being tagged and he clearly is struggling to break them.

I thought tonight, when he was struggling, there was the opportunity to switch him fwd and to have told him he would be judged on pressure acts, not necessarily goals kicked/assists etc.

I wouldn't drop him, but instead give him clear KPIs, revolving mainly around pressure acts/tackles etc and try to bring him into the game that way and hopefully the rest will flow.
Ideally he would be on the wing, but I see no harm in spelling him fwd.

Lewis gave us a huge edge last year but he's been worked out now. Perhaps we need to sacrifice a big body at the stoppages give him a chance to win the ball himself or run the ball from a clearance.

The other alternative is get someone with similar pace in the side as well to give us a second option on the counter and take some attention away from Jetts.

Depends what he is being asked to do i guess.

I presume its not to do sod all though.

If your playing sydney you try to shut down jettas run and kennedys space at stoppages.

Move him forward, make him sub, let him kick in, drop him, shake him, i dont care just fix him

Its quite disappointing especially the articles where he was quoted " I wanna try and be even better in 2013 "

Hope the question was asked to Horse in the presser.

It barely looks like he can be bothered out there. Maybe it's all gone to his a head a little bit and he thinks he has made it and things will just happen for him. Needs a few home truths IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would seem we're not winning anywhere near as many clearances as we did last year. Everyone has to be accountable to someone and I suspect Jets is much more on the back foot post clearance. Combining that defensive mindset with the extra attention he's getting, it contributing to a loss of confidence. He doesn't know when to attack when he's constantly looking to defend (albeit it not that well).

Giving him a bake isn't going to work, he just needs to work with coaching staff to identify smaller achievable targets, the build up from there. Don't forget, this is exactly like he was in 2011. He just needed to learn the new way to play. Patience all.

It would seem we're not winning anywhere near as many clearances as we did last year. Everyone has to be accountable to someone and I suspect Jets is much more on the back foot post clearance. Combining that defensive mindset with the extra attention he's getting, it contributing to a loss of confidence. He doesn't know when to attack when he's constantly looking to defend (albeit it not that well).

Giving him a bake isn't going to work, he just needs to work with coaching staff to identify smaller achievable targets, the build up from there. Don't forget, this is exactly like he was in 2011. He just needed to learn the new way to play. Patience all.

The fact that some are saying he is like he was in 2011, means that he has gone backwards. At least in 2011 he was having shots on goal. At the moment he is giving the team ZERO. The amount of times he appears to be just 'hanging around', half arsed chases and poor choices, needs to be addressed asap. Popping a goal here and there is just not enough.

It's difficult. Sub would be an option you'd think but when he was struggling last year, he was kept in the starting side. I think the fact we're losing clearance counts consistently means something but also with guys like Taylor Hunt and Shaun Atley (talented, disciplined and quick defenders) following him around, he has a lot to overcome right now.

I think he's actually working harder defensively than he is offensively. I'm seeing more really hard running from him when he's going for tackles than when he's trying to push into space and spread.

It's difficult. Sub would be an option you'd think but when he was struggling last year, he was kept in the starting side. I think the fact we're losing clearance counts consistently means something but also with guys like Taylor Hunt and Shaun Atley (talented, disciplined and quick defenders) following him around, he has a lot to overcome right now.

I think he's actually working harder defensively than he is offensively. I'm seeing more really hard running from him when he's going for tackles than when he's trying to push into space and spread.

Spot on these two posts

Back to his 2011 ways

SKirting around the ball
not working hard at all
not chasing or putting any pressure when not in possession

Needs a good kick up the arse, but it will take a bit of time to handle a tag (atleast put in a effort)
Spot on , back to shiting himself

I said this in the Reid thread and it applies to Jetta as well IMO - you can't just drop people when they are confidence players. He will not improve by playing reserves. His confidence will be shot and even if he makes it back to seniors, he will be shitting himself and scared of making mistakes. We see it with Armstrong - unfortunately his talent doesn't guarantee him a seniors spot so he bounces back and forward and looks constantly nervous. If we think a player of that type is good enough we just need to play them in the seniors and use other things to get the best out of them.

Guys like Hannebury & Parker are the types that you drop (theoretically of course). They will get pissed off and when they make it back to seniors they will give their all - because they are confident by nature.

So with Jetta, he is obviously good enough to be in our best 22 so we need to change things to get the best out of him - not drop him. Play him permanently as a forward - get him to use his pace to lead up the ground. Will also stop other teams using a midfield tagger and closing down his space. Perhaps get him onto a half back flank - play Shaw's role. Get him into space and let him run.

What we actually seem to be doing is getting him to play more inside and it's not working. It kind of goes against the way we play but get him away from the contest - I don't want to see him in a pack of 15 players trying to get his hands on it - I want him 30m ahead or behind the contest so he can use his pace if the ball gets to him.

Basically, we need to do whatever makes us a better side and I don't think dropping him is it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Lewis jetta- what to do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back