Player Watch Liam McMahon (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by the headline, it's probably not worth getting around the paywall on this one. My bet is junior coach says he's a great kid with great scope for develpment and is confident he'll be a player.

That and What he did over the Year with no Footy.

Can get a Add-on for Firefox to get around the Paywall anyway

Thilthorpe 201cm 100kg
Cox 199cm 82kg
Reid 202cm 82kg

It's interesting that Callow might have been judged as a man playing among boys and his performances deemed not dominant enough with the physical advantage he possessed and yet Thilthorpe is another who is also far more physically advanced than most of his peers and he still went pick 2.

The most dominant key forward of this season was a big gorilla playing out of the goal square in Hawkins who was listed at 97kg when drafted.

Callow might well not be good enough but I'd rather he be given a chance to fail than no chance at all because of a few extra kilos and it would have been an interesting experiment to take both McMahon and Callow and see which type of key forward prospect came out on top.

Thilthorpe is more Verstile then Callow and more Athletic

Thilthorpe 201cm 100kg
Cox 199cm 82kg
Reid 202cm 82kg

It's interesting that Callow might have been judged as a man playing among boys and his performances deemed not dominant enough with the physical advantage he possessed and yet Thilthorpe is another who is also far more physically advanced than most of his peers and he still went pick 2.

The most dominant key forward of this season was a big gorilla playing out of the goal square in Hawkins who was listed at 97kg when drafted.

Callow might well not be good enough but I'd rather he be given a chance to fail than no chance at all because of a few extra kilos and it would have been an interesting experiment to take both McMahon and Callow and see which type of key forward prospect came out on top.
Cox is now 87kg fwiw

Thilthorpe 201cm 100kg
Cox 199cm 82kg
Reid 202cm 82kg

I haven't even watched a video of Thilthorpe, but I'd be guessing that he projects to being physically awesome in the AFL as well as in the standard he's currently playing. I'm guessing that the recruiters view Callow as not having a physical advantage in the AFL, but currently relying on a physical advantage to do damage in his current comp.

I haven't even watched a video of Thilthorpe, but I'd be guessing that he projects to being physically awesome in the AFL as well as in the standard he's currently playing. I'm guessing that the recruiters view Callow as not having a physical advantage in the AFL, but currently relying on a physical advantage to do damage in his current comp.

He had his fair share of opponents bigger then him both in height and similar weight so dont know how that's a fair judgement they made if its true.

He has very good body work and timing in his marking.

He had his fair share of opponents bigger then him both in height and similar weight so dont know how that's a fair judgement they made if its true.

He has very good body work and timing in his marking.
I think he looks good in the videos, but I'm just guessing why he didn't get selected.

I am glad we took a key forward, but given he was projected to be a late / rookie pick and we took him in the mid 2nd round, but do you reckon he could have traded our pick 31 for a pick later in the draft and a future pick (points for Daics?) and still picked Liam?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad we took a key forward, but given he was projected to be a late / rookie pick and we took him in the mid 2nd round, but do you reckon he could have traded our pick 31 for a pick later in the draft and a future pick (points for Daics?) and still picked Liam?

It was our 5th Pick though so take him there as I guess we Rated Him and did not want to take a Risk of Moving Down and Missing out on Him

I like this for two reasons:

1. The work ethic is there from Day 1;
2. Him practicing goal kicking means we haven’t tried to turn him into a defender yet!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree on Both.

He is putting the Hard Yards In and See him as a Forward and not yet another Defender

Gotta try to sign him up for the VFL program. That way we can get a look at him playing with the rest of the group and if he breaks out, can pick him in the mid season draft

Got to rely on him getting through to our pick which might not happen if he starts taking the VFL apart.

Ben Reid was only around the 82kg mark when drafted.

He was listed as being 20kg heavier in the latter stages of his career.

As an aside it's almost hilarious how far off that mock draft was - I guess there's a lot more effort put into these things nowadays...

Yeah that's my read too - ie. he's using his weight (and to a lesser degree his height) to out body lighter-framed opponents in what would most likely be the weakest state league competition and this may not translate well at AFL level when he is matched up on stronger KPD's who are also athletic beasts. The lack of an opportunity to prove himself against other high-level KPP prospects from the mainland would have hurt his chances of being drafted significantly I suspect.

I don't think there's any other explanation for why he wasn't drafted by anybody, so perhaps he may just be the type who clubs feel needs to go away, work hard to change his body shape a bit and build up that athleticism (as well as prove himself against better competition) in a mainland state league and then have a crack at the AFL again in a couple of years, when he might be a better chance of getting onto (and more importantly staying on) a list at age 20.

As an aside it's almost hilarious how far off that mock draft was - I guess there's a lot more effort put into these things nowadays...

AFL Draft is lot more Followed Now then Back in 2006 and That is also with the Media

Last edited:
I’m a massive Ben King fan and this kid reminds me so much of a very young Ben King. No pressure but think we might finally have a key forward. Unfortunately it’s going to be a few years before we see him.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes in the VFL next year, if he can put on some weight who knows.

I’m a massive Ben King fan and this kid reminds me so much of a very young Ben King. No pressure but think we might finally have a key forward. Unfortunately it’s going to be a few years before we see him.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes in the VFL next year, if he can put on some weight who knows.

Play Like Him but at the Moment be no way as good as him

Play Like Him but at the Moment be no way as good as him
Ben King hasn't really done anything yet, he gets his hands to the ball a lot but it seems to bounce off a lot, hopefully he doesn't end up with cement hands

Ben King hasn't really done anything yet, he gets his hands to the ball a lot but it seems to bounce off a lot, hopefully he doesn't end up with cement hands

Guess you did not see him a Underage Level then and how Much he Dominated There

Ben King is only 20 years old playing in the worst, sorry the second worst AFL team. Out of necessity he is being played as the key forward, which he will be in time. If he was playing as the second or third tall he would dominate. I’m sticking with it, these King boys will be special. I’m hoping our boy will be as well.

Guess you did not see him a Underage Level then and how Much he Dominated There
So did Dawes and he ended up with cement hands, Sorry, I just realised I meant Max king

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Liam McMahon (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back