Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a couple of stats I am really hoping we can turn around this year.

The first relates to our first quarter scoring. In 2018, we only "won" six first quarters (the same as 2017 (only "won" four in 2016)) with a deficit of 21 goals (58 For / 79 Against), so that is one key area I am hoping we can reverse. It is worth noting that in 2018 we "won" 13 fourth quarters with a +13 goal advantage so running out games didn't seem an issue.

The second area I would like to see improved is our overall goal scoring. The last time we kicked 300 goals in a regular season was in 2008 (306 goals / 2009 - 298 goals in the regular season). I appreciate that there may be increased scoring as a result of the new rules, but it would be nice if we could nonetheless get above 300. Last year (297 goals) was the first year since 2007 (266 goals) that we conceded less than 300 goals in a season with our worst year being 2016 when we conceded 429 goals. In any event, I would really like us to kick +300 goals and concede less than 300 goals against, which may not result in finals action but will set us on the right path.

There are a couple of stats I am really hoping we can turn around this year.

The first relates to our first quarter scoring. In 2018, we only "won" six first quarters (the same as 2017 (only "won" four in 2016)) with a deficit of 21 goals (58 For / 79 Against), so that is one key area I am hoping we can reverse. It is worth noting that in 2018 we "won" 13 fourth quarters with a +13 goal advantage so running out games didn't seem an issue.

The second area I would like to see improved is our overall goal scoring. The last time we kicked 300 goals in a regular season was in 2008 (306 goals / 2009 - 298 goals in the regular season). I appreciate that there may be increased scoring as a result of the new rules, but it would be nice if we could nonetheless get above 300. Last year (297 goals) was the first year since 2007 (266 goals) that we conceded less than 300 goals in a season with our worst year being 2016 when we conceded 429 goals. In any event, I would really like us to kick +300 goals and concede less than 300 goals against, which may not result in finals action but will set us on the right path.
These will come with an improved Clearance and Contested possession differential, hopefully into the plus column.

With Rance gone surely this strengthens Andrew's AA run. If Andrew's has another good season.

In one breath Barrett says gallant losses will no longer cut it for Fagan and the Lions and in the next he says the Blues 33 point loss to the Tigers is a pass. And apparently a document produced by Carlton is real evidence of a turnaround.

BL-header.png

If
every new coach rightly gets a 12-month media honeymoon period and the good-bloke coaches get 24-plus ...
then
Chris Fagan's got a little bit of time left. But gallant losses won't cut it in 2019.

FaganJLT01BrHa19CH0052.jpg

CARL-header.png

If
the Can You Smell What We're Cooking and the They Know We're Coming slogans of recent years delivered nothing but false, cringeworthy and corny hope ...
then
the recently revealed Carlton Way document presents as real evidence of a turnaround. Round one against the Tigers was a pass, just, though.

In one breath Barrett says gallant losses will no longer cut it for Fagan and the Lions and in the next he says the Blues 33 point loss to the Tigers is a pass. And apparently a document produced by Carlton is real evidence of a turnaround.

BL-header.png

If
every new coach rightly gets a 12-month media honeymoon period and the good-bloke coaches get 24-plus ...
then
Chris Fagan's got a little bit of time left. But gallant losses won't cut it in 2019.

FaganJLT01BrHa19CH0052.jpg

CARL-header.png

If
the Can You Smell What We're Cooking and the They Know We're Coming slogans of recent years delivered nothing but false, cringeworthy and corny hope ...
then
the recently revealed Carlton Way document presents as real evidence of a turnaround. Round one against the Tigers was a pass, just, though.
Yes he is a complete effing flog. We are a mile ahead of carlton though when it comes to expectations.

Purple is a sanctimonious twerp with delusions of grandeur.

If you treat everything he says as something a satirist would do to encapsulate media smugness and superiority, then he is very very funny. He's no Stephen A or Skyp Bayless though.

I listen to the Sounding Board as a laugh and to get an unfiltered look at how soulless and self-important AFL journos are.

Yes he is a complete effing flog. We are a mile ahead of carlton though when it comes to expectations.

It is a stupid comment though because Bolton has been Carlton's coach for 3 years already, so saying Chris Fagan has a few months of honeymoon left is funny.

Basically this all comes back to the fact that Hutchy decided to have a go at Fages last year for 'not having tactical nous', and since Fages shot back at him and pointed out that he didn't have a clue who was on our coaching staff Damo has got real mad.

Carlton's document - Carlton Way:rolleyes:- is evidence of Carlton's arrogance and inability to learn from history. 6 wins and a decent % will be real evidence of a turnaround

Here's the footy shows take on Carlton's plan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the pressure will start to mount on Fagan if we repeat another 5 win year. It doesn’t take much for the media and some supporters to turn on a coach whose team doesn’t improve their results year on year. Results matter eventually.

I
I think the pressure will start to mount on Fagan if we repeat another 5 win year. It doesn’t take much for the media and some supporters to turn on a coach whose team doesn’t improve their results year on year. Results matter eventually.
I agree Fages has nearly got the squad he wants.Only 19 players left from when he took over. Gradual improvement is what we as fans expect and he has stated this as well.In my opinion this is not just win/loss column as we all saw improvement last year without more wins.I think everyone expects more wins this year and that would be pretty fair expectation.No one really expects top eight this year but we need to close the gap to those teams again this year and contest for finals 2020/2021.The pressure will be on Fages next season if we are still under 10 wins.

Nothing to worry about POBT we will outperform expectations this year.

Who’s expectations?
Those who think an 8-10 win season is a good year or those who think finals as a minimum?

Agree. From a personal view, think 8-10 wins is an expected pass mark and a realistic representation of where we are at as a footy club.

Next year really should be finals as an expectation. People expecting finals as a pass mark this year, will be super disappointed IMO.

I don’t disagree with you at all but purple was saying this stuff this time last year.

Agree. From a personal view, think 8-10 wins is an expected pass mark and a realistic representation of where we are at as a footy club.

Next year really should be finals as an expectation. People expecting finals as a pass mark this year, will be super disappointed IMO.
If we are sitting on 9 wins after round 18 it might be a bit disappointing if we don’t make finals.
But I think 8-10 is about where we are at (cross fingers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back