Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time we won 4 in a row before today was 2010. Last time we won 5 in a row was 2008. Last time we won 6 or 7 in a row was 2002. Reckon we are a realistic chance of doing 8 in a row since the bye.

Well, we're on 4 and will stay favourites in the next 4 (and perhaps 5, if we maintain current form for the Geelong game).

Would just love to make it 5 to be honest!

Any chance 15 wins and 125% would be enough to grab 2nd meaning we have 2 losses up our sleeve ? Would need a lot of luck in other results I imagine.

Yeah. My ladder predictor has us finishing on 15 wins but in 5th place. I think it’ll be tough to finish above Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast.

Yeah. My ladder predictor has us finishing on 15 wins but in 5th place. I think it’ll be tough to finish above Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast.

Assuming we get to 15 wins I think we will sneak into 4th. Mainly just because we have a percentage lead on Richmond and a slight edge on West Coast (with Collingwood also within range) and I can't see all of West Coast, Collingwood and Richmond getting 16 plus wins.

Richmond would need to win every remaining game to get to 16 wins and or win all bar one to get to 15 and make up 10% on us.

He’s got a bit to prove to get to his level but Linc MCCarthy can be every bit a player as Robbie Gray.

Quick, elusive, good one on one, can take a grab, elite goal sense who can run through the middle.
Not getting the best small defender with Charlie there and is getting off the chain.
Super super pick up.

Assuming we get to 15 wins I think we will sneak into 4th. Mainly just because we have a percentage lead on Richmond and a slight edge on West Coast (with Collingwood also within range) and I can't see all of West Coast, Collingwood and Richmond getting 16 plus wins.

Richmond would need to win every remaining game to get to 16 wins and or win all bar one to get to 15 and make up 10% on us.
How about we win the next 5,sew up 2nd spot and play our NEAFL team v Richmond ?

He’s got a bit to prove to get to his level but Linc MCCarthy can be every bit a player as Robbie Gray.

Quick, elusive, good one on one, can take a grab, elite goal sense who can run through the middle.
Not getting the best small defender with Charlie there and is getting off the chain.
Super super pick up.

He's had 20 touches and at least a goal in 3 of the last four weeks. Pretty much elite statistics for a high half-forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super super pick up.
I also think a decent comparison for Linc is Zorko in my eyes. Quick, hard at it, immense pressure and a great goal sense.

Yes our NEAFL team need to get more practice on the MCG ... our senior guys must be sick of playing there by now!
Yeah but I want our NEAFL team to play some half decent opposition

Some matchups in the next couple weeks that will go a long way towards defining the order of the eight in the next few weeks...

Col vs Gws
Ric vs Pta
Ade vs Ess

Col vs Ric
Gws vs Pta

Plus us winning ours obviously.

Been trying to work out what our "game plan" is over the past few weeks and was wondering what others thought. Haven't seen a live game since the one against the Hawks and we have improved a lot defensively since then. Fagan always mentions the contested possessions and that's something that has improved a lot over the last 2 years as well as tackles...so many broken tackles in the Leppa times.

We clearly like to kick along the boundary to a contest and rely on players like the big O and Mcstay to not lose the contest. It seems like we back ourselves to either win a contested mark or that we're good enough around the stoppages we will get the clearance or we can harass the other team enough that it's a predictable kick up the line to spoil or using someone like Andrews to intercept.

Our forward 50 entries seem to be very similar, perhaps we're hoping for Hipwood, Mcstay and big O to clunk a few but we have such an even distribution of goal scorers that it seems like we back ourselves to score when the ball spills or another stoppage. Every team wants to put on lots of pressure in the forward line but we just seem to be doing that really well this year and this obviously helps our defence set up by giving them a lot more time.

In an interview, one of our players said that in defence they are responsible for 1.5 players ? can't remember the exact statement but that sort of fits in with having someone like Andrews floating around where they are trying to kick to so we can spoil or intercept.

Thoughts?

Some matchups in the next couple weeks that will go a long way towards defining the order of the eight in the next few weeks...

Col vs Gws
Ric vs Pta
Ade vs Ess

Col vs Ric
Gws vs Pta

Plus us winning ours obviously.
Richmond playing the three teams above them: Collingwood WC and us are all super important

Problem is if we finish 4th and Richmond 5th we’ll likely lose the first week and then play Richmond in the second week and likely go out in straight sets.

Would almost rather finishing 5th and winning the first week even if it makes the second week more difficult.

Problem is if we finish 4th and Richmond 5th we’ll likely lose the first week and then play Richmond in the second week and likely go out in straight sets.

Would almost rather finishing 5th and winning the first week even if it makes the second week more difficult.
Richmond at Gabba would be 50/50 wouldn't it ? Great chance to play a preliminary

I think Richmond will come good in September if their stars are fit.
Yeah I’m on them as well even monetarily at $6 for flag but that game wouldn’t have them less than $1.80 at the Gabba

Although our form in 2000 (6th place) was better than 2018 (15th place),I see uncanny similarities between our run to the Premiership in 2001 to where we are now in 2019.

In 2001 we were widely regarded as something between a joke and a bunch of upstarts who would get their come-uppance once the "real" stuff started in September.

In 2018 we got a kind of grudging respect....yeah maybe someday in the next 5 years we might do something good.

I'm not saying we are going to win it this year but hell, why shouldn't we dream?

Forget about "planning" to be a force in 2 or 3 years.

Dare to dream....let's do it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back