Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we finish 3rd/4th my preferred qualifying final opponent given the choice would likely be Cats at GMHBA, Pies at MCG or Eagles at Optus would be the Pies at the MCG in front of 80,000 plus in a Friday night mega final.

How delicious would it be knock them off on their home dung hill in front of Eddie, Joffa and the toothless brigade. Then we host the Preliminary final at the Gabba and I don't care who it's against, we win.

I’d love anywhere in the top six because I just want to see my second home final in my lifetime. I barely remember the first anyway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I reckon 5th or 6th is great.The expectations obviously shifted but look at what where we were.

Last edited:
I think Richmond will come good in September if their stars are fit.
No guarantee - they might, but they also caved last September against Collingwood and it wasn't close.

Some interesting analysis in this piece - including a few different stats than you usually see:
  • We are one of four teams with positive record against teams that have won 50% of their games. A nice little bit of evidence that we haven't just been beating up on the bottom teams.
  • We lead the league for tackles inside 50 with 13.8 per game, and four players (Zorko, Bundy, JL and Charlie) are in the top 40 average tackles inside 50 per game.
  • We are the most efficient team in turning disposals into a scoring shot, at 13.84 per scoring shot. That's nearly two disposals better than Geelong in second place. Given that the entire competition ranges from us at 13.84 to Gold Coast at 19.56 (a range of 6 scoring shots) the fact that we are nearly two disposals ahead of second place is a pretty massive statistical difference.
There hasn't been much statistical detail about our forward 50 game so its nice to see it in this piece.

Last edited:
Some interesting analysis in this piece - including a few different stats than you usually see:
  • We are one of four teams with positive record against teams that have won 50% of their games. A nice little bit of evidence that we haven't just been beating up on the bottom teams.
  • We lead the league for tackles inside 50 with 13.8 per game, and four players (Zorko, Bundy, JL and Charlie) are in the top 40 average tackles inside 50 per game.
  • We are the most efficient team in turning disposals into a scoring shot, at 13.84 per scoring shot. That's nearly two disposals better than Geelong in second place.
There hasn't been much statistical detail about our forward 50 game so its nice to see it in this piece.

Interesting to compare us to Collingwood who overpossess the footy

7EF5D30F-DB42-4CCB-95E1-8B3EDD9F7727.png

Interesting to compare us to Collingwood who overpossess the footy

View attachment 709950

Yeah its a very interesting graph. I'd love to see a before and after of the Kangaroos after Brad Scott left. By all accounts under Shaw they have decreased their number of disposals substantially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh saw Rich's interview this morning on the YT channel. Gotta love him!

Are our disposal per goal stats slightly skewed by our (i believe near #1 ranking?) of goals from centre clearances? At least a few games we've got a few really quick goals from maybe 2-4 disposals straight.

Either way that is really nice to see. So often statistics can be obfuscated or used to push a view. But really the differing stats coming out about us from at least R6 onwards are so wide ranging and constantly high it really can't be denied! Maybe I would like to have these kind of stats while versing Geelong, Collingwood ,Richmond, and in totally in-form GWS and Port, but on the other hand our pressure makes other teams not always play best.

Without getting ahead of ourselves, I think our top 4 chance may actually be dependant on our Gold Coast game. We really need to boost our percentage with this one, as that’s what I think it will come down to. I know they will want to get up for the Q Clash, but we really do need to give them a hammering if we are thinking top 4.

The players I would be most happy for if we end up in the finals and making a decent run at it are Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich, stuck around for multiple years through very dark times, so thrilled for them.
I would also throw in Stef.....yrs of crap at Melbourne..........Robbo......under the pump from the whole footy community til he came here and Lester........a cop it on the chin warrior.

Without getting ahead of ourselves, I think our top 4 chance may actually be dependant on our Gold Coast game. We really need to boost our percentage with this one, as that’s what I think it will come down to. I know they will want to get up for the Q Clash, but we really do need to give them a hammering if we are thinking top 4.

Probably depends on what GC’s injury list is like at the moment. I believe they’re currently missing 8 starters and Rankine from their first team.

How good is it to have the shortest injury list in the AFL?

According to that, Mitch Hinge would be our only listed player definitely not available this week.

Thank you Footy Injury Gods..............now keeping my fingers and toes crossed:footy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back