List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel he is genuinely worse than Kennedy or Setterfield, he's just lost confidence in this club, and he's not what Voss wants in his system as things stand. I think he's a fool for doing that, but you've got to look what players in his list position typically go for, and that's a low first to mid second.

If we can't get that and turn it into a genuine difference maker, we need to retain him. The coaches should be trying to figure out how to use elite acceleration from the contest (hint: it's not difficult), and the fitness staff should be given input on how that can be best executed while maintain defensive running requirements.
Dow cannot run out a full game in the middle as his tank is not up to it.

He has dubious disposal / Small framed limiting contested ball wins / Totally shits himself in a hard contest / Mediocre tackler and if you look closely even when in the team or starting 22 he needs to be rested every 8 mins cause he is gassed.

He is just not up to it at AFL level and people are being blinded because he was such a high pick. If Dow was taken at #47 he would be gone already.

His junior form was good but AFL level has found him out and he won’t be the last either. It happens and some kids just don’t go on. Kevin Sheehan stated on the night he was drafted his ball use regarding disposal was an issue by foot but we took him anyway and the rest is history….. Shifter Sheehan rarely states weaknesses in the kids as well on draft night.

I was like here we go we have drafted a turnover merchant by foot at #4! 😩😏

Dow is so tainted, that unless he's practically given away no club will bite with anything better than a 3rd rounder. I could only see clubs like Sydney and Geelong being the only ones that can turn him around due to their mature senior leadership and core who would push him in the right direction.

Thats how i see it - there may be clubs who are looking at him, but only if they can get him for bargain basement price. Otherwise they'll just wait another year until he is out of contract. No-one is wanting him so bad they'll give us a 2nd rounder.

The flip side is, i think carlton would be happy to shake hands and part ways on good terms and let him go for a 4th rounder. cut our losses.

Dow cannot run out a full game in the middle as his tank is not up to it.

He has dubious disposal / Small framed limiting contested ball wins / Totally shits himself in a hard contest / Mediocre tackler and if you look closely even when in the team or starting 22 he needs to be rested every 8 mins cause he is gassed.

He is just not up to it at AFL level and people are being blinded because he was such a high pick. If Dow was taken at #47 he would be gone already.

His junior form was good but AFL level has found him out and he won’t be the last either. It happens and some kids just don’t go on. Kevin Sheehan stated on the night he was drafted his ball use regarding disposal was an issue by foot but we took him anyway and the rest is history….. Shifter Sheehan rarely states weaknesses in the kids as well on draft night.

I was like here we go we have drafted a turnover merchant by foot at #4! 😩😏
I see a player who has been repeatedly told he's on his last chances.

He had absolutely none of these issues last year, complete with a good run of form after Teague stopped holding him out of the team.

He had absolutely none of these issues last year, complete with a good run of form after Teague stopped holding him out of the team.

Wow.

I have seen these issues since day 1 but each to their own.

Dow is far from our best 22 and never will be a solid cog in our team.

Wow.

Agreed, poor disposal, general cleanness, lack of run outside the contest and most of his other issues I've seen since day 1 and the lack of improvement in any of them is part of my issue with him.

His disposal by foot isn't as bad as it was at its worst, there was a period there where it looked like he was at risk of missing his foot altogether, but he's still not a good kick.

I still think he is worth holding onto for his last contract year if all we'd get is a 3rd round pick. Unless of course we have a good use for that pick.

I don't know, he has elite attributes as a pure inside midfielder. That's where he offers value, there and only there. If we don't see a job for him there, then yeah sure - send him off.

If we were top 4 this year, maybe and he already has flags

If he moves, he will chase a retirement package
This thinking is strange. If we had no injuries how could we not have finished top 4?

We needed to improve by a goal a game to win 15. If we don't think we would have improved by a goal a game by adding all the blokes we had out, then surely we may as well delist them all?

We can't just keep thinking "the year after" is when we're a chance, or we'll never get there.

i find hightlight videos funny.....

• i love it when the player gets a kick and the next guy kicks a goal then they extend the highlights, show replay even
  • if the player gets a kick and turns it over we dont see the turnover.....
  • sometimes the highlight is the player just being in the vicinity of the ball
  • sometimes there is only one highlight in a game.....or none - must have had a stinker ;)

i would love to see him get 2 months at AFL level and see what he has but we arent in that stage of gifting games anymore.

Wow.

I called them and more as issues when we were thinking about drafting him.

He worked on all of them, and is a first 22 player for this club, if the club were prepared to institute stoppage systems that were more intelligent than trying to smash the barn door open with a bloke sitting out the back less we have our arse hanging in the breeze.

If we can carry Owies and Kennedy at 65-70% game time, we can swap one of them out for Dow.

My wish list:

Better ball users in more areas of the ground. Earlier in the year we tried moving the ball with short passes changing angles, but a kick to an open player quickly becomes a hospital ball & turnover if it's not low & flat enough. Too many of our players have loopy floater kicks.

Carry less injury prone players so we can finally have a season that's not derailed by injury.

Get more players rotating through the middle. Carlton had the least players rotating through early in the season and the main crew were worn down. Would also help avoiding being so one-paced in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a fan of Dow’s abilities, but it’s been so clear for so long that he has no tank. Even when he had a patch of form last year, he would start red-hot, then completely disappear for the last 45 minutes of the game. And he still has those issues at lower level, and when he came into the side this year

This thinking is strange. If we had no injuries how could we not have finished top 4?

We needed to improve by a goal a game to win 15. If we don't think we would have improved by a goal a game by adding all the blokes we had out, then surely we may as well delist them all?

We can't just keep thinking "the year after" is when we're a chance, or we'll never get there.

I don't think we were a top 4 chance this year

I don't think we were a top 4 chance this year
No, and not many did at the start of the year.

But given what we have seen and can now look back on, we would have gone horribly close with an even run of luck. No-one could have predicted we would have had the second worst run of injuries. How would we have gone if we had the second best run?

Only Geelong and Brisbane (largely because it was at the Gabba) clearly had the better of us. We matched it with all the other sides in the 8, beating 4 of them.

It really doesn't matter where we actually finished - we should rate ourselves as top 4 capable when we are assessing what we need to add.

I’m a fan of Dow’s abilities, but it’s been so clear for so long that he has no tank. Even when he had a patch of form last year, he would start red-hot, then completely disappear for the last 45 minutes of the game. And he still has those issues at lower level, and when he came into the side this year
You've just described Kennedy. The difference we're actually talking about between people complaining and not complaining is 3-4 minutes per quarter, which both of them could stand to find, along with all of our small forwards.

Gamestyle, tactics, and a little bit of pre-season work could nail all of that.

You've just described Kennedy. The difference we're actually talking about between people complaining and not complaining is 3-4 minutes per quarter, which both of them could stand to find, along with all of our small forwards.

Gamestyle, tactics, and a little bit of pre-season work could nail all of that.

Jim, I admire you swimming upstream, but Dow is not in the same league as Kennedy and stop bringing up Owies, Dow can't play his role, nor anyone else's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back