List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

on footywire we have a lot of players OOC. Who do we let go?
Carlton Players Out of Contract in 2022
NameYears ServiceStatus
6​
Non-Free Agent​
7​
Non-Free Agent​
12​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
5​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
1​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
1​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​
Out of contract 17

Retain: 10 - Marchbank and Cuningham should be given short deals indicative of their injured status potentially a 1+1 with a games trigger for the second year for each. Jordan Boys, Liam Stocker and Matt Cottrell should be given two year deals as best 22 or adjacent players. Josh Honey, Lochie O'Brien, Will Setterfield, Matt Owies and Sam Durdin to be given one year contracts or moved to rookie list as appropriate as each are a year-to-year proposition.

Remove: 7 - Curnow, Newnes and McDonald to retire. Williamson has effectively been delisted. Lachlan Fogarty should explore a trade and if not be delisted. Luke Parks and Will Hayes I suspect unfortunately will be delisted, although no hard feelings towards either.

Damn... we should have delisted Charlie Curnow last year then because his body obviously wasn't up to the rigors of AFL football. And Marchbank... and Doch... two ACL's in two years, two bouts of testicular cancer... his body is shot. Should delist him as well hey! Man... Gov's hamstrings go ping when there is a slight breeze pushing him... he needs to go as well.

It’s okay to have one or two injury prone players that you keep around in the hope they’ll come good, like Charlie.

But when you have 5-6 it becomes too much. Charlie is the exception, not the rule.

I don’t think we can, nor should we afford to keep Marchbank, McGovern, MacDonald, Cuningham, Williams, Jack Martin and others all on the list at the same time.

These players haven’t shown the capacity to play a full season in years. If we go down this path again, it’s pretty clear we haven’t learnt the lessons of this year.

I posted about wanting Breust and there is a lot of people talking about it. I think it is something we must look at.

Is there any actual rumours that we are chasing him at all? Or is it all just hopeful?
More hope than anything else and I asked the question on the Hawks board but they doubt he will ever leave. Giants threw good currency at them last season for Bruest and he said no and wanted to stay at the Hawks.

Can’t blame the guy and seems like a very honest and down to earth good bloke of the game does Bruest.

Blake Acres would be a superb recruit for us, exactly what we need.

Get in done Austin ✔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beveridge and Twomey reporting our interest in the uncontracted Acres, amongst other Vic clubs. With a full suite of mids, bringing Acres in potentially then has Walsh on the other wing, meaning LOB and Cottrell are moved out from that role.

Either he or Cerra. Regardless, it pushes LOB and Cottrell out of that role
The reality is that Walsh might start on the wing but he will chase the ball and won't keep his width. He is not going to have games where he only gets 16 possessions. Sidebottom has only got more than 20 possessions 4 times this season

A player like Bruest needs to be our No.1 priority as we need a cool head up forward who is a lethal kick that knows what it takes.

He is our missing link IMO and a 2 year deal would be on the cards if it were me. Hawks are going in the other direction to us and makes sense for both teams. Throw Dow in as a sweetener as well for him.

I agree. A small forward who kicks goals is a priority.

There are many moments that make up a loss when the score difference is under one goal, but the one that sticks in my memory the most is when Durdin didn't pass to McKay with about a 2:30? left in the match in the pocket. He was on his own.

None of the small forwards (according to Champion Data) are rated elite in number of kicks or goals. Not Durdin, not Owies, not Motlop and not Martin. An elite forward who can guarantee more than 20-25 goals is a requirement.

Martin - 12 goals
Owies - 14 goals in 17 matches
Motlop - 12 goals in 12 matches
Durdin - 15 goals in 21 matches.

Breust played 21 matches and kicked 40 goals. I wouldn't pay overs for him though as he is in the twilight of his career, but hopefully he could see a future at the Blues.

I agree. A small forward who kicks goals is a priority.

There are many moments that make up a loss when the score difference is under one goal, but the one that sticks in my memory the most is when Durdin didn't pass to McKay with about a 2:30? left in the match in the pocket. He was on his own.

None of the small forwards (according to Champion Data) are rated elite in number of kicks or goals. Not Durdin, not Owies, not Motlop and not Martin. An elite forward who can guarantee more than 20-25 goals is a requirement.

Martin - 12 goals
Owies - 14 goals in 17 matches
Motlop - 12 goals in 12 matches
Durdin - 15 goals in 21 matches.

Breust played 21 matches and kicked 40 goals. I wouldn't pay overs for him though as he is in the twilight of his career, but hopefully he could see a future at the Blues.
Bruest doesn’t play like traditional small forward and is bigger than he looks. Good over head and can kick from 50 out accurately. Owies and Durdin I am delisting or trading one of them if we had the chance to get Luke Bruest. Motlop not going anywhere and imagine how much he would flourish with Bruest in the team.

We need another forward to contribute 25-35 goals a year
Exactly and only Motlop has that potential on our list IMO but he is still a kid and we can’t put that pressure on him.

Owies and Durdin are rubbish who are just scrappers who bob up once every 6 weeks.

Constant reader, infrequent poster, but for what it’s worth - my two cents.

- Trade Dow, would rather see him get a crack at it elsewhere to see if he can cut it than rot away in the 2’s. 3rd rounder probably the best return we can expect.

- Boyd is my first choice lockdown small back next year. If Marchy is fit as our 3rd tall along with a mix of Doc, Saad, Williams, Newman + Weiters and Young, we hold Plow and Durdin as backups and move on McDonald.

- Would like to see one of Williams/Saad played on the wing for a bit more leg speed forward of centre and better ball use to our forwards.

- As far as delistings go, obviously Willo comes off the list, I think we say good bye to atleast Fogarty and McDonald. Owies has reached his potential which should be depth only if we are to progress next year, on a small contract probably worth keeping in the VFL. Newnes in the same boat although I think he stays for some experience on the list. Ed may well retire but if he wants one more he’s going to be great for the development of our VFL boys if he can get on the park.
I’m 50/50 on whether Philp and Parks are worth persisting with. I wasn’t a huge fan when we reached for Philp in the draft a few years ago, I was a massive fan of Chad Warner’s 18’s year and now I’m more pissed he slipped well past our pick.
If Cunners can’t get his body right I think it’s time to say goodbye.
- Unsure where Silvagni really fits, the backup ruck role isn’t right for him and if he’s going to be our 3rd tall forward he needs to be kicking 30-40 a year and I don’t think he’s ever managed 20 before.
If Marchy stays fit, with Harry and Charlie reaching their potential as a combo we hoped for 4 years ago, could we now send Gov back to that 3rd tall forward role we purposed him for when we got him over? He could really excel there I think now with the pressure off thanks to H&C. Or we spend the summer trying to get Kemp into that role like he played on Sunday in the VFL.

- I wouldn’t be against a trade for Breust/Gunston to add some leadership and nous to the forward line. Interested as to what it’d cost. I wonder if a Dow for Breust swap could be a possibility?

- Would like to target some outside midfield speed with our first pick to compliment Walsh’s endurance and the bulls Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett.

If we manage to grab Breust, barring any draftees storming into the lineup early on, I’d like to think best 22 looks something like this

Boyd Young Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Saad
Williams Cripps Hewett
Breust Curnow McGovern
Motlop McKay Durdin
TDK Cerra Hewett

Kennedy Cottrell Martin Fisher

Stocker, Carroll, Kemp next in line if the four on the bench or even Durdin aren’t pulling their weight. Would love to see these three force their way into the 22 over season though.

Newman, Silvagni, LOB, Hayes, Plow, Newnes, Honey, Setterfield and Sam Durdin all very capable of playing a role if necessary.

SOS unlucky here, heart and soul but needs to nail down a role and really master it now.

Love all the conversation and going to try become more active around here.

Cheers guys!
I like it, only problem is who helps TDK in the ruck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back