List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reality is that Walsh might start on the wing but he will chase the ball and won't keep his width. He is not going to have games where he only gets 16 possessions. Sidebottom has only got more than 20 possessions 4 times this season
This. It’s a role players role, not a superstars. Not to mention it makes our midfields running ability worse

Breust doesn’t fit our list profile, nor our strategy.

We have two rookie kids in Motlop and Durdin, and add Honey who has the talent to take the next step with a injury free preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I hear you on this but I felt that Durdin was being gifted games late in the season. If Breust is in our team then I want Durdin and Honey to knock the door down taking that spot off him. They need to earn it.

We have two rookie kids in Motlop and Durdin, and add Honey who has the talent to take the next step with a injury free preseason.

As others have mentioned we really need another smaller goal-scoring option like Bruest, he is in good health and he would be a good acquistion.
Motlop & Durdin are two years away, Owies has question marks, same with Honey.
If we had him this year, we would be top 4, that additional scoring option would make a huge difference, he also can mark up forward, something our smalls cannot do.

Exactly and only Motlop has that potential on our list IMO but he is still a kid and we can’t put that pressure on him.

Owies and Durdin are rubbish who are just scrappers who bob up once every 6 weeks.

I would persevere with both Durdin and Mots, but I would replace Owies with a more dynamic forward

As others have mentioned we really need another smaller goal-scoring option like Bruest, he is in good health and he would be a good acquistion.
Motlop & Durdin are two years away, Owies has question marks, same with Honey.
If we had him this year, we would be top 4, that additional scoring option would make a huge difference, he also can mark up forward, something our smalls cannot do.
Totally agree.

Takes a mark and can kick 50m with a great conversion rate who leaves our small forwards for dead.

This. It’s a role players role, not a superstars. Not to mention it makes our midfields running ability worse
There is a reason no wingers actually make the AA team on the wing. It is because they get modest numbers. Josh Daicos is getting better numbers now because he has started to go through the middle.

Will never play inside mid at AFL level. While he takes a strong contested mark, he drops away with decision making, disposal to transition the ball with composure. So guys like Weitering, Young, Durdin, OMac are in front of him for key tall, Gov, Marchbank as 3rd talls
his disposal is fine, especially under pressure. not sure about his decision making though

I would persevere with both Durdin and Mots, but I would replace Owies with a more dynamic forward
Agreed. Owies looks like the odd man out and appears to have hit his ceiling. I like him and his story but we need to move past these sorts of players to get to the next level.

Big supporter of the Breust and/or Gunston idea but I'm not sure it's the type of move we'd make.

Exactly and only Motlop has that potential on our list IMO but he is still a kid and we can’t put that pressure on him.

Owies and Durdin are rubbish who are just scrappers who bob up once every 6 weeks.
Durdin is far from rubbish. He had a poor second half of the year and has played collectively about 25 games in his 2 seasons.

Give the kid a chance.

Last edited:
Agreed. Owies looks like the odd man out and appears to have hit his ceiling. I like him and his story but we need to move past these sorts of players to get to the next level.

Big supporter of the Breust and/or Gunston idea but I'm not sure it's the type of move we'd make.

I think we need that Breust type, mid size forward

your spot on .... seriously Mots & Durds was basically there first year at Afl level they will get fitter & impact more regulary. Martin just needs to stay on the park & hopefully pick up in impact /strong midsized forward to compliment the rest.

your spot on .... seriously Mots & Durds was basically there first year at Afl level they will get fitter & impact more regulary. Martin just needs to stay on the park & hopefully pick up in impact /strong midsized forward to compliment the rest.

If only Martin could stay fit for a season, that forward line would transform to another level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get your point. But winning is what I want to fit into the profile. Winning is a word that tops words such as "list" "profile" and "strategy".

Motlop, Durdin, Honey all require time to develop. None of them overly impressed me - although I get they are young. Do we have time for all three? A player from a winning environment helps.

RE: all the Kennedy, Setterfield talk... it all seems to boil down to how they clear the ball from a stoppage. I think the simple answer is that Kennedy gets more training for stoppages than pretty much every other option we're discussing.

I've even seen it at training: Fisher gets more time with the full centre square group and stoppage contingent than Dow sometimes, definitely Setterfield until very recently. I've seen Dow relegated to practicing collecting Mirkov's taps in the centre circle.

There's a lot to answer for in our stoppage play in terms of setting up the receiving option, and it's more badly exposed at general stoppages than it is at the centre bounce. I've seen Cerra, O'Brien, Fisher, Setterfield, Dow, Kennedy, and more, all release loopy dump kicks on the regular all season. Happens coming out of defence too.

We need to absorb what Collingwood is doing more and more of - and it's something that they've been doing for years and I've commented on - and that's training how to react to situations, training how to read off what one another should be doing to assist defensively when entering a contest, and how to assist offensively when the ball is in - or about to be in - the area.

We're super reactive, and it sees meek shepherds (or none), terrible chains of possessions, and panicked long kicks that too often come straight back. Talent is a factor, but the coaching gap there is huge. Train that and teaching stoppage setups and transition play will be a breeze.

We need another forward to contribute 25-35 goals a year
If Voss cant get Lob and Cottrell to connect to whoever he decides on to play on HFF - then Carlton's attacking strategy will continue to be kick it to Harry or Charlie. A third tall who can kick as many goals as you suggest won't work any better because of the sorry state of Carlton's wing and HFF stocks on display this year.

Players like Martin need good delivery and when mids and flankers are always looking to bomb it long - because that is wall they can do - the forward line will never be as lethal as it should be.

Honey/Cuningham have to come on and replace Fisher / Owies at the very least. Jack will be a problem forever - he is a bog average forward and always will be - I'd rather he plays on a flank where he can use his footy brain to better effect or gets repurposed as an on-baller. Jack was absolutely embarrassed in the Collingwood game played behind and got intercept marked every single time he was targetted - he just doesn't have the leg speed to beat the better defenders. Maybe a bit unfair as he was also pretending to be a ruck....maybe...

The forward line needs a radical make-over as far as who plays where and why - and it badly needs on ground leadership - Harry and Charlie aren't that type.

Beveridge and Twomey reporting our interest in the uncontracted Acres, amongst other Vic clubs. With a full suite of mids, bringing Acres in potentially then has Walsh on the other wing, meaning LOB and Cottrell are moved out from that role.

Walsh wont be playing wing

Either he or Cerra. Regardless, it pushes LOB and Cottrell out of that role
Neither O'Brien or Cottrell would get pushed out by that alone, but I certainly hope Walsh would be the wing option of he and Cerra. Only someone with their eyes painted on would feel it's the lesser choice for team balance and performance.

Walsh can get 30 with his eyes closed, doesn't matter where he starts at any given stoppage, just that we have defensive shape and offensive guile to outwit the opposition. I think he starts on the wing, and I think he should lean about 60% outside, if not more. Happy for him to take a more inside role at forward stoppages.

L

Durdin is far from rubbish. He had a poor second half of the year and has played collectively about 25 games in his 2 seasons.

Give the kid a chance.
The 2 goal of the week nominations showed a glimpse of what he is capable of. Lets just remember that Bruest hadn't played a game at the same age

Neither O'Brien or Cottrell would get pushed out by that alone, but I certainly hope Walsh would be the wing option of he and Cerra. Only someone with their eyes painted on would feel it's the lesser choice for team balance and performance.

Walsh can get 30 with his eyes closed, doesn't matter where he starts at the centre bounce, just that we have defensive shape and offensive guile to outwit the opposition.

Walsh would get the handball receive in the backline, go to kick to the winger and then remember he is playing wing.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back