List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

On the wines theoretical trade:
  • he goes for more money and time
  • he goes because it’ll position him nicely for a post footy career in coaching or media
  • he goes because he becomes the lead mid that allows LDU, Sheezs etc to be protected and develop.

• he stays because he is set up here in adelaide
  • has a house
  • is comfortable at port

It’s rare that something like this gets thrown around and that there is nothing in it. Wines, to my knowledge, hasn’t shot it down, which is usually what happens if this is just a thought bubble.

North need a player like Wines. They need someone to want to go there. Money and trade capital is less of an issue for them. They’ll get pick 1 and pick 19. Pick 19 + some haggling gets it done.

If I’m port I would be happy for this to happen and would be ensuring a healthy trade. I would ask for pick 19 and Goad. I would be encouraging them to take Wines and Clurey, with us paying a tiny bit of the contracts. Hell they could probably even use a hobbled Dixon to take some pressure off Larkey.

As to our midfield depth, Wines is up and down and playing behind the three. He probably has a solid 2-3 years left and can’t play much outside of the inside mid role. We would need to find a replacement for him for sure but we need to do that anyway and his role is relatively easy to find.

I dont think North need Wines. LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Powell, Mckercher and Sheezel should be persisted with as its a potentially very elite group. All getting a banged up Wines would do is take one of them out of the midfield group

I dont think North need Wines. LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Powell, Mckercher and Sheezel should be persisted with as it’s a potentially very elite group. All getting a banged up Wines would do is take one of them out of the midfield group
Potentially an elite group for sure. Although Powell and Wardlaw can’t get on the park and the rumours of LDU leaving continue.

But North do need Wines or similar. Let Sheezel and McKercher be second or third mid, so less heat. Protect LDU and Simpkin from getting so banged up. Show that a good player wants to come to North. Perhaps set the ‘professional’ level - although not sure if wines is renowned for this.

It’s a well worn tactical for struggling and rebuilding sides. Hodge to Brisbane, Lewis to Melbourne, Gold Coast and GWS - numerous players.

North are still 2-3 seasons away from being regularly competitive and pushing for finals if all goes to plan. Wines could help fast track that.

'I'm a Brownlow medalist who has spent my whole career playing for an unsuccessful club - I'm now 30 and am going to request a trade to a team that is anchored to the bottom of the ladder'.
Implying anyone at Port thinks they've been unsuccessful.

On the wines theoretical trade:
  • he goes for more money and time
  • he goes because it’ll position him nicely for a post footy career in coaching or media
  • he goes because he becomes the lead mid that allows LDU, Sheezs etc to be protected and develop.

• he stays because he is set up here in adelaide
  • has a house
  • is comfortable at port

It’s rare that something like this gets thrown around and that there is nothing in it. Wines, to my knowledge, hasn’t shot it down, which is usually what happens if this is just a thought bubble.

North need a player like Wines. They need someone to want to go there. Money and trade capital is less of an issue for them. They’ll get pick 1 and pick 19. Pick 19 + some haggling gets it done.

If I’m port I would be happy for this to happen and would be ensuring a healthy trade. I would ask for pick 19 and Goad. I would be encouraging them to take Wines and Clurey, with us paying a tiny bit of the contracts. Hell they could probably even use a hobbled Dixon to take some pressure off Larkey.

As to our midfield depth, Wines is up and down and playing behind the three. He probably has a solid 2-3 years left and can’t play much outside of the inside mid role. We would need to find a replacement for him for sure but we need to do that anyway and his role is relatively easy to find.
I agree with your reasoning, but think Port would push for a first round pick. Doesn’t matter if it’s a late first round pick.

I only think that as Port are running thin on the number of first round picks used at the draft over the rolling period. Even if it’s pick 18, it’s a first rounder and solves other issues.

Remember, Brett Deledio was a similar age when he was traded for a future first and third.

'I'm a Brownlow medalist who has spent my whole career playing for an unsuccessful club - I'm now 30 and am going to request a trade to a team that is anchored to the bottom of the ladder'.
Well when you put it like that….

Wines’ manager chased Carlton, seemingly behind Port’s back. This seems to have come from North but Wines hasn’t shot this plan down since it hit AFL media.
I agree with your reasoning, but think Port would push for a first round pick. Doesn’t matter if it’s a late first round pick.

I only think that as Port are running thin on the number of first round picks used at the draft over the rolling period. Even if it’s pick 18, it’s a first rounder and solves other issues.

Remember, Brett Deledio was a similar age when he was traded for a future first and third.

Not sure if North have more than pick one and pick 19. I’m sure there would be some haggling but pick 19, start of the second round and has held high value in the past, is close to about right. Maybe with a player, some later picks and some cash to even the edges.

Wines’ manager chased Carlton, seemingly behind Port’s back. This seems to have come from North but Wines hasn’t shot this plan down since it hit AFL media.

Not sure if North have more than pick one and pick 19. I’m sure there would be some haggling but pick 19, start of the second round and has held high value in the past, is close to about right. Maybe with a player, some later picks and some cash to even the edges.
I know he isn’t worth much more on the trade table because of his age but I don’t see the value in trading wines out for what will end up being a mid 20’s pick. We have made our bed with trading picks for role players lately, trading out our higher end players doesn’t fit what appears to be our current strategy. Different if it was for a top 10 pick, but that’s not realistic.

Wines’ manager was on SEN this week. I think he said “never say never” but they hadn’t really discussed the possibility.

But if North’s are chasing a contracted player, it’s up to them to put up the trade collateral. And Port would be foolish not to chase a first as it opens other trade options.

(All hypothetical anyway, and I do hope Wine’s stays)

I don’t see the value in trading wines out for what will end up being a mid 20’s pick. We have made our bed with trading picks for role players lately, trading out our higher end players doesn’t fit what appears to be our current strategy.

Trading in esava (25) zerk (duursma) and soldo (two 2nd rounders)

To then trade away wines for a similar return as just one of those players doesn’t seem to fit what we’ve been doing nor does it seem like smart trading.

It doesn’t make sense to bring in senior players at cost, then trade a better senior player than you’ve brought in out for less.

Then as I’ve said on the flip side if I’m on the other side I don’t want to pay big in a trade for a 30yr old.

There’s a discrepancy between what north should pay and what we should let him go for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never mind Wines, we could get Melbourne's first round pick for Charlie Dixon. Their forward line is a black hole of despair.

*i make it sound like i would not trade wines, I would absolutely trade wines out for young players / draft picks to get in some young players in a heartbeat

I just don’t think we would get the players / picks to make it worth it

(Nor do I think the trade ever gets off the ground anyway)

*i make it sound like i would not trade wines, I would absolutely trade wines out for young players / draft picks to get in some young players in a heartbeat

I just don’t think we would get the players / picks to make it worth it

(Nor do I think the trade ever gets off the ground anyway)
Yea I don’t think it happens - like I said he is settled in Adelaide and is comfortable. It’s odd that the interest has come out, it’s not like he is out of contract or a free agent or tried moving last year.

In terms of the return, Wines is worth probably pick 13-18. North have picks 1 and 21 (first pick of round two).

Pick 21 is unders but throw in a future second or Taylor Goad, or work a deal with a third club.

North won’t want to over pay but will likely be generous because they need an experienced player and they need someone wanting to come to North. They need a win. Having Wines say he wants to leave port and come to north is certainly worth two early second rounders or something similar.

Yea I don’t think it happens - like I said he is settled in Adelaide and is comfortable. It’s odd that the interest has come out, it’s not like he is out of contract or a free agent or tried moving last year.

In terms of the return, Wines is worth probably pick 13-18. North have picks 1 and 21 (first pick of round two).

Pick 21 is unders but throw in a future second or Taylor Goad, or work a deal with a third club.

North won’t want to over pay but will likely be generous because they need an experienced player and they need someone wanting to come to North. They need a win. Having Wines say he wants to leave port and come to north is certainly worth two early second rounders or something similar.

I suspect it's come about because they've sounded him out at the end of last year and he didn't say No.

All I have seen this season leads me to believe is it is worth playing Wines more as an inside mid and Rozee in a role where he receives the ball in space (wing, small/medium forward). To that extent I think Wines has value to us for the next couple of years at least.

Getting even a first round pick is unlikely to immediately solve any problems for us and we still blooding a number of young/inexperienced players who could end up playing different roles. Sinn, Burgoyne, Jones, Williams, Mead, Bergman. If DBJ's and SPP's success in different roles proves anything its that it is worth trying players in different roles.

I understand our desire to get back into a draft with a high level pick but I just can't see Wines jumping at money to play at a shitheap like NM.

It is all very well to mention other players like Hodge (who had formally retired), Lewis, Stevie J etc. The big difference with most of these players is that they had won premiership(s) which makes a player more amenable to finish their career at a rebuilding club. Wines still has that unfulfilled passion (yes I recognise the irony given who our current coach is).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back