List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

trading wines off to north has to be a longshot

Why does wines agree to that?

Does Hinkley veto it?

Why would we part with him unless it’s for a first 22 player of need or a good draft pick/s?

Why would north give up a good player or good draft picks for a guy that will be 30 next year with heart palpitations an ongoing issue?

I don’t see the value in giving him away for nothing, he’s only contracted for 2 more years after this and we can afford to pay him.

Of course we need to bring in some good young players to develop in the midfield so for the right draft picks I would do it but yeah, can’t see it happening.

trading wines off to north has to be a longshot

Why does wines agree to that?

Does Hinkley veto it?

Why would we part with him unless it’s for a first 22 player of need or a good draft pick/s?

Why would north give up a good player or good draft picks for a guy that will be 30 next year with heart palpitations an ongoing issue?

I don’t see the value in giving him away for nothing, he’s only contracted for 2 more years after this and we can afford to pay him.

Of course we need to bring in some good young players to develop in the midfield so for the right draft picks I would do it but yeah, can’t see it happening.
I’m with you, can’t see it happening and hope Wine’s is a 1 club player who plays 300 plus games for Port.

Someone with Wine’s resume and contract status would still demand a first round pick.

North’s have pick 1… but no one really have the collateral to split that with them.

I’m with you, can’t see it happening and hope Wine’s is a 1 club player who plays 300 plus games for Port.

Someone with Wine’s resume and contract status would still demand a first round pick.

North’s have pick 1… but no one really have the collateral to split that with them.

And that’s the issue, his value to us is reasonable, but if the shoes were on the other foot would we pay a 1st for him. No.

Also as I said before the interest would almost certainly be one way, north can want wines all they like, if wines doesn’t see any reason to go there he’s not agreeing to a trade. Nor can I see Hinkley letting wines go when hinkley will be fighting for survival in 2025.

There are a few things tugging at me with Wines.

The positives - good, loyal player
The negatives - didn't get it done

For mine, my heart would like him to stay, my mind says a first rounder would be good business.

When Melbourne rebuilt their list, they were very good at moving on players that didn't fit their profile quickly, even high draft picks and got what they could for them and used that draft capital wisely.

I'd go with a late 1st and Taylor Goad.

Or Taylor Goad and a decent pick next year.

Or Taylor Goad and something.

I'd go with a late 1st and Taylor Goad.

Or Taylor Goad and a decent pick next year.

Or Taylor Goad and something.
For Wines?

No way North Melbourne trade a first year, first round, ruck for Wines.

Even if it will take them 3 plus years to develop him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wines needs to be in the first midfield rotation to play his best football. Its possible he wants an onfield/off-field leadership role. It could be a good thing for him. It would be a good get for North both on field and off-field as they need to one day land a name player. It's very unlikely. They might get some draft assistance they need to trade.

The money would really have to talk to get Wines to move to North, and we're already paying him well.

Putting aside he'd barely win another game for the rest of his career, I doubt he'd want to play under Clarkson if he's one of the players who has been keen to keep Ken.

I'm more than happy for Ollie to stay and really don't see how a decent trade could be done with norf. Ollie is contracted and we're not trying to dump salary so giving another club a contracted player who'd instantly become their best midfielder would not come cheap. Norf will this and next year have early 1st rounders which are obviously off the table and that being so why would we entertain losing Ollie for scraps?

Like I said, more than happy for Ollie too stay.

I love Butters but every time I hear how connected he is to Ken and he wants to one day end up back in Victoria I just think trade.

Would we be better off with Josh Smillie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back