List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why we are after him. Powell-Pepper back next year. Is Richards an upgrade worth about a Pick 30-40 player on what we already have (FEvans, Farknarkle, Cheese, Alphabet soup, Barratt (assuming we pick him).
The contract we're offering him is ludicrous. It has regret written all over it. Just as bringing in 2 rucks did last year.

If we are serious about winning a premiership Dan Houston is almost the last player you let leave. Was a massive loss in the finals.
We're not. Didn't you hear what David Koch said on the B&F? Making finals is a pass mark and we were the "youngest team in the finals series".:tearsofjoy:

Making the top 8 is enough for this team now.

Don’t know much about this Joe Richards fella but let’s not forget we had Frank Evans, Jed McEntee and Quinton Narkle in our team so it wouldn’t be hard to be an upgrade on those players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

VFL Showreel, R2: Joe Richards highlights

Joe Richards looks a level about our SANFL small forwards

On PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think the people that have posted here saying "Hope he stays at Collingwood" just don't realise how much better this guy is that our current small forward line up of Narkle, McEntee, FEvans and Mead. He could be better than DBJ too who had a good season in terms up output.

One of things that confused me about Pies was how they used Richards higher up the ground and got him to come up the wing. The Telstra Tracker has this guy as the best in work rate both in attack and defence. But personally I'd use him a lot closer to goal than getting him to play higher up the ground. His goal sense is very good.

Nope, we should get both picks. Why are we suddenly undervaluing Houston? Carlton are being dumb, they're never gonna get a deal done centred around 13. This trade will be the last one to get done if he is adamant on going to Carlton.

We need to take into consideration that by trading Houston Carlton (or Pies to an extent) rather than North, we're boosting their premiership chances. So taking Unders will come back to bite us
if there was ever a time that we locked down on not trading a player it is now on Houston. At least until the last 15 minutes of trade period.

Don’t know much about this Joe Richards fella but let’s not forget we had Frank Evans, Jed McEntee and Quinton Narkle in our team so it wouldn’t be hard to be an upgrade on those players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sounds like MacRae has made an impassioned plea for him to stay.
And upped their offer.
So suspect he snubs us.

Getting compensation for a free agent goes against the very concept of what free agency is. Only the AFL could get such a simple concept so fundamentally wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember catching a snippet of television news in late 1998 and hearing that we'd picked up a few players, including Che Cockatoo Collins and thinking 'cool!' and that was the entirety of the trade period for me.

It was a far better and healthier time

I would take 13, 23 and Richards for Houston. Obviously would prefer higher picks but I feel like if we want to get back in to top 30, get the deal done, and not have this carry on into next year, we just do it. It's not the best, but not terrible either.

Also 23 could be ontraded for Luko

Nope 2 x 1st rounders. Sick and tired of the club not standing their ground during the trade period.

I don’t want Richards to be part of the Houston trade. We’re giving away a top 5 player and making their side stronger for pick 13, 23 and Richards. Assuming
if the pies get those picks from GC for Noble and their future 1st rounder, those picks will get pushed out.

From a picks perspective, it would make more sense if GC traded their pick 13 to the Swans for picks 19 and 22 and get more points.

Getting compensation for a free agent goes against the very concept of what free agency is. Only the AFL could get such a simple concept so fundamentally wrong.

The entire player acquisition system is totally flawed and has become corrupted over time to the point where it doesn't do anything it sets out to achieve.

Get rid of free agency compensation.

Force clubs to properly pay for father son picks.

Get rid of academy picks or make it a maximum of one player per year with the same proper price as for father sons.

Recognise that we are now an 18 soon to be 20 team comp and that the reverse ladder draft is now insufficient as an equaliser, especially in the context of free agency and looser player movement. Give teams down the bottom more access to talent which will enable bad teams to rebuild and become competitive much more quickly and basically close the gap between top and bottom which is bigger than it's ever been.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back