List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 2024 Draft thread I made two posts #469 and #478, saying I would cut/trade 12 + 8 = 20 players over the next 14 months from the final 2024 list of 43.

43 doesn't count Rookie B signing Jacob Moss in August. He has no form to comment how long he should or shouldn't stay on the list, plus technically he doesn't join the list until after the 2024 draft period.

Cut/trade in October/November 2024
3 Burton
4 Marshall
5 Houston, don't want to really get rid of him, but we get two decent 2024 1st round picks either direct or get a F1 and then retrade that for a 2024 first rounder, so be it.
10 Boak
12 Mckenzie
13 Soldo if he doesn't want to stay and play 2nd fiddle to Sweet
17 Clurey
22 Dixon

23 Williams
37 McCallum
41 McEntee
42 Narkle

In post #478 I wrote - In October 2025 I would cull / delist the following players if they don't have a big 2025
Cut/trade in October/November 2025
11 Finlayson
16 Wines
27 Ratugollea - *** when I wrote this I thought he had a 3 year contract. Found out later it was 5.
31 F Evans
33 DBJ
39 Jackson
40 K Marshall
44 Mead

Tom Scully was cut today so 8 of 20 above are gone. So 9 down and I wouldn't be surprised if another player, maybe two, is delisted before the draft.

Disappointed Scully got the chop. It means Lord, Georgiades, Luko and Rat are going to get first go barring serious injury, and Marshall and Finlayson will probably get a go early in the season but I doubt they will be there late in the season if we are charging to finals.
It leaves a lot of players needing a big 2025 to earn a new contract. And again, we don’t have a first round pick or strong draft hand to replace them.

We need to attract a few free agents and get lucky with another Logan Evans or two.

Are our four rookies: L Evans, Walsh, Williams, McEntee? Plus Moss as Cat B?
I believe so.

Although McEntee could have signed a 2 year deal, where 2024 he is on the rookie list and 2025 he is elevated to main list. We have done this with a few players trying to max the $80k, which now might be $100k base payment of Rookies, that are not included in the salary cap calculation.

We did this with Houston, think 2018-19 2 year contract, and he wasn't thrilled being called a rookie, but he was being paid more than the rookie base payment. We did it to save cap space.

Can we stop hanging crap on Atkins! Not his fault he was selected by us. Plus is seconds form was amazing, compared to what our seniors put up.

I vaguely remember him doing okay against us. Plus another wise head could help, I hope.

Last edited:
With the departure of Clurey, Kyle Marshall and McKenzie we are going to need to draft a KPD or two. Currently we only have the very inexperienced Moss from the AFL listed guys who played KPD for the Maggies left. An injury to one or more of Aliir, BZT or Ratugolea and we are in trouble.

(I forgot about Walsh who played some games in defense)

Last edited:
With the departure of Clurey, Kyle Marshall and McKenzie we are going to need to draft a KPD or two. Currently we only have the very inexperienced Bass from the AFL listed guys who played KPD for the Maggies left. An injury to one or more of Aliir, BZT or Ratugolea and we are in trouble.
Drafting an 18 year old KPD doesn't help us at all right now. They'd possibly be less developed than Walsh and Moss.

Can we stop hanging crap on Atkins! Months fault he was selected by us. Plus is seconds form was amazing really compared to what our seniors put up there.

I vaguely remember him doing okay for us. Plus another wise head could help, I hope.

wat.jpg

With the departure of Clurey, Kyle Marshall and McKenzie we are going to need to draft a KPD or two. Currently we only have the very inexperienced Bass from the AFL listed guys who played KPD for the Maggies left. An injury to one or more of Aliir, BZT or Ratugolea and we are in trouble.
We were reportedly interested in Grainger-Barras last year. I wonder if we would have another look?

Caleb Marchbank is the other DFA that might be worth a shot. He can’t get on the park (bit of a problem) but at least when he does he’s AFL quality.

Drafting an 18 year old KPD doesn't help us at all right now. They'd possibly be less developed than Walsh and Moss.
Yeah you are right. I forgot about Walsh (who might be able to step up) and mis-named Moss (who is way off being ready). We'll need to look for a more experienced KPD for one of our selections. Some on here have liked Grainger-Barrass for a while but he didn't make it at the Hawks and they just delisted him. There are a few of good young KPD's in the draft but the chances of them being ready for AFL is close to zero. When was the last time an 18 year old KPD stepped into playing decent footy in their first year?

Can we stop hanging crap on Atkins! Not his fault he was selected by us. Plus is seconds form was amazing, compared to what our seniors put up.

I vaguely remember him doing okay against us. Plus another wise head could help, I hope.

What I find amazing is that there is very little disagreement over the 9 players who have dropped off our list so far and yet there is general dismay that a further handful of players such as Boak, Atkins and McEntee are still on the list and a regret that we weren't able to trade Soldo.

So presumably the argument is an 18 year old pick 90 is still better than Boak, Atkins and McEntee because at least they could be good.

And yet amusingly, these same posters will whinge endlessly about lack of depth once we get a few injuries.

What I find amazing is that there is very little disagreement over the 9 players who have dropped off our list so far and yet there is general dismay that a further handful of players such as Boak, Atkins and McEntee are still on the list and a regret that we weren't able to trade Soldo.

So presumably the argument is an 18 year old pick 90 is still better than Boak, Atkins and McEntee because at least they could be good.

And yet amusingly, these same posters will whinge endlessly about lack of depth once we get a few injuries.
Agreed. I understand Atkins isn’t a romantic selection or inspiring. His selection has lost any logic being given with the Houston undervalue trade and Perryman loss. However, I’m interested to see how this plays out.

Imagine if he offered us something! He’s likely got one year left on his existing contract and if the whispers are he’s a good footy brain, perhaps he will be an onfield coach, we need all the help we can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still out of contract ahead of draft:
Darcy CravenBrisbane
Luke BeeckenBrisbane
Charlie DeanCollingwood
Ned LongCollingwood
Reef McInnesCollingwood
Jayden DaveyEssendon
Max KnobelFremantle
Odin JonesFremantle
Tom EmmettFremantle
Pat DangerfieldGeelong
Mitch DuncanGeelong
Rhys StanleyGeelong
Josh FaheyGWS Giants
Joshua BennettsHawthorn
Marty HoreMelbourne
Blake DruryNorth Melbourne
Charlie LazzaroNorth Melbourne
Cooper HarveyNorth Melbourne
Hugh JacksonPort Adelaide
Kamdyn McIntoshRichmond
Mate ColinaRichmond
Thomson DowRichmond
Matt CoulthardRichmond
Noah CumberlandRichmond
Ben PatonSt Kilda
Jack HayesSt Kilda
Olli HottonSt Kilda
Tim MembreySt Kilda
Aaron FrancisSydney
Luke EdwardsWest Coast

Darcy CravenBrisbane
Luke BeeckenBrisbane
Charlie DeanCollingwood
Ned LongCollingwood
Reef McInnesCollingwood
Jayden DaveyEssendon
Max KnobelFremantle
Odin JonesFremantle
Tom EmmettFremantle
Pat DangerfieldGeelong
Mitch DuncanGeelong
Rhys StanleyGeelong
Josh FaheyGWS Giants
Joshua BennettsHawthorn
Marty HoreMelbourne
Kamdyn McIntoshRichmond
Mate ColinaRichmond
Thomson DowRichmond
Matt CoulthardRichmond
Noah CumberlandRichmond
Ben PatonSt Kilda
Jack HayesSt Kilda
Olli HottonSt Kilda
Tim MembreySt Kilda
Aaron FrancisSydney
Luke EdwardsWest Coast
That Paddy Dangerfield guy goes alright, would have him 😜

Olli Hotton, brother of Taj, out of contract. Interesting

Darcy CravenBrisbane
Luke BeeckenBrisbane
Charlie DeanCollingwood
Ned LongCollingwood
Reef McInnesCollingwood
Jayden DaveyEssendon
Max KnobelFremantle
Odin JonesFremantle
Tom EmmettFremantle
Pat DangerfieldGeelong
Mitch DuncanGeelong
Rhys StanleyGeelong
Josh FaheyGWS Giants
Joshua BennettsHawthorn
Marty HoreMelbourne
Kamdyn McIntoshRichmond
Mate ColinaRichmond
Thomson DowRichmond
Matt CoulthardRichmond
Noah CumberlandRichmond
Ben PatonSt Kilda
Jack HayesSt Kilda
Olli HottonSt Kilda
Tim MembreySt Kilda
Aaron FrancisSydney
Luke EdwardsWest Coast
Yeah that's not right. Jackson was contracted till '25.

Our list changes are near certainly done. Would be a huge surprise to delist another contracted player.

Yeah that's not right. Jackson was contracted till '25.

Our list changes are near certainly done. Would be a huge surprise to delist another contracted player.
Would be a surprise, but it would also be the right call to make further delistings

It's the objectively weird favouritism for Jed that pisses people off. He sucks. Everyone can see that. Yet he gets special treatment. Then you have guys like Dylan Williams who actually had a really good season in 23 get inexplicably banished.

Let me explain to you how depth charts work.

We generally pick three half backs each week. By the end of the season, the depth chart for this position looked something like:

Houston
Farrell
Evans
Burton
Sinn
Williams

As for small forwards, we generally pick four with one of those playing as sub. The depth chart for small forward looked something like:

Rioli
Powell-Pepper
Byrne-Jones
Evans/Narkle/McEntee

So as you can see the way this works is the better the depth you have in a position, the better the players who miss out on selection, and vice versa. So comparing Williams not getting a game to Evans/Narkle/McEntee getting a game is totally disingenuous.

Speaking of Williams, I still think we should move him back to the small forward role. He is so talented around goals and I just can't see him getting a spot in the AFL side from half back anymore.

Speaking of Williams, I still think we should move him back to the small forward role. He is so talented around goals and I just can't see him getting a spot in the AFL side from half back anymore.

They like high effort small forwards who can chase and bring contest. It's why McEntee gets games, it's why Narkle was rarely trusted as anything but sub and it's why Williams was moved out of the position.

They like high effort small forwards who can chase and bring contest. It's why McEntee gets games, it's why Narkle was rarely trusted as anything but sub and it's why Williams was moved out of the position.
Yea but they are idiots.

Let me explain to you how depth charts work.

We generally pick three half backs each week. By the end of the season, the depth chart for this position looked something like:

Houston
Farrell
Evans
Burton
Sinn
Williams

As for small forwards, we generally pick four with one of those playing as sub. The depth chart for small forward looked something like:

Rioli
Powell-Pepper
Byrne-Jones
Evans/Narkle/McEntee

So as you can see the way this works is the better the depth you have in a position, the better the players who miss out on selection, and vice versa. So comparing Williams not getting a game to Evans/Narkle/McEntee getting a game is totally disingenuous.

Why do they get one line for the 3 of them, when every defender gets a line? 🤔

I'd argue Williams is better than Burton and Sinn, whereas McEntee is worse than Evans and narkle.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back