List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we finish bottom 3 (incredibly unlikely in my opinion), and we were guaranteed compo that resulted in us getting pick 2-4, I would understand moving Sicily on.

I'd be emotional about it and quite upset, but understand ruthlesness is required to go to the top.
Croad says hi!

If we finish bottom 3 (incredibly unlikely in my opinion), and we were guaranteed compo that resulted in us getting pick 2-4, I would understand moving Sicily on.

I'd be emotional about it and quite upset, but understand ruthlesness is required to go to the top.
We only find out what the compo is if another club tables an offer and he accepts it. At which point I don't consider it a case of us being ruthless moving him on. That's just being pragmatic and accepting that he's decided to leave and we can make the best of it.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of pushing him to leave if he has a strong preference to stay just so we can manufacture another top pick. Particularly as it could be back fire if he turns around and chooses a club that doesn't offer enough for the top compo. We'd be massive jerks to push him out for a compo pick and then turn around and match to force a trade because it wasn't good enough.

if sicily goes, our backline is ****ed. It’s DGB and Frost taking the talls. We don’t have another KPD on the list (assuming hartigan goes at end of year). We’d have to recruit one and get games into them. It’s 3+ years at that point.

It might be time to retry Kozi in defence (yes everyone says he struggled there but he had a breakout year as a forward last year and might have some new strings to his bow). He’s quick enough and strong enough.

5 years off anything meaningful? Such a nothing statement. Carlton had multiple pick 1s and won nothing.
Your 2005 example, well we won a flag 3 years later.

There is no blueprint for a rebuild. There are no guarantees. There is no ceiling on what Sam can do with this group.

We have had significant change for the last 2-3 seasons, not just last off season. The rebuild starting a while ago.
Two months ago we were no chance of playing finals in the next 3 years, after the Port win and Carlton loss some pundits said we were good enough to play finals this year.

We lose to the Saints badly and we’re back out to 5 years in the wilderness.

It’s a very reactionary world, the footy world.

if sicily goes, our backline is f’ed. It’s DGB and Frost taking the talls. We don’t have another KPD on the list (assuming hartigan goes at end of year). We’d have to recruit one and get games into them. It’s 3+ years at that point.

It might be time to retry Kozi in defence (yes everyone says he struggled there but he had a breakout year as a forward last year and might have some new strings to his bow). He’s quick enough and strong enough.
I don’t want to lose Sicily, but if we’re bottom 5 and there’s a second top 10 pick on offer I can see the club biting the bullet.
Imagine then that one of Tom or JOM decide to take a contract to a contender, and we pay enough salary to get a late first/early second and then all of a sudden Sam has something to really work with at Draft time.

Picks 4, 5, 18 and 23 would be something the footy dept would love to have in this draft, purely as an example.

I don’t want to lose Sicily, but if we’re bottom 5 and there’s a second top 10 pick on offer I can see the club biting the bullet.
Imagine then that one of Tom or JOM decide to take a contract to a contender, and we pay enough salary to get a late first/early second and then all of a sudden Sam has something to really work with at Draft time.

Picks 4, 5, 18 and 23 would be something the footy dept would love to have in this draft, purely as an example.

Oh for sure. I don’t want to lose sicily either. But if he does go I’m sure we’d make the best out of a bad situation.

5 years off anything meaningful!!!!!! What a load of TOSH!!!!! So, let the word out then, anyone over 26 can pack their bags and **** off!!!!! Just such stupid remarks like that make you realise how fickle this game is. First 3 weeks we were the most exciting team with a fresh approach and finals not out of reach , then 4 'awful ' qtrs of footy and we are told by 'some' that there's no use turning up for FİVE years! Ok computer

Miles off challenging for a Premiership, we have so many holes it really isn't that far fetched. By something meaningful I assume the poster meant a legit shot at a flag.

I think we've missed the boat on getting anything for Mitchell and Jaeger, both are nearing 30 and it seems their best footy is behind them based on the first month in 2022.

Add a Marshall / Jackson
a Petracca/Bont
and an Andrews/Weitering

Then we would be a premiership dynasty capable squad.

So close yet so far.

At this point it's all hope, no certainty. These crucial structural pieces we do not have on our list or if they are they are yet to show themselves.

If we weren't offered it I would expect we'd match and force the trade. Doubt it gets that far because we'd surely be making it known ahead of time that we'd be expecting at least the equivalent of the highest tier compo in trade. Makes it in the interest of the other club to ensure their offer triggers it.
That’s exactly how the game is played. You gotta work the system like a puppet.

We have young players who look potentially elite in all areas of the ground.

All you need are Lewis, Day, DGB and Josh Ward to hit their peaks in the same window and the rest of our list, by then, should be strong enough to support them. The wheels are in motion. It will take two more drafts and 3 more years of development for the list to be entering the sweet spot, barring all circumstances such as injury, trade requests etc.

It all rests on the players completely buying in and fulfilling their talent and the coaches to nurture and educate them on that journey.

If those planets align then we will be ready to compete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miles off challenging for a Premiership, we have so many holes it really isn't that far fetched. By something meaningful I assume the poster meant a legit shot at a flag.

I think we've missed the boat on getting anything for Mitchell and Jaeger, both are nearing 30 and it seems their best footy is behind them based on the first month in 2022.
I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see a team give up a 1st rounder for Mitchell. Not a team that’s likely to finish top 5 but certainly a team in or on the cusp of the 8. I’m thinking a team like St.Kilda and like others have mentioned it might take us paying a bit of his salary to get the deal over the line. I’d do it if the pick fell in the top 10. His on field numbers are clearly a by product of Sammy’s system as you don’t the ball magnet instincts he has over night.

We have young players who look potentially elite in all areas of the ground.

All you need are Lewis, Day, DGB and Josh Ward to hit their peaks in the same window and the rest of our list, by then, should be strong enough to support them. The wheels are in motion. It will take two more drafts and 3 more years of development for the list to be entering the sweet spot, barring all circumstances such as injury, trade requests etc.

It all rests on the players completely buying in and fulfilling their talent and the coaches to nurture and educate them on that journey.

If those planets align then we will be ready to compete.
Agreed. The natural progression of our list will also coincide with the finishing up of other teams windows and inevitable rebuilds.

Last edited:
To win flags in todays game you need a defender that can control the play. We do in Sicily and hopefully DGB becomes another one.

We lose Sic and we lose a key piece of the puzzle. We need to keep him.

To win flags in todays game you need a defender that can control the play. We do in Sicily and hopefully DGB becomes another one.

We lose Sic and we lose a key piece of the puzzle. We need to keep him.
We're few years off challenging a top 5 pick now would be entering his prime when we plan to challenge in 3 or so year. Two top 5 picks this year while still having DBG, Day, CJ, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Impey, Bramble on our list would be a nice position to be in

No takers for Mitchell or O’Meara last year. Can’t see that changing. A club might take Mitchell if we pay a large chunk of salary.
For a team in premiership contention a late first round pick for Mitchell should still be around the mark.

Salary caps are starting to return to normal so this helps player movement.

O'Meara on the other hand may get us a second round pick.

Last edited:
For a team in premiership contention a late first round pick for Mitchell should still be around the mark.

O'Meara on the other hand may get us a second round pick.
Port would be tempted they're too good not to be challenging, they need someone to help Boak while he's playing good footy(he's not getting any younger). Future first and Hawthorn pay 300k of the contract.

Last edited:
Port would be tempted they're too good not to be challenging, they need someone to help Boak while he's playing good footy(he's not getting any younger). Future first and Hawthorn 300k of the contract.
I hope Clarko returns to coaching in 2023. I feel he'd pay overs for a few Hawks. An has history of paying overs for players like Chad and Jaeger.

Salary caps are starting to return to normal so this helps player movement.

I wonder of wingard wants ro return home? Especially if Clarko is at port?

Id love to send off Mitchell for a late first round pick, O'Meara early second and Wingard a first round pick .

Keep Gunston, Shiels and Bruest to teach the kids about training and premierships.

An open to Sicily staying or going either way we win.

Hartigan and Howe never to return to our senior team.

I know you like being negative . So many holes is a pretty big exaggertion tbh .

It may not look it now but we have drafted pretty well over the last 3 drafts . In fact early doors I would say its impressive.
Looks like we have absolutely nailed last year too. Ward , Macdonald look class long term players .
Long looks to be a great value pick and that big mid we are after and nice wraps from outside the club on Butler.

Add in huge value for Newcombe and Bramble who both look at worst very good AFL players.

We are young and play an attractive brand so think we would be right in the mix for a quality FA to plug another gap.

Seems a few are overreacting to a tough game against an older seasoned side on Sunday.

My opinion is no side is as far away as it seems.

Some sides make the jump quickly and some never get there, but you can go from zero to hero pretty quickly if you get things right and have a slice of luck.

With the right extra piece or two (draft/trade/FA) and the extra 20-30 games in a young core the move from bottom 6 to top 6 can happen fairly quickly. I don't believe all this "at least 5-7 years away from challenging" type comments you hear, about us or anyone else*

Edit * except for the Scum. 6000+ and counting :hearteyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back