List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a team in premiership contention a late first round pick for Mitchell should still be around the mark.

Salary caps are starting to return to normal so this helps player movement.

O'Meara on the other hand may get us a second round pick.

Yes. Last trade period was a bad one to make so public a discussion about floating names when even kbd warriors like me could see it was unlikely that any team wanting a Mitchell or an omeara would even have early 1st round picks, let alone be prepared to give them up.
Especially as these things can happen relatively quietly see the bigboy trade to us as an example

I know you like being negative . So many holes is a pretty big exaggertion tbh .

It may not look it now but we have drafted pretty well over the last 3 drafts . In fact early doors I would say its impressive.
Looks like we have absolutely nailed last year too. Ward , Macdonald look class long term players .
Long looks to be a great value pick and that big mid we are after and nice wraps from outside the club on Butler.

Add in huge value for Newcombe and Bramble who both look at worst very good AFL players.

We are young and play an attractive brand so think we would be right in the mix for a quality FA to plug another gap.

Seems a few are overreacting to a tough game against an older seasoned side on Sunday.

Long and Butler are yet to debut.

Every single team can make the same claims that they have young players that look like great value.

As it stands our backline looks like it is set for the future, bar a second KPD to compliment DBG.

Ward, MacDonald, Newcombe and Nash have shown promise as a midfield unit moving forwards.

We only have two quality long term options in the forward line in Moore and Lewis, both are guns. But who knows where Brockman is at? Kosi is seemingly out of favor, and has been playing in the ruck at Box Hill. Mitchell has been unimpressive so far at Box Hill. Jeka has played two games and has struggled so far at Box Hill this season. Callow hasn't debuted.

Maybe guys like Butler, Long, Downie, Jeka, Reeves, Lynch, Serong, Mitchell, Callow, etc. are the answers moving forward.

Based on our drafting recently I think most of those guys will answer the call - but right now as it stands we still need long term options for KPD, midfield depth, HFF (x1), KPF, wing, FP (x2) to announce themselves.

Based on our drafting recently I think most of those guys will answer the call - but right now as it stands we still need long term options for KPD, midfield depth, HFF (x1), KPF, wing, FP (x2) to announce themselves.

getting solid pressure fwds and forward flankers is pretty easy to do without giving up too many assets

i'd say the draft focus with early picks will need to be on another one to two KPPs, a winger and another midfielder or two

getting solid pressure fwds and forward flankers is pretty easy to do without giving up too many assets

i'd say the draft focus with early picks will need to be on another one to two KPPs, a winger and another midfielder or two

We've already used two second rounders and a third rounder on those positions, hopefully at least two of them develop into quality players.

I agree that our top pick(s) should be used on elite midfielders or KPP though.

I hope Clarko returns to coaching in 2023. I feel he'd pay overs for a few Hawks. An has history of paying overs for players like Chad and Jaeger.

Salary caps are starting to return to normal so this helps player movement.

I wonder of wingard wants ro return home? Especially if Clarko is at port?

Id love to send off Mitchell for a late first round pick, O'Meara early second and Wingard a first round pick .

Keep Gunston, Shiels and Bruest to teach the kids about training and premierships.

An open to Sicily staying or going either way we win.

Hartigan and Howe never to return to our senior team.

Why do you think Wingard is worth a first-rounder?
You are happy to trade him out because he isn't performing to a high standard but expect other clubs to play a high price for him.

I don't think it works that way in reality.

You are happy to trade him out because he isn't performing to a high standard but expect other clubs to play a high price for him.

Jom and Wingard for A First and Amon ;)

Fair question.

I think Wingard is one of those players whom plays well in a good team, yet 4 qtr games could take him to the next level. Wingard has x factor for big games, which wins finals.

Out of the three i'd keep Wingard. An if we were in a premiership window i would want to be keeping wingard.

Only wanting to trade due to where our list is at and the importantance of youth now and high draft picks.

An besides look at what we paid for an out of form Wingard.

I hope Clarko returns to coaching in 2023. I feel he'd pay overs for a few Hawks. An has history of paying overs for players like Chad and Jaeger.
Clarkson doesn’t manage lists or trade currency.

Long and Butler are yet to debut.

Every single team can make the same claims that they have young players that look like great value.

As it stands our backline looks like it is set for the future, bar a second KPD to compliment DBG.

Ward, MacDonald, Newcombe and Nash have shown promise as a midfield unit moving forwards.

We only have two quality long term options in the forward line in Moore and Lewis, both are guns. But who knows where Brockman is at? Kosi is seemingly out of favor, and has been playing in the ruck at Box Hill. Mitchell has been unimpressive so far at Box Hill. Jeka has played two games and has struggled so far at Box Hill this season. Callow hasn't debuted.

Maybe guys like Butler, Long, Downie, Jeka, Reeves, Lynch, Serong, Mitchell, Callow, etc. are the answers moving forward.

We have no
- ruck forward/second KPF
-gorilla full back
- goal kicking clearence bull.

Need to fill these spots before I'll be convinced we are tracking for a premiership tilt.

We had a talented young group after 08 but we lost Croad, Campbell, Bateman etc. and it wasn't until we added Lake, Hale and some goal kicking mids in Smith, Burgoyne and Hill (amongs others) that we reached the top again.

Last edited:
We've already used two second rounders and a third rounder on those positions, hopefully at least two of them develop into quality players.

I agree that our top pick(s) should be used on elite midfielders or KPP though.
Butler, Seamus, Brocky in the last 2 drafts alone? and Long will likely play some fwd too

will be a great outcome of 1-2 of those 4 become perma best 22 players

in general i reckon (would be an exercise too arduous to bother with) that the highest proportion of AA players to come from the rookie draft would be small fwds. how many elite small fwds are taken early in the draft?

off the top of my head Cyril comes to mind of course, and Kozzy

but looking at AA teams 2019–21

Charlie Cameron - rookie draft
Walters (admittedly played a lot of midfield) - Pick 58
Liam Ryan - relatively high, Pick 26
Butler (squad) - 67
Papley - rookie draft
Toby was taken pick 11 but also i believe he was drafted as a mid?
Punky and Poppy were late picks too

i think we'll start seeing small fwds taken consistently earlier in the draft

I'll be surprised if we don't attempt to move on O'Meara and Mitchell again.

Both have another year to run on their contracts but 'clean air' for Ward, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Maginness and Macdonald may be what's best for them personally and the club going forward.
I thought the same but I now think Mitchell is worth keeping. He is the sort of player who will play well into his 30s and his game should hold up.

I think he can be a part of the next flag.

I'm still all for shopping omeara though

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you like being negative . So many holes is a pretty big exaggertion tbh .

It may not look it now but we have drafted pretty well over the last 3 drafts . In fact early doors I would say its impressive.
Looks like we have absolutely nailed last year too. Ward , Macdonald look class long term players .
Long looks to be a great value pick and that big mid we are after and nice wraps from outside the club on Butler.

Add in huge value for Newcombe and Bramble who both look at worst very good AFL players.

We are young and play an attractive brand so think we would be right in the mix for a quality FA to plug another gap.

Seems a few are overreacting to a tough game against an older seasoned side on Sunday.

I think it's still very early to say, but yeah the fact they've played every week in year 1 so far is a huge positive.

The bit part players I think we'll find easy enough to build.

But we'll need to somehow try and find 3 or 4 players that are top 30 or 40 in the comp if we want to build into a contender. That's the extremely tough part.

Miles off challenging for a Premiership, we have so many holes it really isn't that far fetched. By something meaningful I assume the poster meant a legit shot at a flag.

I think we've missed the boat on getting anything for Mitchell and Jaeger, both are nearing 30 and it seems their best footy is behind them based on the first month in 2022.
Dark days are just around the corner. Hold tight!

The positive is it can't be as grim as 2020 when it was a bottom 4 side with a relatively old list.

Now yes, it's a struggling list, but at least it's a young list, it'll take time but hopefully in 3-4 years time it's in a really good place.

I do not think it will ever be as dark as the merger days. We have our eyes on the prize and are heading in the right direction with youth.

Who could be a part of our next premiership?

B Hardwick G-Barrass Sicily
H Scrimshaw ...........? Jiath
C MacDonald Day Ward
R Reeves Newcombe Worpel
H
F Moore Lewis

An we have a few who could play a role in the team or become a star as they develop further Morrison, Bramble, Downie, Callow, S.Mitchell, Butler, Serong, Long, Maginness, Brockman. An few more drafts to come yet.

We clearly have too many similar types in the midfield, so we must use all avenues to correct that including moving a few on and to me for a decent pick that includes worpel. I think they should stop trying JOM as anything but an inside mid, but with the caveat that he’s told he’s not the player they said he would be - stop the trying to break tackles nonsense he gets caught far too often. Get pill distribute pill mostly by hand. Would love a defence with Hardwick bramble as smalls, jiath and impey as mediums and DGB and Sicily and frost as talls with DGB off the bench. That said I don’t see scrimmy as anything but a defender and too good to leave out so one of those smaller types moves upfield with day. I
Am hoping the wing speed, Gunston and Breust replacements and second forward are already on our list but that still leaves I think 2 classy mids to complement ward and cmac.
Interesting question raised on here, that if we finish bottom 4 and Sicily got us pick 4 and 5 given our depth in defence would we want it? I find myself trying to find a way to achieve both…Horse Longmire given your clearance numbers and your commentary on if there’s only one football you would send Tim Mitchell to find it could we send him back for their first rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back