List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing Duke and Bramble play I’d be going best available with our pick in the mid season draft. I don’t see a point in drafting a seasoned ruckman to give us a Chop out for a few weeks just because we have a few injuries. Need to take best available talent to hopefully find another hidden gem out there!
100% this

I'd like the Club to go steal someone who's not just looking good now, but could be a super star in this league and grow with our Club.
Luke Jackson, here's 750K to come join the young uns at Hawthorn and grow together for the next decade.
Power running Ruckman-come forward to help us with ulimmited potential and greatness on the journey to our next glory.
Make it happen. Melbourne won't match with the requirements they already have on the books.
A free swing at an area that could benefit our group so enormously while continuing with the draft to build the list.

I'd like the Club to go steal someone who's not just looking good now, but could be a super star in this league and grow with our Club.
Luke Jackson, here's 750K to come join the young uns at Hawthorn and grow together for the next decade.
Power running Ruckman-come forward to help us with ulimmited potential and greatness on the journey to our next glory.
Make it happen. Melbourne won't match with the requirements they already have on the books.
A free swing at an area that could benefit our group so enormously while continuing with the draft to build the list.

mate melb have 3-4 prime years to go. 750k would be laughed at & it would cost 2 top 10s at least.

we need at least one probably 2 good drafts to add to our current <24 core then we can add/pinch blokes.

mate melb have 3-4 prime years to go. 750k would be laughed at & it would cost 2 top 10s at least.

we need at least one probably 2 good drafts to add to our current <24 core then we can add/pinch blokes.

Who would laugh at 750K? Jackson???
His contract runs out this year (his second one I believe). They either match or he walks.

Reckon 750K is double what he's making right now, and Melbourne have soooooooo many players to pay big money.

Was open to the idea of compo for Sicily if he decided to leave (especially if we finish bottom 4), but after his start to the year and also a feeling we won’t finish that low we must sign him up asap! My view is Replacing Gunston and Breust needs to be a priority as they are our standout class. Obviously more mid clearance winning and speed and a mid fwd striker (but can’t see where that’s coming from). Bring on a developing ruck and add a cheap lockdown kpd would round it out for me. We need one of callow or jeka to make it for me Jeka could be the Gunston replacement. not exactly i don’t expect as many goals, but his foot skills both sides are excellent. he would make a great chf connector to our forwards which we desperately need given how poor our inside 50s are.
Gunston and Breust are in the top handful of forwards of their type in the last decade across the afl. They will be very very hard to replace.
We’ve invested quite a bit in forwards - brock, seasmus, McDonald (fwd/mid), butler, serong + the later picks in Kosi, Jeka, callow but even then if even one got to level of Breust/Gunston we’d be doing well.
After seeing Duke and Bramble play I’d be going best available with our pick in the mid season draft. I don’t see a point in drafting a seasoned ruckman to give us a Chop out for a few weeks just because we have a few injuries. Need to take best available talent to hopefully find another hidden gem out there!
We need more talent on list so best available but at same time ruck is a big list issue. Will need at least one more ruck at season end if BB retires as expected - and they are not easy to find. Best case would be if we had two spots (in event of a lti) - best available talent then a ruck prospect.

His contract runs out this year (his second one I believe). They either match or he walks.
He's not a free agent...he would need to traded for.

If he doesn't sign a new contract, can't he walk to the draft and put a number on himself?
Yep, but that's a different kettle of fish...anyone who has the funds can take him...he might end up at North, or which ever other club was wooden spooner.

Any other club that wanted him would have to stump up in picks and players big time.

Not to mention he is a key player at a premiership contender for 10 years...they would move on many others before Luke Jackson

The likelihood of him leaving Melbourne is virtually zero, I would guess.

Reckon 750K is double what he's making right now, and Melbourne have soooooooo many players to pay big money.

He's from the same draft as Will Day. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of FA but I can't imagine he's anywhere near that point where other clubs can offer the big $$ that Melbourne needs to match. It's surely still trade or no deal.... and if I'm Melbourne it's no deal.

I'd also pay him upwards of $750K too.

Yep, but that's a different kettle of fish...anyone who has the funds can take him...he might end up at North, or which ever other club was wooden spooner.

Any other club that wanted him would have to stump up in picks and players big time.

Not to mention he is a key player at a premiership contender for 10 years...they would move on many others before Luke Jackson

The likelihood of him leaving Melbourne is virtually zero, I would guess.

Hey, I'm trying to work some list management magic here - throw a guy a bone.;)

Agree it would be a most unlikely route, and you'd need to sell him a vision of becoming 'the' guy at Hawthorn to join our youngest jets of Jai, Ward, Macca, Long, Butler, Jiath, Moore etc as a new rat pack training at the new million dollar digs.
As opposed to being just a piece of an already established side. Who haven't apparently offered him a significant contract with the last year of his deal currently running down....
It's not my money, so lets make it a mil a year for 3 years to scare off competition. Not sure ANY other bottom 8 side would enter the bidding without having serious conversations with Luke, which he could just refuse to participate in.
He could become our very own reverse-buddy, bad guying it to the Dees and ripping off a Dees jersey at a press conference to reveal a magnificent Hawthorn one beneath.

Come with me man, you know you want to believe it could happen....:hearteyes:
Imagine how tranformative to our list a free hit like that (excepting the dollars) would be in a position as influential as ruck/follower can be if the talent is supreme, and how magnificently it would meld with our youngest of group just coming through together.

christian bale smiling GIF

Hey, I'm trying to work some list management magic here - throw a guy a bone.;)

Agree it would be a most unlikely route, and you'd need to sell him a vision of becoming 'the' guy at Hawthorn to join our youngest jets of Jai, Ward, Macca, Long, Butler, Jiath, Moore etc as a new rat pack training at the new million dollar digs.
As opposed to being just a piece of an already established side. Who haven't apparently offered him a significant contract with the last year of his deal currently running down....
It's not my money, so lets make it a mil a year for 3 years to scare off competition. Not sure ANY other bottom 8 side would enter the bidding without having serious conversations with Luke, which he could just refuse to participate in.
He could become our very own reverse-buddy, bad guying it to the Dees and ripping off a Dees jersey at a press conference to reveal a magnificent Hawthorn one beneath.

Come with me man, you know you want to believe it could happen....:hearteyes:
Imagine how tranformative to our list a free hit like that (excepting the dollars) would be in a position as influential as ruck/follower can be if the talent is supreme, and how magnificently it would meld with our youngest of group just coming through together.

christian bale smiling GIF
You may need to do some more research, as i reckon Jackson will cost at least 1 mil a season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Move on from Jackson, it's just never going to happen.

Also, WA clubs would happily offer him a long term deal for 750k p.a......reckon he'll get offers well over that. Perfect time for a young ruckman wanting to go to Perth. WCE need to replace Nic Nat, Freo are entering a window and lack quality talls

Jackson worth talking to. But I don’t really see what more we could offer him that Melbourne isn’t already. They’ll find the money to keep him.
How times have changed. In the past all we would have to say is, we ain’t Melbourne buddy, how about it?

Just participating in a list management thread I have no ability to affect or predict.
Simply a thought bubble on how significant a change to our trajectory a player like that, in the position he plays, currently coming out of contract, would make.
But appreciate all the corrections, interesting to hear that everyone thinks the 35 gamer that he is, would laugh at an offer of 750K per year (or a million as I was happy to up it to coz it's not MY money), or that Melbourne would find it funny in the slightest.

I'll put $100 up right now that if he signs for Melbourne for his next contract it will be less than that.
Melbourne would be crying into their snow shoes and Range Rovers - not laughing - if Clubs made serious advances that were monetarily inviting, as they'll have to find quite a few dollars in the coming years to pay what is an undoubtedly talented group.

For reference, using numbers at end of 2021, making 750K a year puts you a tick outside the top 20 paid players in the entire AFL.
Petracca got locked up for 800K-900K over a 7 year contract end of 2020.
Gawn roughly 800K for 4 years beginning 2021.

But Jackson would laugh at 750K?
And Melbourne too?

Turn it up.

Last edited:
Just participating in a list management thread I have no ability to affect or predict.
Simply a thought bubble on how significant a change to our trajectory a player like that, in the position he plays, currently coming out of contract, would make.
But appreciate all the corrections, interesting to hear that everyone thinks the 35 gamer that he is, would laugh at an offer of 750K per year (or a million as I was happy to up it to coz it's not MY money), or that Melbourne would find it funny in the slightest.

I'll put $100 up right now that if he signs for Melbourne for his next contract it will be less than that.
Melbourne would be crying into their snow shoes and Range Rovers - not laughing - if Clubs made serious advances that were monetariy inviting, as they'll have to find quite a few dollars in the coming years to pay what is an undoubtedly talented group.

For reference, using numbers at end of 2021, making 750K a year puts you a tick outside the top 20 paid players in the entire AFL.

And Melbourne too?

Turn it up.
Im not sure Jackson would laugh at 750k and neither would Melbourne but they can offer a very real shot at premierships in the next three to four years.
That is our limiting factor. We are a few
years away from establishing ourselves. We are like the 2004 Hawks.

Melbourne would be crying into their snow shoes and Range Rovers - not laughing - if Clubs made serious advances that were monetariy inviting, as they'll have to find quite a few dollars in the coming years to pay what is an undoubtedly talented group.

And Melbourne too?

Turn it up.
Irrelevant what Melbourne would offer him to stay. You'd pay a premium to get him to switch clubs, especially if its not to his home state.

750k wouldn't even start a discussion

There is no logic in thinking Jackson comes to us.

We'd be foolish to give up the picks to get him given the talent gaps in our list, or force him to walk into a draft and pay him such high compo to keep Norf away, that it would create long term list management issues, see Pies with Grundy, Sydney with Franko, etc. I mean, why would he even want to join us?

I am hoping Mitchell tries to off-load a senior player or two e.g. JOM, for an extra pick in the early rounds and then we go to the draft as we did last year and bring in more young talent.

There is no logic in thinking Jackson comes to us.

We'd be foolish to give up the picks to get him given the talent gaps in our list, or force him to walk into a draft and pay him such high compo to keep Norf away, that it would create long term list management issues, see Pies with Grundy, Sydney with Franko, etc.

Yep no point wasting time discussing Jackson. Dees would want say 3 first round picks and maybe more? Which would basically limit our drafting over next two years. Not going to happen. We have more pressing list holes to fill.

Freo could have a swing as have a good group of young kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back