Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah wanting to play for a successful club that is not a merchant for wooden spoons lately..what a baby! Fair dinkum guys, he wants to play BLOCKBUSTERS..Melbourne do not play them, Essendon and the Pies do.:thumbsu:

essendon right now is not a successful club (either). collingwood is more successful and i can understand him saying i want to go to collingwood because i want to have a chance at a flag soon. But not essendon. clearly he has no respect for melbourne and doesn't think much of our future prospects. as for wanting to play blockbusters: every final is a blockbuster and bigger than every H/A game. Those blockbusters between bottom 4 sides are great, aren't they? also i think he may be overrating essendon's capacity to improve, if he is choosing clubs based one potential for success as he claims.

By the way, why does essendon need another jobe watson-type, and an expensive (and not as good) one at that?

I think his best fit is collingwood.

essendon right now is not a successful club (either). collingwood is more successful and i can understand him saying i want to go to collingwood because i want to have a chance at a flag soon. But not essendon. clearly he has no respect for melbourne and doesn't think much of our future prospects. as for wanting to play blockbusters: every final is a blockbuster and bigger than every H/A game. Those blockbusters between bottom 4 sides are great, aren't they? also i think he may be overrating essendon's capacity to improve, if he is choosing clubs based one potential for success as he claims.

By the way, why does essendon need another jobe watson-type, and an expensive (and not as good) one at that?

I think his best fit is collingwood.

this!

with the game getting faster and faster and essendon losing lovett, why would they want to add another slow paced expensive midfielder? they will get smashed in the middle with 2 slow midfielders.
i understand ball is a good player but essendon have jobe and i dont think in this day and age 2 slow inside midfielders would work. but with picks 24 and 26 its prob worth the gamble for the bombers.
good luck to luke but i hope he makes it to collingwood since he will fit in much better.
i think nominating essendon is like a plan B for him but with no one quoted in the artical i find it hard to believe

Ball is going to Essendon, no question.

I think he was treated badly in his last stint with the Saints, but i dont think he is good enough to be particular about the club he goes to. To not even consider Melbourne? Come on... they may be a few years off, but will have a premiership window that coincides with Balls playing career. Plus they were going to make him the Captain (think of the $$ Luke!!).

We all talk shit about Ross Lyon, but im sure he knows more about footy than all of us combined. Something MUST be something wrong with Ball.

Different circumstances:

* Bradshaw has not nominated for the national draft, only the pre-season draft.
* Bradshaw is training with Sydney, as he's allowed, but when Sydney have committed to him with their selection, and the fact that he's nominating a 3 year contract at good coin, given his age, it means no one else would consider him you'd think.
* Has Bradshaw given the indication to anyone he's step out of football if he doesn't end up at Sydney.

The last one being the key point. Saying you'd step out of footy if you don't end up where you want in the draft is draft tampering for mine... Don't believe Bradshaw has done this...

Agreed....I would think the AFL would look closely at taking action against him. However we should point out the article has no quotes from Ball or his manager and thus we can't really prove any draft tampering. Sadly. Anyway.

Despite how I can see Melb supporters would be annoyed, it doesn't change anything. It's like a game of poker and Ball's bluffing with an all in play. In reality there's next to no chance he'll step out of footy for 12 months. So if Melbourne (or any other club before pick 24) wants him, they should just call his cluff and pick him.

You would think he will end up at Essendon now if Hutchy has even spoken to ball. Considering there isn't one comment from either Ball or Conners in the article it's hard to believe anything the media is saying on this point.

Imagine if he is taken with pick 18 and does sit out a year. The AFL will have a huge egg on their face. Free agency is what sport is about these days.

Why would they have egg on their face? If anything Luke Ball would, because he'd be the one making the decision. I'd be more than happy to see him sit out if he wants to be that detrimental to his brand.

Why is everyone saying Ball wont be good for Essendon? IMO he would be great for their midfield. Whenever teams shutdown Watson they turn to shit so another hard nut would be exactly what they need.

The Pies midfield is pretty slow already so I dont think he will have as much of an impact than he could at the bombers.

Lol at Melbourne supporters crying cause he doesnt want to go to their shit club.

Why is everyone saying Ball wont be good for Essendon? IMO he would be great for their midfield. Whenever teams shutdown Watson they turn to shit so another hard nut would be exactly what they need. .

Ball is next to useless when the zone/ball spreads, kicking efficiency & pace are vital ingredients of Essendon's game plan, Ball doesn't aid them as much as you think.

Does anyone seriously think Luke Ball would walk away from playing football (and earning 500k) just because Melbourne drafted him?

He holds a commerce degree & his old man Ray, is high up in Macquarie Bank. He could earn half of that if he chose to enter the private sector, whilst achieving a boyhood dream of playing at Old Xavs (with their offield networks) with his brother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the big attractions in playing for these clubs. Reality is and this may sound harsh but apart from the Queens Birthday clas, what "blockbusters" do Melbourne play?

Can you please list me all of the blockbuster games played each season. I think Melbourne have one more than most clubs.

If he loses Ball to Essendon, he has effectively lost Pick 16 & Ball for Lovett. I reckon most people here could do a better deal than that.

Forget numbers and picks, people play footy. Decisions have been made and they have been made by people that go to work each day and discuss this for a living. We can talk all we want but we don't know the real reasons behind decions. There is a very good reason that Ball is leaving and all club recruiters will know it. Good or Bad they will make a choice.

I will be happy with any choice my club makes because they know more than I do. I might think otherwise but they will have a reason.

Intriguing stuff. Risk to Dees and Lions is that they spend a high draft pick and then he decides to sit it out for 12 months. Last thing Dees need. But if Dees finish last again he could be in same situation again although Dees probably won't risk another high pick and the relationship would be soured from losing previous year's pick.

If the Dees want to get him they have to convince him not to nominate for ND but instead pre-season draft otherwise they'd be mad to get him in the ND. He'll be at a club that he has needlessly cost them a high pick in ND. Not a good start.

No chance he'll go to Lions , pretty sure Bombers will get him before pick 27.

Big concerns about taking him is his manager has been tampering with the draft process by trying to discourage other clubs from taking him and not talking to some clubs. It will only take one of those clubs to get pissed off enough to get him de-registered.

While the AFL generally bends over for the players, they just can't afford to have the draft a mockery by having players choose to go to specific clubs in a draft. It is not how it works, players and managers know it. They should have requested mediation during trade week if they had a burning desire to get to a particular club.

Can you please list me all of the blockbuster games played each season. I think Melbourne have one more than most clubs.

ANZAC Day, Carlton-Essendon games, the other Collingwood-Essendon game, Essendon-Hawks, etc. Plus the Richmond games. I won't list all of them. Fact is the "big four" clubs have more blockbusters than the Dees!

Big concerns about taking him is his manager has been tampering with the draft process by trying to discourage other clubs from taking him and not talking to some clubs. It will only take one of those clubs to get pissed off enough to get him de-registered.

While the AFL generally bends over for the players, they just can't afford to have the draft a mockery by having players choose to go to specific clubs in a draft. It is not how it works, players and managers know it. They should have requested mediation during trade week if they had a burning desire to get to a particular club.
There was a time when Wayne Jackson was the boss that such a thing would not be tolerated. Ball and Connors would be hauled over the coals immediately and be told publicly to back off, otherwise the player faced possible deregistration. Be careful what you wish for because you might end up with a year's holiday anyway.

I'm not convinced we're going to hear anything at all from Demetriou on the subject. These days the salary cap is virtually open slather and players can cop hundreds of thousands for just endorsing their sponsor's social agenda. Why worry about the integrity of the draft and it's rules?

Let's see what you're really made of Andy!

How about some action?

Why is everyone saying Ball wont be good for Essendon? IMO he would be great for their midfield. Whenever teams shutdown Watson they turn to shit so another hard nut would be exactly what they need.

The Pies midfield is pretty slow already so I dont think he will have as much of an impact than he could at the bombers.

Lol at Melbourne supporters crying cause he doesn't want to go to their shit club.

Finally someone who actually understands essendon's midfield & the importance watson is to it, how refreshing! well done sir :thumbsu:

I'm guessing that Luke realises he has only got a couple of years left in the game, given all of his previous injuries, and as such, he is looking for a more immediate finals contender than Melbourne.

I disagree with the way he is approaching the situation though. When a player enters the ND, they accept the risk that a club which is not their first preference will draft them. It really is that simple, and once a nomination is made, the player really should just wait for the day. Trying to influence and persuade clubs to take or not to take you is pretty pathetic really, and goes against the underlying reasons for implementing a draft format in the first place.

Good luck to him in any case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back