Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh dear.

That Nick Stevens fella who became an A-grade star? No.

The guy that won at least one BnF at his time with his club? No.

The guy that won an AA jumper? No.

The guy that played in numerous finals series' and won matches off his own boot? No.

I guess, at least he is still playing AFL footy. Oh, that would be a NO too.

Fancy being a bunch of "tight fisted, penny pinchers" when the very player we were reluctant to trade has achieved all of the above.

Hey, at least he is the only player to have won 2 Michael Tuck medals. :eek:

As for Ball, sure, no deal was done in trade week. Shit happens.

Now, any club is well within their rights to select him in the National Draft.
And, for the record, Ball cannot come out and express a desire to ONLY play for Collingwood because that would be "draft tampering". This is why he is using other approaches such as refusing to meet clubs for interviews and undergo medical assessments.

Imagine posting an unsubstantiated rant. What a "nuffy". :rolleyes:

I have an idea.

Why dont we scrap the draft and let players decide where they want to play:eek:

Scott Camporeale board.

One premiership in 50 years board ...

Why doesn't collingwood try and 'improve' from within with it's own youngsters and playing list, instead of 'trying to top' up to try and add to it's pathetic meagre premiership tally of the last 5/6 decades ...

Why doesn't collingwood try and 'improve' from within with it's own youngsters and playing list, instead of 'trying to top' up to try and add to it's pathetic meagre premiership tally of the last 5/6 decades ...

Hahahahahahahaha. Prelim final with 12 players under 22. I'd say we are doing OK in the development front. The best of the lot didn't even play.

Digby Morrell, David Teague, Cain Ackland, Cameron Cloke, Dylan McLaren, Richard Hadley, Brock McLean, Chri$ 'me or Fev' Judd, Robert Warnock, Heath Scotland, Nick Stevens, Corey McKernan, Jason Saddington, Lachaln Henderson, Chris Johnson, the list goes on ' board'.

Can anyone else see the irony in this?:eek:

What does that even mean?
Pretty sure Carlton weren't that sad to see the injury prone 30yo Campo let go. And pretty sure no-one else wanted him.

We definitely had an interest in him at the time, however, he wanted to play for Essendon and he got his wish when we overlooked him in the PSD.

Why do the Collingwood fans seem to presume that telling Melbourne/Essendon/Brisbane fans there wasting there time thinking about Ball is going to stop those teams from drafting him??

If Ball is the best player available at there pick they would be crazy not to draft him regardless of any other factor. Ball is likely to just except his fate and play out his career with his new club, he is a professional footballer after all and the alternative is for him to just quit. Quit because he didnt get to Collingwood??? I highly doubt it...

The biggest sticking point I see in any of Brisbane, Essendon and Melbourne selecting him in the ND is the fact that they havn't had the benefit of doing a medical on him. Regardless of anything else it would be a massive risk to select a player with Luke Balls injury history without first doing due dilligence and giving him a medical. Good luck to any of them if they want to take the risk - they are well within their rights to - but personally I would be dissapointed if Collingwood picked up Ball if he didn't want to play for us, hadn't had a medical by our medical staff and on top of it all wanted that much money. I think it would be very unprofessional of any club to pick up a player without first undertaking a medical on the player.

The biggest sticking point I see in any of Brisbane, Essendon and Melbourne selecting him in the ND is the fact that they havn't had the benefit of doing a medical on him. Regardless of anything else it would be a massive risk to select a player with Luke Balls injury history without first doing due dilligence and giving him a medical. Good luck to any of them if they want to take the risk - they are well within their rights to - but personally I would be dissapointed if Collingwood picked up Ball if he didn't want to play for us, hadn't had a medical by our medical staff and on top of it all wanted that much money. I think it would be very unprofessional of any club to pick up a player without first undertaking a medical on the player.

But if collingwood has done a medical and are still willing to pick him up and wanting to pick him up, then couldnt a club safely assume that he will be ok to pick up as another club has given him an ok?

But if collingwood has done a medical and are still willing to pick him up and wanting to pick him up, then couldnt a club safely assume that he will be ok to pick up as another club has given him an ok?

Ummm no.

Collingwood do a medical and announce in the papers "yeah, we're going to take him". Then Essendon come along and nab him at pick 24. Collingwood then turn around with "oh, didn't you know how bad his knees/shoulders are lol".

Collingwoods prize for this is essentially moving up a place in the picking order as Essendon would have wasted their pick on a limp player. Collingwood may have never had any intentions of taking Ball and may not have to show their hand as Ball is likely to be drafted before their pick 30.

So in short, unless you see a medical report which has been seconded by an independent doctor or body then you should take another clubs public opinion with a grain of salt.

I hope he ends up at Melbourne against his will, does a knee and then disappears from football. No point crying over spilt milk, his preferred club couldn't get a deal done so he should just take what he can get in the ND/PSD. Its also pretty pathetic that he thinks he can manipulate the draft in order to get his own way.

Anyway, based on his 2009 form im shocked that he is even getting media attention at all. He moves like a ruckman and hasnt played good football for 3 years...

Ummm no.

Collingwood do a medical and announce in the papers "yeah, we're going to take him". Then Essendon come along and nab him at pick 24. Collingwood then turn around with "oh, didn't you know how bad his knees/shoulders are lol".

Collingwoods prize for this is essentially moving up a place in the picking order as Essendon would have wasted their pick on a limp player. Collingwood may have never had any intentions of taking Ball and may not have to show their hand as Ball is likely to be drafted before their pick 30.

So in short, unless you see a medical report which has been seconded by an independent doctor or body then you should take another clubs public opinion with a grain of salt.

That's true and a very good point. But because Collingwood were already willing to trade for him surely it shows that his body must be ok. I doubt we would've traded for him without getting a medical clearance.

Unless it's all one big smokescreen to essentially bump our pick to 29 ;)

Ummm no.

Only hole in this argument (and it's a hole the size of the Grand Canyon) is why then did Collingwood spend the entire Trade Week trying to get him.

Ummm no.

Agree strongly with this post, its very common for this sort of thing to happen. I have it on good authority that Matt Maguire is in a similar situation at Carlton. In the media Ratten is talking the whole deal down, making a big thing about his injuries and saying that he is only a slim chance to get on our list - but behind closed doors its pretty much a done deal (assuming everything goes to plan in the draft).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, it would be an assumption. A professional organisation would not (or shouldn't anyway) just make an assumption based on the perception Collingwood has passed him for a medical. They wouldn't be doing their due dilligence if they didn't look at him personally. It would be an enormous risk to base such a big decision on the fact that they think Collingwood "probably" passed him on a medical and not even knowing any of the details. I just can't see a professional organisation doing this. This fact alone IMO is the biggest issue for any other club that wants to recruit Luke Ball. Collingwood is the only other club besides StKilda that knows the details and extent of his injury history and current condition.

Exactly, it would be an assumption. A professional organisation would not (or shouldn't anyway) just make an assumption based on the perception Collingwood has passed him for a medical. They wouldn't be doing their due dilligence if they didn't look at him personally. It would be an enormous risk to base such a big decision on the fact that they think Collingwood "probably" passed him on a medical and not even knowing any of the details. I just can't see a professional organisation doing this. This fact alone IMO is the biggest issue for any other club that wants to recruit Luke Ball. Collingwood is the only other club besides StKilda that knows the details and extent of his injury history and current condition.

So you think he will go to Melbourne?
( Sorry Demons , couldn't resist ):D

The downfall in that arguement is that Ball hasn't been out of footy with injuries for any length of time. He played in the Gf just 50 days or so ago and played pretty well. Just can't understand all of the Collingwood supporters talking him up as a crock for any other team but wanting to draft him at pick 30:rolleyes:

The downfall in that arguement is that Ball hasn't been out of footy with injuries for any length of time. He played in the Gf just 50 days or so ago and played pretty well. Just can't understand all of the Collingwood supporters talking him up as a crock for any other team but wanting to draft him at pick 30:rolleyes:

Thats true but it's still not a medical. In all likelihood Luke Ball is fit enough to play for atleast a few seasons but until a club gets the benefit of undertaking a medical a club in all conscience can't know definitely - let alone know the details of his condition. It's due dilligence to do a medical and until one is done a club can't know for sure how bad his injuries actually are if any. That makes selecting him a massive risk and a massive gamble considering 1) his injury history 2) the fact he seems to not want to go to any club outside Collingwood 3) his price tag 4) the fact a draft selection would be used on him. I'm not disputing that any club doesn't have the right to draft him i'm just saying that without a medical it's a huge gamble and i'm not sure a professional club would risk it. Collingwood doesn't have the same issue as we have done a medical on Ball and also spoken to him.

On the last point I tend to agree in part. Personally I see him as a good fit for Collingwood, Essendon and Brisbane but don't really see the appeal for Melbourne as they are further behind in their development. In saying that I think he'd be a better fit and benefit the Collingwood side more than any other when you consider our list deficiencies and the development of our list. But thats debatable I suppose.

I hope he ends up at Melbourne against his will, does a knee and then disappears from football. No point crying over spilt milk, his preferred club couldn't get a deal done so he should just take what he can get in the ND/PSD. Its also pretty pathetic that he thinks he can manipulate the draft in order to get his own way.

Class act you carlton supporters. I'm hoping we get him but if we don't, there is no way I'd wish that on any player.

Class act you carlton supporters. I'm hoping we get him but if we don't, there is no way I'd wish that on any player.

Don't think for a moment that idiot speaks for the majority of Carlton supporters (neither do i for that matter)

It was a very disgraceful comment by Krueze Missle

Thats true but it's still not a medical. In all likelihood Luke Ball is fit enough to play for atleast a few seasons but until a club gets the benefit of undertaking a medical a club in all conscience can't know definitely - let alone know the details of his condition. It's due dilligence to do a medical and until one is done a club can't know for sure how bad his injuries actually are if any. That makes selecting him a massive risk and a massive gamble considering 1) his injury history 2) the fact he seems to not want to go to any club outside Collingwood 3) his price tag 4) the fact a draft selection would be used on him. I'm not disputing that any club doesn't have the right to draft him i'm just saying that without a medical it's a huge gamble and i'm not sure a professional club would risk it. Collingwood doesn't have the same issue as we have done a medical on Ball and also spoken to him.

On the last point I tend to agree in part. Personally I see him as a good fit for Collingwood, Essendon and Brisbane but don't really see the appeal for Melbourne as they are further behind in their development. In saying that I think he'd be a better fit and benefit the Collingwood side more than any other when you consider our list deficiencies and the development of our list. But thats debatable I suppose.

I doubt any club will pick him up without doing their due dilligence. No they can't have a medical done but I would think most clubs have spoken to St Kilda. The clubs are too smart these days to take a risk. Unless he picked up an injury on holiday then he should be ready to train.

In my opinion Essendon are barely better off than Melbourne. They made the finals but lost a lot of experience. Why is he such a good fit for Essendon? I think he best fits Brisbane. I hope anyone but Melbourne takes him.

I doubt any club will pick him up without doing their due dilligence. No they can't have a medical done but I would think most clubs have spoken to St Kilda. The clubs are too smart these days to take a risk. Unless he picked up an injury on holiday then he should be ready to train.

In my opinion Essendon are barely better off than Melbourne. They made the finals but lost a lot of experience. Why is he such a good fit for Essendon? I think he best fits Brisbane. I hope anyone but Melbourne takes him.

Because those experienced players contributed so much this year. Hille, Mcveigh, Prismall, Welsh, Reimers back and fit will (coupled with the development of Pears, Hurley, Ryder, Dempsey etc) see us well ahead of Melbourne again.

It would be very immoral of StKilda to give away medical information of one of their former players, in fact i'd question whether it's even legal. It's usually a condition of most employees that any medical information you give them is confidential. I really get sick of people talking about Ball like he is a piece of meat who doesn't have his own rights and giving away medical information against his will I find outrageous. If any club got caught doing that without the express permission of the player I hope they get fuct coz the idea of that to me is just so wrong.

On your Essendon comparisons all I can say is I disagree. Melbourne are much further away in their development than Essendon IMO. I think Ball would really provide Essendon good inside mid depth and help out Watson/Welsh/McVeigh and Prismall and help release some of their good outside players. The experience factor would also be attractive. Given they have really redeveloped their KP area I think they only really lack a bit of luck with their KPF's and quality in their depth to be a more consistent side. Ball and Williams would help thier depth and I guess they have to hope some of their young players develop well.

Melbourne are all hope and wishes. You have some good young top end talent and rubbish depth. There are holes all through your list. All I can say is your club picked a bad time to bottom out with the GC and WS concessions coming in. Your defense is ok, midfield has potential only and mostly gonna be determined by Scully and Trengrove and your forward line is in trouble. I don't think Ball at 25 and probably dealing with the best taggers which wont help his injury issues is a good fit for Melbourne. Just my opinion though and i'm sure you know your list better than me - but I don't think Ball is a good fit for a developing side. He suits Collingwood so much because he fits a direct need in what is otherwise a pretty healthy and competitive list.

It would be very immoral of StKilda to give away medical information of one of their former players, in fact i'd question whether it's even legal.
True, but I assume you could ask people (non doctors) whether they know of any issues, without getting the medical records.

Personally I hope the draft tampering sook goes to the Dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back