Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

One premiership in 50 years board ...

Why doesn't collingwood try and 'improve' from within with it's own youngsters and playing list, instead of 'trying to top' up to try and add to it's pathetic meagre premiership tally of the last 5/6 decades ...

i wish i could make this my sig.

Talk of Melbourne or any club for that matter getting medical info on a prospective player who is unwilling to even speak to them from an opposition club is hilarious.

Why don't they just ask his Mum?
She's going to give an as unbiased and accurate assessment as any of the other clubs.

Shit I'll bet you'll even expect a warranty. 20 games or 250 kicks which ever comes first.:D

I can't wait until draft night.

The AFL, clubs and the media have done a fantastic job of generating enormous interest in what was supposedly a very shallow draft.:thumbsu:

True, but I assume you could ask people (non doctors) whether they know of any issues, without getting the medical records.

Personally I hope the draft tampering sook goes to the Dees.

That would still be immoral - and in the end is still not a real medical report.

Also pull the other one on draft tampering. Refusing to pick up the telephone and give medicals to clubs he has absolutely no interest in joining is hardly draft tampering. He hasn't said no to any clubs, and he is under absolutely no obligations to talk to them or give them a medical. He is using his only recourse to get the club he wants to which given the restrictive nature of trading/drafting rules is fair enough. It's his career and future and he's using any means within the rules of the game to get where he wants to. You'd be foolish to say that because Luke Ball is saying nothing is somehow draft tampering. All other clubs still have the right to draft him, he's simply making it as risky as possible to do so (barring Collingwood his preferred destination).

Exactly, it would be an assumption. A professional organisation would not (or shouldn't anyway) just make an assumption based on the perception Collingwood has passed him for a medical. They wouldn't be doing their due dilligence if they didn't look at him personally. It would be an enormous risk to base such a big decision on the fact that they think Collingwood "probably" passed him on a medical and not even knowing any of the details. I just can't see a professional organisation doing this. This fact alone IMO is the biggest issue for any other club that wants to recruit Luke Ball. Collingwood is the only other club besides StKilda that knows the details and extent of his injury history and current condition.

What you are saying is DRAFT TAMPERING.

Taking your argument that all clubs need to do due diligence ie; medical assessments etc; before considering whether to pick Luke Ball in the ND - What does a club do if he refuses to allow this to happen.

An interesting thought:rolleyes:

It would be very immoral of StKilda to give away medical information of one of their former players, in fact i'd question whether it's even legal. It's usually a condition of most employees that any medical information you give them is confidential. I really get sick of people talking about Ball like he is a piece of meat who doesn't have his own rights and giving away medical information against his will I find outrageous. If any club got caught doing that without the express permission of the player I hope they get fuct coz the idea of that to me is just so wrong.
quote]

I love it....the club who is going behind closed doors in a dark room trying to draft tamper, gets all outraged at the thought that another club might also be behind closed doors trying to manipulate something.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

LOL after this unsavoury incident, Collingwood have no right to accuse Carlton or any other club of cheating or manipulating the system.

LOL after this unsavoury incident, Collingwood have no right to accuse Carlton or any other club of cheating or manipulating the system.

Why, what has Collingwood done? (Collingwood, not Luke Ball).

And don't worry mate, every club will always have the right to call Carlton cheats :thumbsu:

I doubt any club will pick him up without doing their due dilligence. No they can't have a medical done but I would think most clubs have spoken to St Kilda. The clubs are too smart these days to take a risk. Unless he picked up an injury on holiday then he should be ready to train.

In my opinion Essendon are barely better off than Melbourne. They made the finals but lost a lot of experience. Why is he such a good fit for Essendon? I think he best fits Brisbane. I hope anyone but Melbourne takes him.

Tend to agree with you there, Essendon seem a tad overrated atm and Lloyds loss will be felt.

What you are saying is DRAFT TAMPERING.

Taking your argument that all clubs need to do due diligence ie; medical assessments etc; before considering whether to pick Luke Ball in the ND - What does a club do if he refuses to allow this to happen.

An interesting thought:rolleyes:

No it's not. It isn't against the rules not to speak to a club, or give them medicals. It may be percieved that way but isn't against the rules or draft tampering to do this. Being made to give medicals or medical information against someones will is civil rights issue and Ball is well within his rights to refuse to give that information away if he chooses not to.

I love it....the club who is going behind closed doors in a dark room trying to draft tamper, gets all outraged at the thought that another club might also be behind closed doors trying to manipulate something.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

In what way has Ball or Collingwood draft tampered???

Ball is well within his rights not to talk to other clubs or give them medicals. Thats not outside of the rules. He also hasn't refused to be drafted by any clubs, or even nominated Collingwood as his preferred destination outside of trade week. Being made to give medicals against a persons will goes beyond footy or the draft - it's about civil rights. I can tell you if someone told me I had to do a medical against my will i'd tell them to get fuct. If someone gave away my medical information against my will i'd be furious and go after the pr!cks. This isn't about some minor manipulation, it's about a persons rights.

Equally Collingwood hasn't said anything regarding Ball besides we will consider him at pick 30 if he is available. In fact theres been no news about us even being in contact with him since trade week.

I don't see how anyone can spin that as draft tampering. Neither party has said anything at all. Its not against the rules not to speak to clubs if you choose not to, or to give medicals if you don't want to. Ball hasn't said he wont be drafted by any team, he hasn't nominated Collingwood, and Collingwood and Ball don't seem to have spoken since trade week. Silence is not draft tampering.

It's funny how all these people that are complaining about draft tampering have sioad nothing about Daniel Bradshaw.

He has been quoted as saying ' I don't want to play for carlton, I want to play for the Swans." He's even training with the Swans.

So if Luke Ball comes out and says I don't want to play for whoever, and started training with the Pies that would be OK??:confused::confused:

difference is that bradshaw has only applied for the pre-season draft rather than the national draft. he's training with sydney but available to all clubs just less likely to be selected because of age and associated salary demands.

It's funny how all these people that are complaining about draft tampering have sioad nothing about Daniel Bradshaw.

He has been quoted as saying ' I don't want to play for carlton, I want to play for the Swans." He's even training with the Swans.

So if Luke Ball comes out and says I don't want to play for whoever, and started training with the Pies that would be OK??:confused::confused:

I don't think Bradshaw has said anything like that since trade week though. He is allowed to say those things in trade week, if he said them after nominating for the draft it would be draft tampering. The difference is - and you're right it is somewhat hypocritical - is that Bradshaw is only wanted by one team it seems. Ball would be an attractive proposition for a number of teams and therefore has to tread more carefully - hence the silence coming from his direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much as I despise Colonwood, no club comes close to Carlton when it comes to cheating and manipulating the system.

True, but I assume you could ask people (non doctors) whether they know of any issues, without getting the medical records.

Personally I hope the draft tampering sook goes to the Dees.

I would like to see him go to Port with Pick 16. Freo might be dumb enough to take him with Pick 6. They are pretty good when it comes to the draft and trading.

In what way has Ball or Collingwood draft tampered???

Ball is well within his rights not to talk to other clubs or give them medicals. Thats not outside of the rules. He also hasn't refused to be drafted by any clubs, or even nominated Collingwood as his preferred destination outside of trade week. Being made to give medicals against a persons will goes beyond footy or the draft - it's about civil rights.

You seem to be mixed up between what Ball has to do and what he should do. You're right, it would be a breach of his civil rights if he were compelled to take a medical examination. But in saying that, you've effectively conceded that there is another reason that the AFL doesn't make refusal of an examination constitute draft tampering. It doesn't change the fact that if his motive is to influence where he is drafted to, it is in effect still draft tampering.
Obviously, his motive isn't up to AFL house to decide, and they can't compel him either way, but that doesn't change the fact that it is open for the public to draw inferences about what is actually going on.

I would like to see him go to Port with Pick 16. Freo might be dumb enough to take him with Pick 6. They are pretty good when it comes to the draft and trading.

Not sure how we will manage that with picks 4 & 20. We must be good if we are going to get 6 as well.
Get some new material, we've blitzed the last couple of drafts since we got rid of the idiots that used to give away our picks every year. Oh that's right you've got them in charge now.

difference is that bradshaw has only applied for the pre-season draft rather than the national draft. he's training with sydney but available to all clubs just less likely to be selected because of age and associated salary demands.

Rules are the same no matter which draft.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/bradshaw-to-join-the-swans/story-e6frexni-1225790907308

"It was a very difficult decision and one that I thought about long and hard but in the end I want to live in Sydney and want to play for the Swans,'' Bradshaw told The Sunday Telegraph.

``It has been a very difficult few weeks but I want to thank everyone for their support and also a special thanks to Carlton for its professionalism."

"But in the end I've decided to join the Swans and I look forward to continuing my career in Sydney.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/bradshaw-to-join-the-swans/story-e6frexni-1225790907308

We dont even need ball that bad. We have Pendlebury and swan, let him go to melbourne and struggle to win a game in 5 years

You seem to be mixed up between what Ball has to do and what he should do. You're right, it would be a breach of his civil rights if he were compelled to take a medical examination. But in saying that, you've effectively conceded that there is another reason that the AFL doesn't make refusal of an examination constitute draft tampering. It doesn't change the fact that if his motive is to influence where he is drafted to, it is in effect still draft tampering.
Obviously, his motive isn't up to AFL house to decide, and they can't compel him either way, but that doesn't change the fact that it is open for the public to draw inferences about what is actually going on.

But thats the point, it's within the rules of the draft not to speak to clubs or give them medicals. Even prospective draftees can refuse to speak to clubs or give them medicals if they choose not to. All Ball is doing is using any means he can to get to Collingwood within the rules of the draft. As it's within the rules of the draft it can't be construed as draft tampering. Just because it has an influence on where he is going does not make it draft tampering. He is under no obligation to talk to clubs or give them a medical for all the reasons i've already stated - nor should he have to, that notion is ridiculous. He hasn't said he wont go to clubs that select him, he hasn't said he'd only play for Collingwood, Collingwood hasn't even publicly commited themselves to drafting him if available at our pick. Any club still has the right to select him. All Ball has done is make it as risky a decision as possible, within the rules of the draft, for any other team to select him.

But thats the point, it's within the rules of the draft not to speak to clubs or give them medicals. Even prospective draftees can refuse to speak to clubs or give them medicals if they choose not to. All Ball is doing is using any means he can to get to Collingwood within the rules of the draft. As it's within the rules of the draft it can't be construed as draft tampering. Just because it has an influence on where he is going does not make it draft tampering. He is under no obligation to talk to clubs or give them a medical for all the reasons i've already stated - nor should he have to, that notion is ridiculous. He hasn't said he wont go to clubs that select him, he hasn't said he'd only play for Collingwood, Collingwood hasn't even publicly commited themselves to drafting him if available at our pick. Any club still has the right to select him. All Ball has done is make it as risky a decision as possible, within the rules of the draft, for any other team to select him.

Correct. But rules, like laws are put there for a reason. Ball is clearly going outside the intent of the rules.

Not sure how we will manage that with picks 4 & 20. We must be good if we are going to get 6 as well.
Get some new material, we've blitzed the last couple of drafts since we got rid of the idiots that used to give away our picks every year. Oh that's right you've got them in charge now.

Pure Gold!

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Ball nominates essendon and collingwood as his prefered destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back