Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

People do realize that once you go over .05 you don't automatically become a driving manic who destroys everything in their path.
If this was the case the limit would be much lower (which I actually think it should be).
He was .018 over, which would be about the equivalent of traveling 5khm over the speed limit.
It's very stupid and irresponsible but the chance of him killing someone as most people seem to be saying was not different than traveling just over the limit, which most people here are probably guilty of at some point.
Despite this, I still think the club should take further action as this is a poor look from a leader.
But you do realise that being just under 0.05 doesn't make you stone cold sober and completely unimpaired. It was chosen as the point at which people would be more prone to make a dangerous mistake. He was .018 over the point at which his driving would be considered dangerous, making it more dangerous again.

What is it exactly that you want
Lay it all out on the table

I want people to not drink and drive over the limit. Especially captains of AFL teams who are the biggest role models of all.

I want Hodge to be dealt with like any other player who gets caught drink driving. Not a nice little platform on channel 7 to explain himself away making it look ok instead of sending the message to people not to do it. Which he didn't say once. All about saving face. Protected species by the AFL, protected species by the media.

Why are you off the cat board - oh that's right it's a hawk thread
Well, why are you off the Poos+Wees board, pray tell? :rolleyes:

Oh, BTW this is a main board thread :p

Are you one of those posters who can dish it out, but can't hack it when it's served back? ;) :D

No! I don't know anyone who has been caught drink driving, but perhaps that's because all of my friends have kids + wouldn't drink + drive because it's utterly irresponsible.
I've often said to friends who have over-indulged to either stay the night, or catch a taxi. I have on one occasion taken someone's car keys so they couldn't drive. My friends + I make the effort to pick friends up if they're having dinner at someone's home + they catch taxis home. It doesn't take much effort to ensure the safety of a friend. If people don't stand up when their friends are over-refreshed, then they aren't very good friends IMO.

Well aren't you just the pompous legend... Good on you for being responsible! that's the positive in what seems like an otherwise boring group of circle jerking losers.

Well, why are you off the Poos+Wees board, pray tell? :rolleyes:

Oh, BTW this is a main board thread :p

Are you one of those posters who can dish it out, but can't hack it when it's served back? ;) :D
HK I've seen her on the GD board. Typical Hawfie. Precious!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well aren't you just the pompous legend... Good on you for being responsible! that's the positive in what seems like an otherwise boring group of circle jerking losers.
How dare he do the right thing. I get it, people make mistakes, but criticising someone for not making mistakes? C'mon, is defending your club really worth that kind of nonsense?

Indeed, but there has always been then underlying code with the AFL and its aligned clubs to punish players in-game when they break the law, as they are often seen as role models.

Whilst I agree with you, it didn't stop the AFL and media wanting to add an additional punishment to Ben Cousins.

Tell me what's the difference between drug driving and driving under the influence of alcohol?

Both mess with your perception,
Both are an addictive substance,
Both are illegal,
Both Captains of their club thus both role models.

I know people won't look at it the same but it should. He'll get off due to the media and their fellatio of anything vic-centric.
If Luke Hodge was an Eagles or Fremantle captain, I know exactly what Slobbo would be saying right now.

"You just can't expect to drink, drive and get away with it. He should be dealt by the law outside of the game, and made an example inside of the game. We just can't have kids thinking this is alright".

Instead he is defending Hodge because of who and where he represents.
#DoubleStandards
Or if he was a Swans, Giants, Lions, Suns, Crows, Power, Geelong or any non-$$$ earning Melbourne team captain.

Why wasnt Stevie J suspended for doing 78 kph over the limit ?

or Dawson Simpson who was 0.1 ? a lousy $2000 fine ?
Why do Poos+Wees fans always have to cite Geelong players FFS? Other clubs players break the law too! :p :D

But you do realise that being just under 0.05 doesn't make you stone cold sober and completely unimpaired. It was chosen as the point at which people would be more prone to make a dangerous mistake. He was .018 over the point at which his driving would be considered dangerous, making it more dangerous again.
Yes, 0.03 would actually be far safer as anything over that that is when impairment starts, it gets slightly worse until you hit 0.08, when impairment has became serious enough to really effect you.
The point 0.05 number chosen as the limit to appease people who wish to drink. Country's like sweeeen have it 0.02 which is a lead we should be following.

HK I've seen her on the GD board. Typical Hawfie. Precious!
So it's OK for to be off the Poos+Wees board, but because I'm a Geelong Cats supporter, I must stay in my box? lol Consequently, it's OK for Hodge to be over the limit, but it's not OK for oppo team players to DUI lol I'm finding the Poos+Wees fans lack of ability to comprehend that Hodge broke the law just astounding! But considering which team it is, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised :p :D

*Just Jokes*

Some would not be happy even if Luke got week day detention and was only allowed out to play on weekends, having to train through the week with armed robbers, serial killers and car thieves :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back