Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Laid out what the best 24 could look like at the start of the 2026 season by age, disregarding future draftees of course.

In this scenario I see Hobbs being traded and Stringer retiring. Hayes a smokey if Reid can't get stronger. Swap either Menzie/J.Davey. Not sure what to do with Wright.

Otherwise I feel like our spine would be pretty set.

View attachment 2085210

I don’t mind that team except for the full forward line.
Davey Jones and Menzie is barely AFL standard and opposition defenders would have a picnic against them

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What we really need is for Scott to go berserk and cull about 10 players from the list like he did at North in 2016 - he got rid of some decent players too - Harvey, Dal Santo, Petrie, Wells to name a few…
We’ve let Heppell go and have a heap of players coming out of contract: Jones, JDavey, Baldwin, Stringer, Guelfi, Kelly, Setterfield, Hind, Goldy & Weid

I’d keep Jones, JDavey & Baldwin (Reid insurance), try get something for Sttinger and Guelfi and delist the rest

Some may say this is drastic but we need to make some drastic changes, not go for short term bandaid solutions that paper over the cracks in our list..

What we really need is for Scott to go berserk and cull about 10 players from the list like he did at North in 2016 - he got rid of some decent players too - Harvey, Dal Santo, Petrie, Wells to name a few…
We’ve let Heppell go and have a heap of players coming out of contract: Jones, JDavey, Baldwin, Stringer, Guelfi, Kelly, Setterfield, Hind, Goldy & Weid

I’d keep Jones, JDavey & Baldwin (Reid insurance), try get something for Sttinger and Guelfi and delist the rest

Some may say this is drastic but we need to make some drastic changes, not go for short term bandaid solutions that paper over the cracks in our list..

Whilst I agree with the sentiment. I also look at norf since that time. They’ve been in the wilderness and arguably more of a s**t show than us.
This board would implode if we did that and finished bottom two next year and a few years thereafter.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment. I also look at norf since that time. They’ve been in the wilderness and arguably more of a s**t show than us.
This board would implode if we did that and finished bottom two next year and a few years thereafter.
I don’t think the loss of Stringer and a bunch of fringe 22/depth players is going to make us bottom two level bad.

Last edited:
I don’t think the loss of Stringer and a bunch of fringe 22/depth players is going to make us bottom two level bad.
Think we still have enough on the list not to fall that far back. I suspect we will be sort of the same unless someone stands up at FF and the small forwards find another gear.

Need that elite
Laid out what the best 23 could look like in the 2026 season by age, disregarding future draftees of course.

In this scenario I see Stringer retiring. Hayes a smokey if Reid can't get his body right. It's a swap between Menzie/Davey.

Feel like our spine would be pretty much set.

View attachment 2085257
Lacking match winners. Who is dominating or scaring ops from that team.

Gresham, menzie and tsatas need to be replaced by stars. Can be done via trade, free agency or draft. As long as 25 or younger.

Laid out what the best 23 could look like in the 2026 season by age, disregarding future draftees of course.

In this scenario I see Stringer retiring. Hayes a smokey if Reid can't get his body right. It's a swap between Menzie/Davey.

Feel like our spine would be pretty much set.

View attachment 2085257
It will be fascinating to see where jones is in 2026. I struggle to see him at ff, but I don’t have a more likely alternative. Menzie cops a lot on this board but is likely to become afl standard I think. But will he be good enough to hold on to? I kind of doubt it. Another sour note for me is how young caddy is. We won’t see him really come into his own until at least 2028. I can’t help thinking his youthful inconsistency over the next few years will hold us back

It will be fascinating to see where jones is in 2026. I struggle to see him at ff, but I don’t have a more likely alternative. Menzie cops a lot on this board but is likely to become afl standard I think. But will he be good enough to hold on to? I kind of doubt it. Another sour note for me is how young caddy is. We won’t see him really come into his own until at least 2028. I can’t help thinking his youthful inconsistency over the next few years will hold us back
I don't see Jones as a FF, a wingman or utility. Maybe mitch brown type at best with caddy deep if permanent forward.

Him and cox fighting for same tall utility/ 1 wing spot I think. Could play both and go light on for talls but but then either would need to pinch hit in the ruck and play 1 ruck.

Are you actually serious?

I don't see Jones as a FF, a wingman or utility. Maybe mitch brown type at best with caddy deep if permanent forward.

Him and cox fighting for same tall utility/ 1 wing spot I think. Could play both and go light on for talls but but then either would need to pinch hit in the ruck and play 1 ruck.

I think the best Jones comp is Will Hoskin Elliot. Jones is a touch taller but I think they have similar games.

Not the fastest but fast enough. Good endurance athletes. Can take a mark especially from the side but struggle in contested situations

Jones is pretty raw at the wing/HB parts of the wing role but his extra height and marking presence around the ground has been huge and he will get so much better at the positioning part.

Don’t think Cox has looked that good on the wing anyway. Much better as a KPP for me. Needs to bulk up some to play there

I think the best Jones comp is Will Hoskin Elliot. Jones is a touch taller but I think they have similar games.

Not the fastest but fast enough. Good endurance athletes. Can take a mark especially from the side but struggle in contested situations

Jones is pretty raw at the wing/HB parts of the wing role but his extra height and marking presence around the ground has been huge and he will get so much better at the positioning part.

Don’t think Cox has looked that good on the wing anyway. Much better as a KPP for me. Needs to bulk up some to play there
Think Cox has shown glimpses on wing but Jones more complete currently.

Cox biggest weakness is his meekness and looked really bad playing or starting key position. Interesting seems to attack the contest more when starting on the wing or going into the ruck. actually competes alright for a skinny pinch hit ruckman

Not me! Bring me those juicy early picks and a brand new team.

What are we worried about, winning 10-12 games a year is painful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 26 Next season

B- Ridley McKay McGrath
HB- Redman Reid Roberts
C- Duursma Parish Martin
HF- Perkins Caddy Gresham
F- Langford Wright Kako
FOLL- Bryan Merrett Caldwell
I/C- Durham, Tsatsas, Stringer, El-Hawali
Sub- Hobbs

Emerg- Guelfi, Jones, Cox

Best 26 Next season

B- Ridley McKay McGrath
HB- Redman Reid Roberts
C- Duursma Parish Martin
HF- Perkins Caddy Gresham
F- Langford Wright Kako
FOLL- Bryan Merrett Caldwell
I/C- Durham, Tsatsas, Stringer, El-Hawali
Sub- Hobbs

Emerg- Guelfi, Jones, Cox

That's pretty good, i'd also have Wanganeen or Davey in, just because i think we should be in rebuild mode and playing more runners. I think we need a Sam Mitchell type midfield ball winner(Hobbs was looking like that for a while), as well and we need better fitness and strength conditioning, seems pretty poor currently, in my opinion.

They really need to overhaul the list and just take a common sense approach to list spots and requirements.

If you're list management, how could you be watching this performance (and half of our season) and think - we NEED to retain most of these players. How on earth would you come to that conclusion?

My only conclusion is that there should be massive change during the off season, but something tells me I'll be disappointed.

If you're list management, how could you be watching this performance (and half of our season) and think - we NEED to retain most these players. How on earth would you come to that conclusion?
they're not watching, they see the stats and their eyes light up

Best side for 2026 for me
McGrath McKay Ridley
Redman Reid Martin
Roberts Merrett duursma
Perkins Jones Richards(trade in)
Langford Caddy Kako
Bryan Caldwell Durham

Bench - Draper Tsatsas El Hawli Shiel

I’d also look at jack carroll from Carlton

Best side for 2026 for me
McGrath McKay Ridley