Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

A rough draft of what I think Brad sends out round 1 2025.

Kinda assuming Shiel moves on to another club. Structurally a small forward such as Kako makes sense over Stringer/Wright but 🤷🏻‍♂️

B McGrath - McKay - Ridley
HB Redman - Reid - Roberts
C Duursma - Durham - Jones
HF Martin - Wright - Gresham
F Stringer - Caddy - Langford
R Draper - Merrett - Caldwell
Int. Parish - Cox - Hobbs - Bryan
Sub Perkins

Lots of discussion on Menzie and his contract but it highlights an issue with the list. Menzie and Laverde get games because they go at the contest 100%. Has been the same for Kelly in the past. Problem we have is we need to get past these guy's but in general we are a soft side so it has been hard to get past them.
If the Davey boys showed as much effort and attacked the football as much as Menzie then maybe he does not get another year.

Speaks volumes of where the list is at when there's no all australians selected and one guy who made the squad who might be a bit unlucky.
That is my argument with people who want to just line up the low hanging fruit but do not realise the top end is an issue as well. How many stood with me two years ago when
I said trade Parish for a top 10 pick?

rumply posted this elsewhere but I think some of the other stuff Sanderson said is interesting around building our endurance and resilience, within games and across seasons. He mentioned anxiety as being a potential issue.

Also identified some interesting questions about how the list is set up, leadership in terms of players who support Merrett to lead us towards mental toughness and goal alignment.

And then some questions about talent development which is interesting too.

I think his general observations are right although some of the actual list management stuff was suggesting things we had already done, so would have been good to acknowledge that and note whether it needs strengthening or just a waiting game.

In particular deficiencies in terms of more medium/small forward power (including mids that go forward or whatever), we’ve been too tall at times this year but also need another key forward (he mentions Wright but doesn’t mention Caddy?). And then also talking about whether our defence needs overhauling, but doesn’t mention what we’ve actually got there already.

I’d like to hear his take on what our strengths are and whether they’re actually a good fit… Is it injuries and such, do we need depth or a better injury prevention program?

Speaks volumes of where the list is at when there's no all australians selected and one guy who made the squad who might be a bit unlucky.
Yeah it is depressing every year when we struggle to even get players in the AA squad.
There are players in our team that i was hoping to be AA by now. Redman (2023 AA Squad), Langford (2023 AA Squad) and Ridley (2020 AA Squad). It doesn't take much to turn it around. If you look at some of the names this season and there are plenty that you wouldn't have imagined getting in the AA team.
In the end the reason our guys don't get in this team is because of their inconsistency's.
All you need is your core players to lift at the same time and who knows what the future holds.

That is my argument with people who want to just line up the low hanging fruit but do not realise the top end is an issue as well. How many stood with me two years ago when
I said trade Parish for a top 10 pick?

You certainly weren't alone there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it is depressing every year when we struggle to even get players in the AA squad.
There are players in our team that i was hoping to be AA by now. Redman (2023 AA Squad), Langford (2023 AA Squad) and Ridley (2020 AA Squad). It doesn't take much to turn it around. If you look at some of the names this season and there are plenty that you wouldn't have imagined getting in the AA team.
In the end the reason our guys don't get in this team is because of their inconsistency's.
All you need is your core players to lift at the same time and who knows what the future holds.
Decent players who had a good year rather than guys consistently shooting the lights out. When that’s your upper echelon it’s a sign the list is not great

Decent players who had a good year rather than guys consistently shooting the lights out. When that’s your upper echelon it’s a sign the list is not great
I guess you can look at it many ways. We have had plenty of guys make the All Australian team after leaving Essendon.
Saad, Ryder, Hibberd all won it in the 1st years at new clubs from memory. Then you have guys like Richards and Hoili also got AA who left Essendon.

Anyone else find it weird how our players are somehow smaller than other teams. Like Archie Roberts, Jye Caldwell, Matt Guelfi and Ben Hobbs are all roughly the same height as players like Zach Guthrie and Lawson Humphries. Yet I'd rarely expect our guys to be as aerially competitive as the Geelong guys are consistently.

What is that? Limb length? Running capability so they're are closing the distance more and jumping from closer in? Pressure on the ball carrier so they can read the drop zone better?

Anyone else find it weird how our players are somehow smaller than other teams. Like Archie Roberts, Jye Caldwell, Matt Guelfi and Ben Hobbs are all roughly the same height as players like Zach Guthrie and Lawson Humphries. Yet I'd rarely expect our guys to be as aerially competitive as the Geelong guys are consistently.

What is that? Limb length? Running capability so they're are closing the distance more and jumping from closer in? Pressure on the ball carrier so they can read the drop zone better?

Guelfi is decent overhead for his size, so is Durham. Probably a little athleticism, a little read of the play?

Ridley for example; is tall, long-limbed, athletic and has a very good read of the ball in flight = elite overhead mark.

So moving from backline to forwardline I want. In brackets I have included who on our list could potentially be these players right now if we forgot about talent and just put players in their right roles.

1x Lockdown KPD (McKay)
2x Intercepting players (Reid and Ridley)
1x Unaccountable offensive kicker. (Redman)
1x Lockdown small defender (McGrath)
1x Lockdown mid sized defender (???)

1x Fulltime Ruck (Bryan)
1x Clearance midfielder (Caldwell)
1x Burst midfielder (Durham)
1x Big bodied defensive midfielder (Setterfield or ??? if he is delisted)
2x Gut running wingers with foot skills (Martin and Duursma)

1x Crash packs/Second Ruck (Draper)
1x Push up the ground outlet KPF (Caddy)
1x Mobile third tall (Langford)
1x High half forward who pushes up the ground (Gresham)
2x Pressure forwards (Davey Jr and Guelfi)

On the Interchange I want

2x Midfielders (Merrett and Tsatas)
1x Backline halfback (Roberts)
1x High half forward/wing (Perkins)

Sub: 1x player with immediate attribute (speed/goal kicking/intercept marking/etc.)

(From who is left the sub would most likely be El-Hawli, Stringer, Shiel or Jones)

Pretty grim and we have nobody to play that lockdown role on mid sized players at all and no big bodied defensive focused midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back