Expansion Making State of Origin work

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Just because he was born in SA?
FTR - Goodes represented Sth Australia in soccer in Under 12 then Under 14 rep level. But - he never played any competitive Australian Football at all in Sth Australia.
Goodes moved to Mildura, Victoria at aged 11, and gave up soccer due to the constant racial abuse he copped, and first took up our game. He then moved to Horsham with his family and lived their until drafted by Sydney. He still holds a swag of athletic records at the Horsham SC and, of course, stood out in junior footy then the Ballarat Rebels (but still lived in Horsham).

So, by SOO rules, he's clearly Victorian.

Sure. I'm not saying he shouldn't have played for Victoria. Just pointing out that even a slight change in the rules could have changed things quite a bit. How much more will it vary over time?

An idea:

First Division:
1st ranked team to play the winner of the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams.

Second Division:
4th ranked team to play the winner of the 5th and 6th ranked teams.

If you win the first division, you are the 1st ranked team for the next season. If you lose the 2nd and 3rd team playoff, you will become the 4th ranked team for the next season, with them to be replaced by the winner of the second division. The first playoffs 1/3 into the season, second playoffs 2/3 into the season.

There would have to be a play-off between the loser of 2-3 and the winner of division 2 for there to be any fairness in that idea, since the loser of 2-3 would have played much stronger opposition than div 2 winner.

Play it in the pre-season and i like it :thumbsu: (but like mine better :p)

"I HAVE A DREAM" - GARRY LYON

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/thestars/index.php/heraldsun/comments/i_have_a_dream

Lyon's view is exactly the same as my view. The excitement factor and the true meaning of playing for passion. I know you guys don't like it that much but there seems to be increasing support.

If you are so supportive of this why is it that you can't answer a simple question. Why wouldn't you support an all aboriginal team against another racially based team??????? I'm sure you will ignore this question as I'm yet to meet one supporter of this concept who will even attempt to answer it!

If you are so supportive of this why is it that you can't answer a simple question. Why wouldn't you support an all aboriginal team against another racially based team??????? I'm sure you will ignore this question as I'm yet to meet one supporter of this concept who will even attempt to answer it!

They refuse to answer because it means reflecting upon a few inconvenient truths about themselves.

In truth, instead of wanting to see Aborigines play alongside them, they want to see Aborigines play against them. When the question is limited to Aborigines, they can keep themselves in denial with excuses about "respecting 40,000 of culture etc" When it is extended to include other races, this excuse is difficult to hold and it becomes more obvious about where they see Aborigines in relation to themselves.

They refuse to answer because it means reflecting upon a few inconvenient truths about themselves.

In truth, instead of wanting to see Aborigines play alongside them, they want to see Aborigines play against them. When the question is limited to Aborigines, they can keep themselves in denial with excuses about "respecting 40,000 of culture etc" When it is extended to include other races, this excuse is difficult to hold and it becomes more obvious about where they see Aborigines in relation to themselves.

are you saying they see aboriginals as beneath them? if so, im not sure I agree. I think their position has more to do with self loathing and misplaced guilt. I don't believe they look down on aboriginals as such although I find their viewpoint to be extremly patronising towards them.

So the AFL players from NT,Qld, NSW, ACT and TAS play even more games to risk injury? Don't think St Kilda, or Richmond or any club with talent from one of those states would be happy with that.

Also a combined state league side would get humiliated playing against the best from the AFL, as their representatives would not even be in the best 300 in the country - it would be the best 22 in the country v's a team of players ranked anywhere from 300 - 670. As such you couldn't select an AA from that match unless you just named the AFL team the AA side.

Sorry, that may have worked pre 1986 (draft) but not now.

You shouldn't be thinking humiliation here, this is a challenge. Your assumption that none of the state league players are up to this level of football is somewhat degrading. These players are excellent players in their own right.

Maybe we should Ask the AFL if Neil Craig and Mark Williams can select any current SANFL player in their weekly line up. However I think that question has already been categorically answered as both the Crows and Power lost player concessions well before the agreed date had expired.

Most of the draftee's are kids. Sure they have talent, but quite a few get dropped off the lists before even playing an AFL game. Many are still coming on through league reserve. The idea here is to spread the load amongst clubs from Victoria and outside Victoria and maybe unearth some players that have been missed in the draft process.

Also let's keep the presure on the AFL to ensure that they get the selection procedures right. Of course they are not going to want to lose to a combined state league side, but that's what will keep it an honest competition between those wanting to prove they are on top against those who believe they have been overlooked.

The AFL is already an interstate competition so it really does not need another one plastered on top of it, but playing against a state league team will increase the interest in interstate matches at League level. The minor states make up only a small proportion of AFL players at any rate, and of those fewer will likely make a combined league side, so only the elite players such as Andy McLeod and Matty Stokes will probably represent their state (NT) and then be selected in the combined league team. Even with players like Stokes and McLeod, or even one or two others of equal abilities, I would not expect them to have enough clout to knock over a SANFL state side, but it would certainly close the gap.

All this aside though, the current format of Victoria Vs the rest is indefensible as you are denying more than half the players the right to represent their home state.

As for injuries? Adelaide Crows virtually lent their entire back line for the contest. Which as everybody outside of this state likes to remind us is their strength. But here you can clearly see that a SANFL side regardless whether it plays at AFL level or SANFL level is no one man band.

are you saying they see aboriginals as beneath them? if so, im not sure I agree. I think their position has more to do with self loathing and misplaced guilt. I don't believe they look down on aboriginals as such although I find their viewpoint to be extremly patronising towards them.

It was shown in psychological experinments that as soon as you categorise people into different groups, people will start discriminating in favour of their group. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_groups_paradigm

I agree with what you mean about patronising as well. If would be like if we migrated to the US and the Americans insisted with play for Australian teams and run around saying things like "crikey." Like Steve Irwin, you could use it to your advantage; however, if you ever wanted to take a meaningful role in American society it would be a lag around your ankle.

Obama is a good example of these various issues playing themselves out. The only reason why Obama is in the running to become president is because he defines himself as American first and foremost. Those who want to deny his prospects keep trying to make the colour of his skin more significant than his American credentials.

If we speak hypothetically, if he played in an all-Kenyan soccer team and subsequently gave a rendition of Kenyan tribal songs, he would have no chance at all. Likewise, if he played in an all-African gridiron team and gave some performances of traditional African dances, again, he would have no electoral prospects in any shape or form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Making State of Origin work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back