Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-a-player-revolt/story-e6freck3-1226499926258

"In an exclusive book extract from Malthouse: A Football Life, to be released this week, it is revealed the Magpies' 2010 premiership coach was approached by a senior player who said several of his colleagues were prepared to sign a petition to have him stay on."

Does this raise questions about respect among the playing group for Buckley in 2012 and beyond?

do you blame the players, a coach automatically told to piss off by the ceo who wants to put into place a pleb after winning a premiership. buckley is an ok coach but his calibre to mick is far below. mick rebuilt the club twice and got them into 4 gfs in his stint.

still early to stay but i reckon malthouse shouldve stayed on until he felt it was time to close the door on his career.

"Mick was desperate not to let that happen. "They talked some more, and in the end it was agreed that everyone was better off concentrating solely on playing good football."

Buckley, in 2012, gets Collingwood to within a few goals of a Grand Final. You don't perform anywhere near that quality in AFL level, unless the team is united.

"Mick was desperate not to let that happen. "They talked some more, and in the end it was agreed that everyone was better off concentrating solely on playing good football."

Buckley, in 2012, gets Collingwood to within a few goals of a Grand Final. You don't perform anywhere near that quality in AFL level, unless the team is united.

Or if you have the best team in the comp and underperform with an inferior coach.

Very believable IMO, probably the truth being stretched to the limit though for the better good (sales) but not that difficult to imagine he'd have close ties to some players and they to him that wouldn't like the transition.

I still smile when I think how the magnificent Collingwood machine - which appeared to be on the verge of a genuine era of dominance - was wrecked by poor little North offering Nathan Buckley a coaching gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still smile when I think how the magnificent Collingwood machine - which appeared to be on the verge of a genuine era of dominance - was wrecked by poor little North offering Nathan Buckley a coaching gig.

I like the way North Melbourne really try to make themselves significant at every opportunity.

What a heap of crap. The Malthouse clan just want to keep their names in the headlines and to try and destabilise the Pies, just like the Wayne Carey comments earlier this year - sorry guys, it will not work.

Remember Mick saying that he would never coach against "his boys" - hhhmmm... I wonder if Christi has included that in her book - I doubt it.

The book will be available by Christmas at all $2 book shops around the country.

Watching Collingwood slide under Buckley is great to see and must be tearing at Eddie's mind bigtime. Eddie wanted it all and is going to end up with nothing :thumbsu:
Hmmmmm.....is it Collingwood or Carlton who slid since Buckley came on board? No worries you've got the messiah now, he'll right the ship all by himself. He's a great man you know, it says so in his book....that he wrote.

Or if you have the best team in the comp and underperform with an inferior coach.

Okay, ill bite, our best inside midfielder did his ACL, our best defensive forward and our best crumbing forward both them their ACLs prior to round 1, our two best KPD struggled to stay on the park in the first 3-4 months, our best midfielder and one of the best in the AFL, broke his leg and was out for 6 weeks half way through and the other elite midfielder also missed a month or so this year. Happy? Or we still should've won it?

do you blame the players, a coach automatically told to piss off by the ceo who wants to put into place a pleb after winning a premiership. buckley is an ok coach but his calibre to mick is far below. mick rebuilt the club twice and got them into 4 gfs in his stint.

still early to stay but i reckon malthouse shouldve stayed on until he felt it was time to close the door on his career.

3+ years notice = "automatically told to piss off" ?? o_O

It's just one of those fantastic sliding doors moments that has added an extra element to the AFL's biggest rivalry. Without North, McGuire wouldn't have jumped at shadows and Buckley probably wouldn't be Collingwood coach in 2012 and Malthouse wouldn't be Carlton coach in 2013.

Does Malthouse know that, by the way? Does he remember he's coaching a team next year and there's some trade period going down at the moment? Or does he need to visit every two-buck town in Australia plugging his book? Can't wait to read it either. Should be an unbiased and objective insight into one of the great coaching minds. A rational man, who can identify his own faults and misgivings, recounting his football journey, warts and all.

Lol. Read that with a straight face. The revisionism will be unreal.

"And as I walked onto the Etihad turf ready to inspire my legion of foot soldiers for a combative quarter of football, my path became intertwined with that intrepid, but fiery, small forward for St. Kilda. I politely doffed my cap and inquired into the health of his private life. As I bid him adieu I heard him utter an insult that doesn't bear repeating and came completely unprovoked and out-of-the-blue. Nevertheless, I refocused my energy to my playing group and soldiered on gamely."

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back