Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for highlighting my argument. I'm saying that the players you have mentioned, plus others, have gone backwards under Buckley.

LOL you're not a troll whatsoever.

Dane Swan finished in the top 5 of this year's Brownlow, despite missing 5 games.

Nick Maxwell finished in the top 5 for our Best and Fairest a few weeks ago and Harry O'Brien struggled when we had half of our backline out at the start of the year, but came into form when the likes of Reid, Tarrant and Brown came back, and the defence stabilised around him.

Great argument buddy, keep it up.

O'Brien was just as bad in 2011, Maxwell was much better this year and Swan was only slightly down if at all.

With Reid, Tarrant and Brown all missing games early on, Harry O was forced to play on some bigger bodies, and struggled, rightly so too, considering he is much more suited to small forwards, and always seems to perform well against some of the best small forwards in the game. He started improving massively when the bigger bodies came back around him.

Nick Maxwell finished up quite high in our Best and Fairest this season.

Swanny finishes 5 votes off first in the Brownlow, after missing 5 games this season, yet Buckley is a terrible coach because these blokes have gone backwards, can you believe it? Bring back Malthouse!

Come on Off Tap, whats your response? Anthony Rocca retired in 2009 because he doesn't like Buckley? Buckley is at fault for global warming? What a twat.

With Reid, Tarrant and Brown all missing games early on, Harry O was forced to play on some bigger bodies, and struggled, rightly so too, considering he is much more suited to small forwards, and always seems to perform well against some of the best small forwards in the game. He started improving massively when the bigger bodies came back around him.

True that Harry was better later in the year, was probably our best in the prelim. We did have some players down, but a lot of them had injury interrupted seasons. I wonder if we can give Buckley credit for Beams outstanding year?

KAPOW! Beat 4 interstate teams, plus Doggies.

I'd be careful about being a smart arse with those types of numbers.

It puts us comfortably mid table in members ships. Reckon we'll overtake the Dees, Port and Saints this year too. Then we'll be standard middle sized club by membership. Happy with that.

If there is any truth to players holding any allegiances to Mick or grudges toward Buckley, they can pop their heads up and get the Michael Corleone treatment. We're cleaning out the Augean Stables of any dross.

You know you're doing bad when a club as crap as Melbourne, have more members than you.

Bloody hell topics like this remind me how much Collingwood derangement syndrome there is in society.

Hate?

LMFAO how do you manage to avoid obstacles sunshine?

He's so self obsessed he derailed his own chance at a back to back flag so he could tear into the club on national TV, whilst it was annoying at the time looking back on it from the point of view of an independent buyer he made himself look like an absolute and utter tool.

He looks even more infantile with his self righteous posturing since, I have 5 year old grand nephews that display more maturity.

Hate???

No try hilarity, he's a perfect fit for Carlton. Self obsessed and focussed on revenge.

Carlton - the all new Collingwood Lite, all the bells and whistles of a premiership team without the players LOL LOL LOL

Don't let the door bang your heels on the way out.
You are a bitter, bitter thing. Mick doesn't give a **** what you, or your fellow supporters think, yet it is very clear his turning his back on your club has struck a nerve. If it hadn't, you wouldn't be on here talking him down. I can't think of any other reason why you would even give a **** what Malthouse is up to. Get over him, because he is not going to give you & your type a thought at all.

FWIW, your constant "LOLs" make it very clear you must be a giggly little schoolgirl, who spends half your life talking to your giggly girlfriends on FB.

If you are talking about the 10 year rule, that's just revisionism.

North picked up 3 players under that rule in 1973, Rantall, Davis and Wade.

It took them until 1975 to win their first flag, by which time Wade was 33 and the other two were 32.Well past their prime.

Your statement overlooks the fact that North had players of the quality of Dench, Blight, Greig, Cable, Schimmlbusch, Crosswell, Kekovich, Henshaw, etc in that 75 side.

And by the time the 1977 flag came around, none of the 3 "10 year" players remained.

And it wasn't a "loophole" in any case, it was a rule. Shortlived, but a rule nevertheless.

This is exactly what I was highlighting.

It's easy to say one thing without knowing the facts and make glib remarks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are a bitter, bitter thing. Mick doesn't give a **** what you, or your fellow supporters think, yet it is very clear his turning his back on your club has struck a nerve. If it hadn't, you wouldn't be on here talking him down. I can't think of any other reason why you would even give a **** what Malthouse is up to. Get over him, because he is not going to give you & your type a thought at all.

FWIW, your constant "LOLs" make it very clear you must be a giggly little schoolgirl, who spends half your life talking to your giggly girlfriends on FB.
Oh dear it doesn't matter how many times you say its so, it doesn't make it so sunshine.

Don't have facebook and I'm a 58 yo sub-contractor.

Enjoy our leftovers sunshine.

This really is a sad turn of events if you look at it in the cool light of day. Malthouse coaches Collingwood to a flag, its first in 20 years, and really he should have been revered as a Collingwood club legend forever thereafter. Not saying anyone is to blame, but it has turned into this...Collingwood vs Malthouse. Malthouse telling the public inhouse secrets, Pie fans saying they're glad he's gone, MaGuire putting in his two cents worth, it's just never ending, like a day time soap. What could have been happily ever after has turned into Days of our Lives. And I suspect it's about to get even nastier next year before the Collingwood/Carlton game. Its great for the papers and the footballing media, but quite sad if you think about it...for Collingwood and Malthouse.

Most of the Pies fans are happy for him to coach again. Really don't care what or where he does it.
Many have taken exception to the way he played the martyr on a few occasions. If he didn't like the plan, he didn't have to sign. If he didn't sign he may well have been shown the door. Who knows? Certainly not us!

This really is a sad turn of events if you look at it in the cool light of day. Malthouse coaches Collingwood to a flag, its first in 20 years, and really he should have been revered as a Collingwood club legend forever thereafter. Not saying anyone is to blame, but it has turned into this...Collingwood vs Malthouse. Malthouse telling the public inhouse secrets, Pie fans saying they're glad he's gone, MaGuire putting in his two cents worth, it's just never ending, like a day time soap. What could have been happily ever after has turned into Days of our Lives. And I suspect it's about to get even nastier next year before the Collingwood/Carlton game. Its great for the papers and the footballing media, but quite sad if you think about it...for Collingwood and Malthouse.

It is a bit sad but like Matthews before him he knows the rules. Once out of a club you are now the enemy. How many coaches did he dismiss in finals when he perceived their eye was on another ball due to them going to leave? Every one of them. But Collingwood let him coach on for two years knowing his stance on that. Incredible.
Sadly doesn't surprise me of rumours he teed up the job mid 2011. Despite his fairy take book soon to be released.

We will enjoy your most successful coach in the last half century no doubt :thumbsu:

A successful coach is someone who got us a premiership within 3 years, not within a dozen years at the helm and a decade of realising you need a ruckman to win a flag. He'll probably need to coach til he's close to century to win a flag for the Blues, Leigh Matthews would get you there a bit quicker.

I think you will find that Mick did avert a player revolt at Collingwood. However he appears to have misread the players petition, as the players were calling for him to go and not to consider staying on for a moment longer.

The difference between a "revolt" and a strongly worded petition is pretty huge

We had a petition at work once, to bring back full size disposable cups for water/coffee. Those little shot-glass sized cups are just silly. I was a bit miffed about it all, but I wasn't ready to burn down any buildings

Is Malthouse still coaching us? Looks like he's doing his all to motivate the players and band them behind Buckley.

Not quite sure his new employers would be happy about his focus. Then again they probably don't get it. The official president is probably not quite switched on enough to realise and the unofficial president, or the previous offical presidents official wife, probably doesn't understand and the board are too busy working out the heck they ended up with more members when they were trying to reduce numbers.

I'm looking forward to this coming season!

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back