Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure about what anyone else has commented on during this thread but I've always thought that the Pies have the best list.

10 All Australians, 1 Brownlow, 1 Norm Smith, mulitple Rising Star nom's, RU Coleman. Your list compares well to everyone else since 2009.

The problem this year was players preferring to play for MM over Buckley.

West Coast played a Prelim in 2011, but failed to make the top 4 in 2012. I'm going to go ahead and assume this slide was caused by a rift forming between Worsfold and the players.

I don't think a Brad Scott coached North ever beat a Malthouse coached Collingwood.

Yet we easily acciounted for the Buckley-led Pies.

As for finals coaching records, Buckley's isn't exacty impressive either.

North pulling the strings. AFL powerhouse.

You got 2 flags in the 70s owing to a loophole and got 2 flags due to a once in a lifetime player who happened to play for your side.

otherwise you are quite a shit club when you think about it...

you had to change your name to get members but still have membership numbers less than expansion clubs.

AMIDOINITRITE north melbourne kangaroos fans?

stop making a bad name for north supporters

I still smile when I think how the magnificent Collingwood machine - which appeared to be on the verge of a genuine era of dominance - was wrecked by poor little North offering Nathan Buckley a coaching gig.

I'd be looking around for amusements too after Carey screwed, well, do I need to go on?

Can you tell us for certain that the other 17 coaches have all been present during the entire FA & trade period? I think you will find they haven't. I bet you didn't you know that Malthouse has attended during part of this period, but it is a rather pointless exercise attending for any length of time if the club have already determined that you are not going to be actively involved during this period. Have you heard of mobile phones, skype etc? Do you seriously believe that the other 17 AFL coaches have been sitting around at Etihad Stadium for the last 3 weeks?

Mick Malthouse's appointment to the club is effective from 1 November 2012. Malthouse was entitled to give his current employers a reasonable notice period (most of us do that, unless your employer can't wait to get rid of you), hence why the club agreed to his appointment from the aforementioned date.

It is interesting that during the FA/trade period, we have had supporters of some clubs talking about the great work their recruiters/list managers (not the coaches) have been doing during this period, yet for some reason there is a mentality that Malthouse has to be running this side of things for the Carlton Football Club. Apparently it is not good enough for Carlton's recruiters & Football Manager to represent the club during this period, yet previous trade deals done by the club over the last 5 years have been completed by our CEO & Football Manager.

Do you even understand what goes on during the FA/trade period, or are you just parrotting what you have heard/read others saying?

Point is Carlton supporters are acting like the recruitment of Mick is this major coup etc etc etc

So far he has done nothing for the club so I can whilst I can understand excitement and hope, I can understand this talk of it showing what a mistake collingwood made in letting him go

Point is Carlton supporters are acting like the recruitment of Mick is this major coup etc etc etc

So far he has done nothing for the club so I can whilst I can understand excitement and hope, I can understand this talk of it showing what a mistake collingwood made in letting him go
It's all very well to have hope but it needs to be based on reality.

Even Carlton supporters will admit in their heart of hearts that their side needs to be remoulded yet what does the new 'messiah' do when the huge opportunity of the first FA period comes along??

Goes on holiday. . . wow.

Tried for Cloke . . . . .FAIL

Tried for Tippet . . . . FAIL

Tried for Lynch . . . . FAIL

All the while the 'messiah' is off basking in the sun or whatever. . .

Oh yeah GREAT GET Carlton, he's obviously highly motivated and focussed on gaining the players you need to transform from an also run into a contender isn't he?

LOL LOL LOL LOL

It's all very well to have hope but it needs to be based on reality.

Even Carlton supporters will admit in their heart of hearts that their side needs to be remoulded yet what does the new 'messiah' do when the huge opportunity of the first FA period comes along??

Goes on holiday. . . wow.

Tried for Cloke . . . . .FAIL

Tried for Tippet . . . . FAIL

Tried for Lynch . . . . FAIL

All the while the 'messiah' is off basking in the sun or whatever. . .

Oh yeah GREAT GET Carlton, he's obviously highly motivated and focussed on gaining the players you need to transform from an also run into a contender isn't he?

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Cloke was never available to be recruited.
Tippett was never coming to Victoria, you know that, but it doesn't suit your misguided argument.
Lynch - unlike Collingwood, we didn't need to find someone to play 2nd ruck at Carlton, but anyway, don't you let the facts get in the way of a very unoriginal story.

It is quite amusing the amount of hate Collingwood supporters now harbor for their most recent premiership coach (a title that not too many Collingwood coaches can claim in our lifetime), but then, the previous Collingwood premiership coach also left the club on less than good terms.

The point is, the majority of Carlton supporters are still reserving judgement until we see what transpires in 2013. Of course there are a few who were solidly in the 'recruit Malthouse camp' who are talking him up, but then we see the same when new coaches are appointed by all clubs.

Tippett was never coming to Victoria, you know that, but it doesn't suit your misguided argument.
Lynch - unlike Collingwood, we didn't need to find someone to play 2nd ruck at Carlton, but anyway, don't you let the facts get in the way of a very unoriginal story.

It is quite amusing the amount of hate Collingwood supporters now harbor for their most recent premiership coach (a title that not too many Collingwood coaches can claim in our lifetime), but then, the previous Collingwood premiership coach also left the club on less than good terms.

Well you put a sizeable offer to Cloke and he didn't take it

There was interest in Lynch, Judd even gave it a tick as an ex teammate

Carlton didn't make the finals and at this rage have failed to improve their list. That's an issue

You got 2 flags in the 70s owing to a loophole and got 2 flags due to a once in a lifetime player who happened to play for your side.

You mean we used a rule available to all well in the 1970s and then identified, we recruited and developed the best player ever?

Thanks!

Hate?

LMFAO how do you manage to avoid obstacles sunshine?

He's so self obsessed he derailed his own chance at a back to back flag so he could tear into the club on national TV, whilst it was annoying at the time looking back on it from the point of view of an independent buyer he made himself look like an absolute and utter tool.

He looks even more infantile with his self righteous posturing since, I have 5 year old grand nephews that display more maturity.

Hate???

No try hilarity, he's a perfect fit for Carlton. Self obsessed and focussed on revenge.

Carlton - the all new Collingwood Lite, all the bells and whistles of a premiership team without the players LOL LOL LOL

Don't let the door bang your heels on the way out.

you had to change your name to get members but still have membership numbers less than expansion clubs.

No. I believe that last year North had higher membership than both GWS and GC. And also Brisbane and Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute and utter rubbish, this year was spent enduring 5 Ac's - not to mention serious disruption to the personnel of the backline. Considering the ongoing chaos of having over a third of the senior playing list out for the majority of the season we in fact over achieved.

Gotta love you Mick apologists, he's not the Messiah - he's just a naughty boy angry and petulant old man.

Who were the 5 ac's?

West Coast played a Prelim in 2011, but failed to make the top 4 in 2012. I'm going to go ahead and assume this slide was caused by a rift forming between Worsfold and the players.

No not at all, there were 4 better sides than us. Where we finished was a good guide as to our ability. No excuses.

If you are talking about the 10 year rule, that's just revisionism.

North picked up 3 players under that rule in 1973, Rantall, Davis and Wade.

It took them until 1975 to win their first flag, by which time Wade was 33 and the other two were 32.Well past their prime.

Your statement overlooks the fact that North had players of the quality of Dench, Blight, Greig, Cable, Schimmlbusch, Crosswell, Kekovich, Henshaw, etc in that 75 side.

And by the time the 1977 flag came around, none of the 3 "10 year" players remained.

And it wasn't a "loophole" in any case, it was a rule. Shortlived, but a rule nevertheless.

...and WHACK fellow Roos supporters....

Q50rexEMGkm21Y8F_vhqIA2.gif

If you are talking about the 10 year rule, that's just revisionism.

North picked up 3 players under that rule in 1973, Rantall, Davis and Wade.

It took them until 1975 to win their first flag, by which time Wade was 33 and the other two were 32.Well past their prime.

Your statement overlooks the fact that North had players of the quality of Dench, Blight, Greig, Cable, Schimmlbusch, Crosswell, Kekovich, Henshaw, etc in that 75 side.

And by the time the 1977 flag came around, none of the 3 "10 year" players remained.

And it wasn't a "loophole" in any case, it was a rule. Shortlived, but a rule nevertheless.

....agreed, and yes, one may well ask a simple question 40 years on.....

__BFHGfU6kenqFk_V21AWA2.gif

So are you one of those rare opposition fans that believe Harry O and Maxwell are of All Australian standard now? Or that Swan is one of the best midfielders in the AFL?

That Norm Smith medalist, and our best player broke his leg this year. The Brownlow medalist missed 5 games. One of those AAs played just 11 games, another, just 12. There were also 3 other AAs who missed 5 games each. Does that put our injury woes for 2012 into perspective for you? Or is it still just the transition that caused Collingwood to only finish top 4?

Thanks for highlighting my argument. I'm saying that the players you have mentioned, plus others, have gone backwards under Buckley.

No not at all, there were 4 better sides than us. Where we finished was a good guide as to our ability. No excuses.

Why is it different for Collingwood then? We were hardly playing any better in the last 8 weeks of last year under Malthouse, in fact we were lucky to get through the prelim final, and struggled in the qualifying final too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back