Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

A successful coach is someone who got us a premiership within 3 years, not within a dozen years at the helm and a decade of realising you need a ruckman to win a flag. He'll probably need to coach til he's close to century to win a flag for the Blues, Leigh Matthews would get you there a bit quicker.

LOL. You wouldn't think Magpie fans wouldn't be too picky when it comes to taking the silverware.

But no no no. This logic is ALL wrong.

Firstly because it took Matthews FIVE seasons to win a flag (not three) after he took over a team that finished 7th the year prior and top 4 the year before that and a club that had played in successive GF's just a handful of years earlier. Comparatively Malthouse took over a wooden spoon side that hadn't played finals for many season prior to his appointment.

Secondly the first port of call is winning a flag; of which there are only two coaches to have done that in the last half centrury at Collingwood. So therefore, on that even keel, we move to the next tier of achievement, which is how many Grand Finals were reached; and Mick takes this in a canter.

So according to sensible systematic thinking, rather than your skew it how we want appraoch, Malthouse is quite clearly your most successful coach in the last half century and yes; thank you we will enjoy him at the Blues as one of the best coaches in the modern game.

Whinging about Carltons early draw isnt a good start

Hahahaha. Do you know how much of a shit Carlton give about what Buckley says ...

132617-empty-plate.jpg

I thought Mick was still on the book signing tour.....

If you are looking for Christi's book, as I posted a few days ago, it will be available in all $2 book shops just before Xmas.

I still smile when I think how the magnificent Collingwood machine - which appeared to be on the verge of a genuine era of dominance - was wrecked by poor little North offering Nathan Buckley a coaching gig.

Eddie said don't fall in love with an idea then he fell in love with his idea, Now all the good he has done has or could have cost his club two flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it different for Collingwood then? We were hardly playing any better in the last 8 weeks of last year under Malthouse, in fact we were lucky to get through the prelim final, and struggled in the qualifying final too.

Under the last year of Malthouse, him leaving would've had an effect on the playing group. If he had of stayed, in my opinion, you would have won another flag by now. All guesswork but with the side the Pies have had since 2009, to only win 1 flag from the playing group is a major underachievement.

Being a Pies supporter you would have to agree?

...... Malthouse coaches Collingwood to a flag, its first in 20 years, and really he should have been revered as a Collingwood club legend forever thereafter....

I wonder what you think of the way Port Adelaide treated their only premiership coach in Mark Williams? - that was a very amicable departure, wasn't it?

Flags are hard to win, you need a lot to go right. Geelong found us out in 2011, and we were never the best team this year. No doubt there were some players who wanted to keep Mick in 2011, but if they're still sulking about it 12 months later they are free to leave.

Buckley will be judged in a few years time, and if we haven't won another flag it will be an underachievement. It's way too early to make the big calls that are being made here about a first year coach who got his team to a preliminary final under some tough circumstances.

Ok hands up anyone who thought 4 years ago that we'd be sitting here today with Collingwood fans saying Malthouse is a bit of a flog and Carlton fans saying "leave Mick alone". o_O
Back in 2004 MM being a flog was actually the subject of heated debate at the AGM. Well not being a flog specifically but a failed coach certainly. At the end of 2009 there were plenty of Collingwood fans surprised he got another 2 years.

Personally I think he's always been a flog but that's not particularly relevent to whether he can coach or is an asset to his club.

Under the last year of Malthouse, him leaving would've had an effect on the playing group. If he had of stayed, in my opinion, you would have won another flag by now. All guesswork but with the side the Pies have had since 2009, to only win 1 flag from the playing group is a major underachievement.

Worthy of debate for sure but not quite accurate IMO.

In 2009 Collingwood were not good enough. Thomas wasn't the player he was in 2010 and theer was no second tall forward. Importantly theer was no ruckman to speak of.

2010 Collingwood gained Ball and Jolly who were 2 massive additions and a number of other youngish players developed further. Pendlebury rivaled Swan and Thomas emerged. Dawes and reid took over key positions and Brown came in late as another KP player. Collingwood were much better in 2010 than 2009.

In 2011 Collingwood were arguably the best side in the comp for much of the year but slipped late while Geelong built perfectly through the year - a bit like Collingwood the previous year. Collingwood were, however, poorly coached in the GF for not the first time by Malthouse (2003 was another poor effort from the same coach).

2012 injuies and conteracts had a big impact and momentum never really developed. It would be harsh to attribute that to the coah in the circumstances.

So we there are no excuses. Results are the decider and the bar has to be set high.

Hahahaha. Do you know how much of a shit Carlton give about what Buckley says ...

132617-empty-plate.jpg

Apparently a lot it seems you have an empty plate ready to eat shit!

LOL. Why am I not surprised that a Collingwood pleb struggles with abstractness :oops:

Is that some new fancy accounting term that Carlscum use.

Firstly because it took Matthews FIVE seasons to win a flag (not three) after he took over a team that finished 7th the year prior and top 4 the year before that and a club that had played in successive GF's just a handful of years earlier. Comparatively Malthouse took over a wooden spoon side that hadn't played finals for many season prior to his appointment.

Sorry to be the one to inform you champ, but Mick didn't win us a flag for 11 years.

Buckle up now boy-o.

Hopefully you have deep pockets because you are going to need them.

Sorry to be the one to inform you champ, but Mick didn't win us a flag for 11 years.

Buckle up now boy-o.

Hopefully you have deep pockets because you are going to need them.

i love your avatar,cracks me up everytime. We didnt want to make the same mistake essendon did with sheedy and leave him as coach for too long...They should've kept matty knights too,he's won more premierships as coach than james hird..

Hands up who's renting space in Collingwood supporters' heads?

kAY0nN.gif
MM: "This crooked little finger came about courtesy of a well aimed stomp by John Nicholls. It's symbolic, you see? Crooked finger, courtesy of a crooked player from a crooked club. Now I am at the crooked club and will teach them to play crooked footy and lead them on a crooked path.
Sticks: heck Mick, back to the earth and ox, mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back