Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't expect a win but least Blues gave it a good crack and had good patches. Tackled and ran hard, love seeing these efforts. Bring on the Crows next week

There's a word I'm looking for to sum up Barker's performance as coach tonight....what is it?....I had it a second ago

Oh yes. The word I'm looking for is "shithouse"

There's a word I'm looking for to sum up Barker's performance as coach tonight....what is it?....I had it a second ago

First game missing key players. Swans were expected to slaughter Blues tonight but kept Blues competitive through pressure and tackling and even clearances

Swans class was always going to be too much but he got the effort out of the players which was what Blues supporters been waiting for. You have to judge him over the year not just 1 game

I didn't expect a win but least Blues gave it a good crack and had good patches. Tackled and ran hard, love seeing these efforts. Bring on the Crows next week
We paid dearly for every skill error, but you wouldn't have expected not to.

But I saw some actual hard tackles. Some players with confidence. Decisions made, even if they didn't pan out.

Perhaps you might be taken seriously if you have some sort of, oh I don't know, reasoning. Instead of this post which is, I don't know... "shithouse"? Do I have that right? I am trying to say that your post is the equivalent of an outdoor toilet.

Perhaps you might be taken seriously if you have some sort of, oh I don't know, reasoning. Instead of this post which is, I don't know... "shithouse"? Do I have that right? I am trying to say that your post is the equivalent of an outdoor toilet.
You Carlton supporters are a touchy lot... He was just having a bit of a laugh.. It is what it is...

We paid dearly for every skill error, but you wouldn't have expected not to.

But I saw some actual hard tackles. Some players with confidence. Decisions made, even if they didn't pan out.

I've been to 4 games this year and we really, desperately need pace. We looked so slow and flat against teams like Pies and Giants, annoying Mick wouldn't give games to Buckley and Boekhorst often. I would love to see rest of year to have Buckley, Dennis, Yarran, Tutt, Boekhorst just have license to run wild. Bring back Ratts running game plan, least Barker has identified this issue and it showed tonight

You Carlton supporters are a touchy lot... He was just having a bit of a laugh.. It is what it is...

Who can blame them for being touchy.

They are watching a slow motion car crash which has only just begun.

Some Blueboys on here are actually relieved at a 10 goal hammering against a side walking round preserving energy for the next battle. That is how bad it is for them.

I'd pay it if it was original and funny. But it wasn't either. It wasn't anything. It was... shithouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joking or not, I don't know how anyone can actually criticize Barker in his first game as head coach with extremely limited cattle vs a behemoth side like Sydney at home.

Arguably he already managed a few improvements on what Malthouse would have done. For starters Graham probably wouldn't have played, or at least a full game, Paddy Cripps probably would have been camped down forward and Simon White probably would have been left on Buddy for an entire half or more and only moved once Buddy got close to double figures and half the midfield would have been playing negative roles.

The effort and tackling was vastly improved, though we're coming from a low base. Still much work to do obviously.

Barker did a reasonable job considering he was missing 3 of his best mids and had a couple of passengers like Jones and Tutt, god knows what Carlton were thinking when they recruited them.

Cripps has been one of the few shining lights for Carlton this year, he was BOG against us in NZ and was close to Carlton's best again last night, has the potential to be an A grade mid in years to come.

Who can blame them for being touchy.

They are watching a slow motion car crash which has only just begun.

Some Blueboys on here are actually relieved at a 10 goal hammering against a side walking round preserving energy for the next battle. That is how bad it is for them.

We had Sheehan, Jamison, Gibbs, Murphy, Judd and Kreuzer missing. Menzel and Yarran were injured during the game as well.

Not to mention Walker, Henderson and Thomas running around half fit.

And were playing Sydney away.

How would Richmond go with Cotchin, Martin, Rance, Maric and Delidio out against Sydney?

We had Sheehan, Jamison, Gibbs, Murphy, Judd and Kreuzer missing. Menzel and Yarran were injured during the game as well.

How would Richmond go with Cotchin, Martin, Rance, Maric and Delidio out against Sydney?

The ladder speaks for itself BM.

Richmond are 4-4 and in 8th. Not great. Not bad. Mid ladder candidates for a run at the finals. The games we lost this year were by smallish margins.

Carlton are in rag order shipping heavy defeats week in week out.

If Richmond played Carlton tomorrow I suspect he spread would be above 30.

You are assuming Syd were even out of first gear

Carlton played a lot better with their intensity, however it remains to be seen if they can keep that up for the rest of the year.

Richmond are 4-4 and in 8th. Not great. Not bad. Mid ladder candidates for a run at the finals. The games we lost this year were by smallish margins.

Ok fair enough. Where do you think these teams will be in 3 to 4 years time?
Blues, Tigers, Saints, Dogs, Essendon

all teams go through cycles but like an outsider point of view on teams in few years time

You are assuming Syd were even out of first gear

Carlton played a lot better with their intensity, however it remains to be seen if they can keep that up for the rest of the year.
Doubt that Tippett has another gear.

They would have prepared for Carlton showing more urgency under a new coach.

Honest effort if you consider Barker had to coach against Longmire and the usual 25 men you have to play in Sydney. Carte Blanche to collect one team's players high, but not the others who can't be touched.

Ok fair enough. Where do you think these teams will be in 3 to 4 years time?
Blues, Tigers, Saints, Dogs, Essendon

all teams go through cycles but like an outsider point of view on teams in few years time

To be honest Gillo I think Carlton needs to clean house from top to bottom.

Richmond have been here....several times. One thing that a club cannot do is try to explain it away in terms of injuries, luck or even game day coaching. Carlton are an on field car crash and that is because the list is hopeless, has been badly recruited and is going nowhere.

Mick had to go. it wasn't working but don't forget this is a coach who has been to the GF 7 times. Its easy to blame him but if a coach of his stature couldn't make head or tail of that list then that says something.

Of the 5 team you mention I think the Dogs have prospects. Decent list decently coached and with no high level expectations.

Richmond will bounce along in mid ladder. we are basically going nowhere but won't fall on or asses in the foreseeable future.

Equally Essendon are going nowhere fast...up or down.

Carlton? here is hope if and only if there is no denial and prevarication. You are among the 4 clubs ( with Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood ) who are almost certainly immune to real calamity. However bad it gets you will bounce back but don't expect to be better than Tigers/Dons/Dogs......you won't be. Your list needs to be totally overhauled.

To be honest Gillo I think Carlton needs to clean house from top to bottom.

Richmond have been here....several times. One thing that a club cannot do is try to explain it away in terms of injuries, luck or even game day coaching. Carlton are an on field car crash and that is because the list is hopeless, has been badly recruited and is going nowhere.

Mick had to go. it wasn't working but don't forget this is a coach who has been to the GF 7 times. Its easy to blame him but if a coach of his stature couldn't make head or tail of that list then that says something.

Of the 5 team you mention I think the Dogs have prospects. Decent list decently coached and with no high level expectations.

Richmond will bounce along in mid ladder. we are basically going nowhere but won't fall on or asses in the foreseeable future.

Equally Essendon are going nowhere fast...up or down.

Carlton? here is hope if and only if there is no denial and prevarication. You are among the 4 clubs ( with Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood ) who are almost certainly immune to real calamity. However bad it gets you will bounce back but don't expect to be better than Tigers/Dons/Dogs......you won't be. Your list needs to be totally overhauled.

What you make of Saints and Demons lists?

You completely missed my point GT.

Thought they were a lot better this week, they actually tackled and ran hard. There were patches there that they were on top of Sydney and they keep them goal less. Wonder why they couldn't do that for Mick.

Admittedly Sydney looked like they were in first gear all night, so need to see more games against opposition that Carlton are closer to. Which will be a few weeks when they play Gold Coast, Dogs, Tigers, Lions, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back