No Oppo Supporters Marc Murphy unsportsmanlike

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she has been denigrated for her sexual history then she is a victim of harassment. Just because it's been happening forever and a day doesn't change that fact. The boys club bullshit needs to go away already.

If Carlisle is sledged for being a drug cheat or a coke head, whilst still not great, it's far better than a bloke having to cop abuse because his wife had a life before him. The fact that it is being used to insult the Murphys when you don't see too many players getting a used for how many girls they've rooted shows that there is some underlying sexism there too.

On Saturday afternoon the ground of etihad stadium was a workplace first and foremost. That sort of harassment is actually in violation of national and state legislation.

What is Murphy is more vulnerable to bullying, people process stress in different ways and if he was incapable of performing his duties whilst the victim of bullying Carlton and the AFL as his employers have a legal responsibility to prevent that from continuing.

I know the conundrum about where it all ends, will we eventually fine players for celebrating goals if it upsets the other side etc. To be truthful I don't know where it does, but if an AFL player wants to be able to perform his job without copping abuse about his partners sexual history I think he has every right to.
I got tackled out the front of the toilets at work yesterday and a free coffee was awarded to the guy that did it. Then when I was bending down to pick up some pens somebody put their shoulder through mine and I rolled my ankle. The boss said I needed to go in lower and put my head into their knees next and and they will give me a free coffee.

Man, tough but all in a days work in the office.

That's poor form if that is what happened. Unfortunately for us fans we don't know what was said, but we did see what Murphy did to Carlisle.

Strongly disagree, not far away from victim blaming IMO.

Murphy's wife is entitled to maintain agency over her own sexuality, as should every woman. If saints players were making derogatory comments I don't see that as being acceptable level. I'm sick of hearing about the unspoken rules of the footy field, at the end of the day it is a workplace and as such everyone put there faces the same standards that every other worker in our society does.

What Murphy did was poor form, for all he knew he could have been on the ground with a punctured lung needing immediate medical attention, but I can't say I wouldn't do the exact same thing Murphy did if somebody was making those comments about my wife.

If the rumours are true it's our club that this reflects poorly on and I would expect something to be done about it. This is not "How I want to be".

Thanks guys. IF, that is what's said. Kyrgios rightly got a big whack for saying something similar to an opponent (Wawrinka?).

Murphy sledging an injured player on the ground is not OK. Both things are unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Webster does basically get workers comp for his injuries. He gets normal pay. The fans aren't employees.
Saints are not employees of Carlton. Players are still being heckled in their workplace.
Should we have a HR rep and a greivence tribunal at halftime?

The cognitive dissonance demonstrated throughout this thread is remarkable. The mental gymnastics some of you are performing to attempt to maintain a philosophical consistency is remarkable.

If you believe what Carlisle is reported to have said (I have seen no actual proof fwiw) but have an issue with what Murphy did then you are just demonstrating bias. I know you can explain that they are different scenarios, and I know that you can create an argument which has a logical premise and a valid conclusion... but you are working backwards. You have started with a conclusion of St Kilda being in the right and Murphy in the wrong, and then you have worked backwards from there to land on your argument.

This is the same logic that the Western Sydney Wanders fans used to try and defend their homophobic banner from accusations of homophobia.

If they are using his wife's history to sledge Murphy than they are clearly applying a judgement to those actions. If they thought was she did was good they would hardly try and insult Murphy with it now would they?

The fact that they believe it is an insult is a reflection of some very outdated, sexist ideas.

It is a different workplace, but if a player was the victim of continuous bullying on the field, not only is a law being broken but they have a legal avenue for recourse (although no access to workers compensation). There is no clause in our industrial relation laws which precludes a workplace from anti-harassment laws. Being victimised for your sexuality (or in this case a family member's sexuality) is not on.

If you want to cheer on blokes that are willing to sink to that level then go for it. Personally I hope St Kilda show higher standards and be a leader. There's plenty of ways you can get under a players skin without needing to bring up highly personal things which have no place in the work force.

Clearly you have no idea. Everything is not about women. This is not insulting her, and clearly you have no understanding of human psychology if you don't get what facet of it this is designed to provoke. This is attacking his male ego !! No man likes having a bunch of other blokes tell him they all had sex with his partner before he was involved. This attacks a deep-seated issue within males which has its origins in our past when paternity of offspring could only be assured by procreating with females with no/limited sexual history. This was a means to prevent devoting valuable resources to the raising of another male's offspring. Maybe venture outside the gender studies classroom occasionally.

Saints are not employees of Carlton. Players are still being heckled in their workplace.
Should we have a HR rep and a greivence tribunal at halftime?

No we shouldn't obviously and yes it is obviously different to normal work places but if its ok to say what you like to get an advantage lets get into players sexuality and religion. We dont because we have grown up as a society. I think its time we grew up enough to respect your opponent my not having a go at family members and what they apparently did before they were married. As I said we say that's fair game but then some of those same people run to a mod for a comment made by an unknown person to another unknown person. It is hypocritical in the extreme. What happened on Saturday was poor by both parties and anyone who cant see that has the blinkers on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway thats enough talking about ' Captain Uninspiring ' .
That oxygen theif has taken up too many pages on this Saints site..
Lets get on with our good season and talk about how good we are again:thumbsu:
Great Call

hi guys /girls I understand ,Damian Barrett ,x Carlton board member is calling for a royal commission in what was said to Murphy??
Conveniently he hasn't show us Murphy spraying Carlisle who was on laying the ground ( he could have been dead or worse seriously injured )
It brought back memories of those two upstanding heroes , twins Chris and Brad , when they tackled Nick when he was leaving the arena in Qld i think with broke arm
Have remained scum eversince
He doesn't have the right to call for anything into anything. He's just a parasitic journalist. The AFL Website has a headline like Barrett: blah blah we must blah blah. As if he's somebody involved in football. It's like SEN trying to convince us that fuddy duddy sheahan is "the godfather". He's just a vague, irrelevant former journalist come entertainer for the dim. Journos self promoting and promoting other journos as being more important than they are is pathetic.

Honestly, she is allowed to sleep with whoever she wants to. This shouldn't be a discussion, it shouldn't be news and it shouldn't be up for abuse (to Marc or directly to her). I wish this didn't go on both ways. But to paint one club as some pillar of depravity and another as the pillar or morality is complete nonsense. They all went at each other just as hard.

Personally I'd be unhappy with someone who said something about my wife sleeping with other people to me. The depth of that unhappiness would obviously vary.

Another recommendation - don't look at pictures of Mrs Murphy if it's been a while. Sheesh.

Geary's response was entirely appropriate, and he'll cop his right whack for starting the melee, but you can't have an injured teammate treated like that. But, as always, there is a context.

Hi peeps,

Look, if this was my wife I'd be livid if I was sledged about it. Even more so to have allegations openly discussed on an internet forum.

Please be respectful of the situation. Sexual references and slanderous comments will be acted on as we can't have them here so must act on them.

Reminder to play nice!

Honestly, she is allowed to sleep with whoever she wants to. This shouldn't be a discussion, it shouldn't be news and it shouldn't be up for abuse (to Marc or directly to her). I wish this didn't go on both ways. But to paint one club as some pillar of depravity and another as the pillar or morality is complete nonsense. They all went at each other just as hard.
I don't think any one really cares if someone sleeps with 1 or 20 people. A team saw an opportunity to get under the skin of a good player, it could have been about anything. St kilda do it, Carlton does it, every AFL club does it. 99% of sporting world does it.

The cognitive dissonance demonstrated throughout this thread is remarkable. The mental gymnastics some of you are performing to attempt to maintain a philosophical consistency is remarkable.

If you believe what Carlisle is reported to have said (I have seen no actual proof fwiw) but have an issue with what Murphy did then you are just demonstrating bias. I know you can explain that they are different scenarios, and I know that you can create an argument which has a logical premise and a valid conclusion... but you are working backwards. You have started with a conclusion of St Kilda being in the right and Murphy in the wrong, and then you have worked backwards from there to land on your argument.
The issue is the Saints players have been thrown under the bus based purely on hearsay and innuendo. As has been said often these situations often escalate. We have as much evidence that Carlisle had been sledged crassly and responded with what's being reported than we do about what Murphy allegedly copped.

If you take a neutral stance you're left with an image of Murphy giving an injured Carlisle a spray, which is what most supporters are furious about.

The painting of Murphy as the assumed victim and the Saints collectively as the perpetrators is what most are riled up about. And yes I agree those trying to justify the reported sledging whilst condemning Murphy aren't morally consistent.
Come to think not sure if I'm disagreeing here but oh well!

After doing some research I'm starting to think this is all about raising their celebrity profile watch out for tell all interviews and then for her to push a tv vehicle or join Real Housewifes of Melbourne or something.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ermann-Australia-s-answer-Kim-Kardashian.html

From playing Kanye West's 'N***as in Paris' at her reception to sporting VERY similar wedding bling, is Jessie Habermann trying to become Australia's Kim Kardashian?

So Jimmy Webster should get Workers comp for his injuries?

Lets face it, it is not a normal workplace so trying to equate it to an office or some other employment.

So they should not cop heckling from fans at their workplace?

I agree. All those equating the AFL with a normal workplace ought to get their heads out of their Political Correctness Handbooks. Sledging has always been part of our game and always will be. You know why ?

Because the players like doing it and for most part wouldn't want it removed in a further step to sanitize our game. It's only people like Barrett and his disciples who've never played the game that want change. And I'm not talking about the vilification codes already in place.

Also, Barrett has said today that sledging like we see in the AFL has no place anywhere else in the world work place environment.

Hello .... if we are on stuck on the sports theme then what about the Australian Cricket team, the doyens of sledging ? A badge they wear with a sense of pride. Do we suddenly have to stop supporting them too ?

I agree. All those equating the AFL with a normal workplace ought to get their heads out of their Political Correctness Handbooks. Sledging has always been part of our game and always will be. You know why ?

Because the players like doing it and for most part wouldn't want it removed in a further step to sanitize our game. It's only people like Barrett and his disciples who've never played the game that want change. And I'm not talking about the vilification codes already in place.

Also, Barrett has said today that sledging like we see in the AFL has no place anywhere else in the world work place environment.

Hello .... if we are on stuck on the sports theme then what about the Australian Cricket team, the doyens of sledging ? A badge they wear with a sense of pride. Do we suddenly have to stop supporting them too ?

It is a work place but not a normal work place. There are things that should out of bounds under any workplace like religion and sexuality and race. There should be other things out of bounds and that includes family. And also sledging an injured player. Surely we can see that.

The way I see it is that the rumour must be true if it pisses him off that much. I played footy for 8 years & the amount of blokes that told me they'd ****** my mum, sister or girlfriend was amazing. Never worried me in the slightest.

The only thing that annoyed me was when they said I skipped leg day.... #nocalves #kankles :(
You didn't get offended because you knew those things were objective statements that you were certain weren't true - very different to be offended by strong subjective statements - or from what I've just read here about Geary's initial sledge to Murphy - objective statements that you know are true.

Truth hurts a lot more than the boldest lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back