No Oppo Supporters Marc Murphy unsportsmanlike

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cognitive dissonance demonstrated throughout this thread is remarkable. The mental gymnastics some of you are performing to attempt to maintain a philosophical consistency is remarkable.

If you believe what Carlisle is reported to have said (I have seen no actual proof fwiw) but have an issue with what Murphy did then you are just demonstrating bias. I know you can explain that they are different scenarios, and I know that you can create an argument which has a logical premise and a valid conclusion... but you are working backwards. You have started with a conclusion of St Kilda being in the right and Murphy in the wrong, and then you have worked backwards from there to land on your argument.

This is the same logic that the Western Sydney Wanders fans used to try and defend their homophobic banner from accusations of homophobia.

If they are using his wife's history to sledge Murphy than they are clearly applying a judgement to those actions. If they thought was she did was good they would hardly try and insult Murphy with it now would they?

The fact that they believe it is an insult is a reflection of some very outdated, sexist ideas.

It is a different workplace, but if a player was the victim of continuous bullying on the field, not only is a law being broken but they have a legal avenue for recourse (although no access to workers compensation). There is no clause in our industrial relation laws which precludes a workplace from anti-harassment laws. Being victimised for your sexuality (or in this case a family member's sexuality) is not on.

If you want to cheer on blokes that are willing to sink to that level then go for it. Personally I hope St Kilda show higher standards and be a leader. There's plenty of ways you can get under a players skin without needing to bring up highly personal things which have no place in the work force.

:eek:

Yeah, nah.

Let's not make ourselves and our club look like dickheads over this.
kidding right ,, have a look at what a lot of dimwits on here have said , these fools not only make themselves look stupid but also our club. We actually live in a glass house given out past off field transgressions and perceived transgressions . Hold yourselves and your club in a higher regard.

I go to the footy to have a beer with mates and watch my team play AND to escape the problems of this f***ed up world snowed down with litigation and red tape .

CARLTON and St Kilda have told the AFL they don't want the Marc Murphy sledging furore taken further.

Carlton captain Murphy was incensed at St Kilda's sledging, understood to be highly personal in nature, during Saturday's game.

As current stars Joel Selwood and Brendon Goddard say players know the sledging boundaries, the AFL asked both clubs about the Murphy sledging.

"There was nothing filed from the umpires in their match-day report," an AFL spokesman said.

"Neither club has lodged a complaint with the AFL.

"The AFL has spoken to both clubs to confirm if any complaint may be lodged and we have been advised by both clubs they did not wish for any further action."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-15/no-further-action-on-marc-murphy-sledging-affair

Clubs are moving on. Maybe we should too.

I'm just sick of Barrett. Fullstop. This issue will blow over by this time next week but his hatred for the Saints won't relent. Check out his column Sliding Dorks this week. What's the bet that despite the fact we've won three in a row he will still find something negative to say about us ? He bags us when we play crap, he bags us when we win or he finds something else to divert attention from our growth.

If you watch the AAA clip on the AFL website you can see him getting all worked up demanding an inquiry into the Murphy business. Lyon and Lloyd are like, yeah let's move on (surprise, surprise they have both actually played the game). But Barrett is almost indignant because they won't join him on his Anti Saints crusade.

I just wish the purple flog would go away and cover Badminton or something.

CARLTON and St Kilda have told the AFL they don't want the Marc Murphy sledging furore taken further.

Carlton captain Murphy was incensed at St Kilda's sledging, understood to be highly personal in nature, during Saturday's game.

As current stars Joel Selwood and Brendon Goddard say players know the sledging boundaries, the AFL asked both clubs about the Murphy sledging.

"There was nothing filed from the umpires in their match-day report," an AFL spokesman said.

"Neither club has lodged a complaint with the AFL.

"The AFL has spoken to both clubs to confirm if any complaint may be lodged and we have been advised by both clubs they did not wish for any further action."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-15/no-further-action-on-marc-murphy-sledging-affair

Clubs are moving on. Maybe we should too.
correct , we should , i am quite disgusted at many Saints followers comments following this incident ,, i thought we had a bit more moral fibre and integrity than other clubs ,, clearly i am mistaken and put us below the standards of the Collingwood faithful who idolize a guy who drove himself into the back of a truck FFS

Just said on SEN that Gears tried to call Murphy to apologise for stepping over the line with sledge, but Murphy wouldn't take the call.
Get over it Marc FFS
By who?

time to remind them of their "cheater" Pigs Arse "Johnny Elliott"( cost them 10 yrs in dev)
paid disel /Judd under the table

(Log in to remove this ad.)

correct , we should , i am quite disgusted at many Saints followers comments following this incident ,, i thought we had a bit more moral fibre and integrity than other clubs ,, clearly i am mistaken and put us below the standards of the Collingwood faithful who idolize a guy who drove himself into the back of a truck FFS
Maybe there's a lot of supporters on this board who are tired of the media beating us up all the time. Sometimes it's warranted but many times it's not. Personally, I couldn't give a rats what's said on the ground. I just want some fair treatment for us and balanced reporting in the media.

Mods can we have this thread closed? Both clubs are moving on from the incident so it's time to let it go, talking about it here isn't doing any good, it's just stirring a massive shit fight between St. Kilda and Carlton supporters

So Jimmy Webster should get Workers comp for his injuries?

Lets face it, it is not a normal workplace so trying to equate it to an office or some other employment.

So they should not cop heckling from fans at their workplace?

No Jimmy Webster should not be entitled to workers compensation for his injury. The reason for this is because the Accident Compensation Act of 1985 and the subsequent WIRC act revision exclude professional athletes from being entitled to workers compensation, instead they are mandated to insure their players outside of the scheme. The reason for this is because if every time an AFL player has a career ending injury it would see a huge increase in the premiums that every other workplace in the country has to pay, the same applies to high level executives.

That doesn't mean that players are not covered under OHS laws which apply to the point where they are "reasonably practicable". Given two players have signed contracts to chase a ball head first, it is not reasonably practicable to prevent occasional injuries. If a player was king hit behind play however they would have grounds to pursue independent action against their assailant because that is not a part of the game.

This may surprise some people on here but sledging is not a part of the game. When it starts going into the territory of abuse and bullying what "has been going on for years" ceases to be relevant, you can't take an ought out of an is.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to determine when something goes from "banter" (is there a more hidden behind word for unsociable conduct?) to harassment is up for debate. It comes down to what a "reasonable person" would consider to be ok. I know if somebody was giving me shit about my missus in the workplace I would be taking the issue further.

If you can defend Carlisle but expressed any disapproval over Malthouse calling Milne a rapist you are a hypocrite, it is that simple.

Everyone is saying poor Marc Murphy, poor Jake Carlisle...

...but will no one think of poor Wayne Carey? Once a king, now the butt of a very ordinary joke. He must be wondering what he ever did to deserve this.
/s

Clearly you have no idea. Everything is not about women. This is not insulting her, and clearly you have no understanding of human psychology if you don't get what facet of it this is designed to provoke. This is attacking his male ego !! No man likes having a bunch of other blokes tell him they all had sex with his partner before he was involved. This attacks a deep-seated issue within males which has its origins in our past when paternity of offspring could only be assured by procreating with females with no/limited sexual history. This was a means to prevent devoting valuable resources to the raising of another male's offspring. Maybe venture outside the gender studies classroom occasionally.

Haha, oh my. Would you like to exchange resumes and see who is more qualified from a psychological perspective? Really backed the wrong horse there my friend. Given that you are so familiar with the evolutionary theories of human psychology I am sure you are also aware of the principles of cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias, both of which have been illustrated enough in this thread to pen a thesis on.

Also you are right, not everything is about women. I just think that a series of comments about a women is one of those rare little examples when something can be about women... crazy I know.

While we're throwing around unfounded assumptions about other posters, perhaps you could venture out of the basement, shave that beard off your neck, lose the fedora and try and understand that not everything is a PC vendetta against men... sometimes it's just nice to act like a decent human being...

Everyone is saying poor Marc Murphy, poor Jake Carlisle...

...but will no one think of poor Wayne Carey? Once a king, now the butt of a very ordinary joke. He must be wondering what he ever did to deserve this.
/s
He did plenty to deserve this ---- wayne carey

Nothing but a piece of rubbish

Is it possible that StKilda and Carlton fans just publicly stone Wayne Carey and everything will be right with the world again . :D

Is it possible that StKilda and Carlton fans just publicly stone Wayne Carey and everything will be right with the world again . :D

Must admit, the fact that this bloke still has a job in footy shows that there are more significant cultural issues than sledging.

Can't stomach having to hear anything from him or Hird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back