Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett has been charged by WA Police with four counts of aggravated burglary, with three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage among his other charges.
The alleged offences took place between December 2022 and January 2023.
Pickett has a “strong intent” to defend himself, his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen told 7NEWS in a statement.

Racist comments will immediately cop a long break from Bigfooty, discuss the issue not the skin colour or race.
Thank you.

P.S This thread has nothing to do with the Clarkson/Racism review discussion.
This thread is not the place to discuss the prison system and prisoner rehabilitation, you can take that to the SRP board.
This is the scandals and rumours board only, please stay on topic in here.

Last edited:
You can be mates with people who do stuff without getting involved and if they are his mates they would understand why he can't get involved.

I suspect he was deliberately involved - he's probably the only bloke they know that's capable of having hundreds of thousands in a bank account with a rational explanation.

Steering the discussion away from matters such as sociology, psychology, criminology etc. for a moment.

I was just wondering how well he’d been playing of late and did a very quick and shallow stats analysis.

Just going by ranking points in his five most recent performances he looks like he is hanging onto his place in the senior side by his fingernails.

He was Richmond’s 6th least important on Saturday and that includes the two players subbed in and subbed out of the game.

Also was their 18th best player with his team the previous week but redeemed himself at the very end by kicking the winning goal on his left.👏

He was the 14th best Tiger against Port.

He was the 17th best RFC dude against Essendon.

He was statistically the least effective Tiger against the Cats. Apologies if there is an alibi for this performance regarding injury.

Given his fringe selection status and being 30+ I would assume he was not going to be offered a contract for next season prior to these charges.

Disregarding optics and ethics etc. why would you select him anyway? Surely there are better and/or younger players that should be chosen in his place? 🤔

Steering the discussion away from matters such as sociology, psychology, criminology etc. for a moment.

I was just wondering how well he’d been playing of late and did a very quick and shallow stats analysis.

Just going by ranking points in his five most recent performances he looks like he is hanging onto his place in the senior side by his fingernails.

He was Richmond’s 6th least important on Saturday and that includes the two players subbed in and subbed out of the game.

Also was their 18th best player with his team the previous week but redeemed himself at the very end by kicking the winning goal on his left.👏

He was statistically the least effective Tiger against the Cats. Apologies if there is an alibi for this performance regarding injury.

Given his fringe selection status and being 30+ I would assume he was not going to be offered a contract for next season prior to these charges.

Disregarding optics and ethics etc. why would you select him anyway? Surely there are better and/or younger players that should be chosen in his place? 🤔
Would have thought the fact he knew police wanted to ask him questions and that his brother in law had been arrested for robbery might have played into his form. Personally I think it’s miraculous he got on the park at all

You’d think the only thing on his mind would have been either a) I’m busted and my life is over or b) I should have never lent that guy money my life might be over

Has been commented that he hasn’t been himself this year, this stuff weighing him down?

What I hope is that we see a different player on Saturday night, reckon he will feel like the magistrate has given him a third chance, and that he will literally be playing like there is no next year.

Looking forward to it, and if saints fans boo we will just cheer louder.

Can't believe they're considering playing him.
I haven't seen a club statement on this week's game.

I dont think he should play, but I think he also plans to fight the charges.

It's balancing innocent until proven guilty and being granted bail/return to Melbourne with being stood down indefinitely, basically he wouldn't play again with us if we waited until the court case.

What's the right thing to do? I don't know.

Was really good the first few weeks. He then got moved forward from a wing and has been less effective - visually and stats wise. There may be something the coaches see that he is doing perfectly for the team - ala Jason Castagna.

It's balancing innocent until proven guilty and being granted bail/return to Melbourne with being stood down indefinitely, basically he wouldn't play again with us if we waited until the court case.

I think his job is too public and the charges are too serious to ignore here. If he was stood down and the charges were dropped it would be unfortunate but the alternative is Richmond continues playing a guy who is eventually found guilty of some very significant charges and being involved in organised crime. Not to mention the weekly sideshow of how crowds will react to him. Maintaining your public image comes with the territory in an industry like the AFL.

Whether you like him or not, think he's guilty or not, there's a judicial process that needs to be followed in order to prove guilt. Question is whether the Richmond FC or AFL can formally stand down a player pending legal action, Im not aware of whether there's provisions in the club or AFL player contracts for that to happen, it happens outside of football.

who cares what Richmond knew. It’s not their job to call crimestoppers if they hear of something an employee did.

A company has a duty where the employer is vicariously liable for the actions of the employee, which is clearly not the case here.

It worries me that is your actual response to something considered illegal. Hope it wasn't Richmonds either.
A company has a duty where the employer is vicariously liable for the actions of the employee, which is clearly not the case here.

Hope that clarifies it for you. Moral vs legal obligations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that we live in a world where offenders have more rights than victims.

Yep, that is the reality unfortunately. Criminals often are given more rights than the victims of crime.

Same thing as any serious investigation…stood down with pay pending the outcome

Optics and all

No way he plays with aggravated burglary charges over his head.
Probably right but I believe it goes to court only in August - so can not play until then I assume and of course depending on outcome - maybe never again??

I don't know...

I love that we live in a world where offenders have more rights than victims.
That is the world we live in, legally. Once a crime is committed, the victim is really just a witness. If a guilty finding is made, they can plea for a sentence but have no say in one. Our entire society is built on the belief that it's better to let the guilty go free than imprison the innocent.

In reality, once an alleged offender is named, a victim has way more rights. Their story is believed regardless of fact being proven.

Does my head in why you would even consider such a thing when you're making bloody good money as is.
Unless you are blowing it immediately and become desperate.

If I was earning $300-$400k, it's literally life altering for the long-term.

I suspect he was deliberately involved - he's probably the only bloke they know that's capable of having hundreds of thousands in a bank account with a rational explanation.

It does look like he may have been the guy financing the operation.

Must not be allowed to play. Other players have been stood down during criminal investigations, so must Pickett.

Must not be allowed to play. Other players have been stood down during criminal investigations, so must Pickett.

He has a right not to be punished before being found guilty and his participation in the game doesn't impact either the community or the league. It's not a sexual, domestic or racial crime.

It does look like he may have been the guy financing the operation.

Yes, very little is known obv. but it seems logical if everyone involved is a moron.

It really does seem like a bunch of deads**ts who had an idea that seemed good - 'we plan a bunch of crimes, Marlion can launder the funds since no-one will be suss about another $100k in his account; we can split up the money to under $10k lots and no-one will know' - again, it seems to be a decent plan if you don't think about it for more than like, ten seconds in total.

Then you realise that actually there are much more organised, experienced crims with access to high priced white collar legal / accounting advice doing this on the daily with tens of millions of dollars at a time and they get caught out; so I doubt some little nothing wannabe crew from Perth has the nous to get it done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back