Confirmed Matthew Kennedy: To Dogs p/of 4-way trade: B. Smith (WB) & pick 45 to Geel / pick 38 to Carl / Macrae (WB) to StK / pick 17 & Kennedy (Carl) to

Remove this Banner Ad

That Essendon 4th for Setterfield would have been a pick in the 50s. You also handed the Bombers pick 68. Really it was nothing overall.
Which is what I was alluding to

In fairness even late picks would have utility for us this year, as Lucas is of lesser value than Ben and will certainly be picked up by us too

Is that the position he was subbed out early from?
He played every game this season. The subbing was embarrassing stuff and the writing was on the wall from as early as last season but I still don't think we'll let him go for peanuts. Quality player who would provide more value to us even as a surplus mid than a pick in the 50s-60s.

If it was purely from a Salary Cap dump POV we'd be kicking Williams or Mcgovern out long before Kennedy.

Macrae/Smith replacement for us maybe? Libba and Treloar won't last forever either.

I have been impressed with him when he's been in the midfield full time.

Hope we at least ask the question.

He played every game this season. The subbing was embarrassing stuff and the writing was on the wall from as early as last season but I still don't think we'll let him go for peanuts. Quality player who would provide more value to us even as a surplus mid than a pick in the 50s-60s.

If it was purely from a Salary Cap dump POV we'd be kicking Williams or Mcgovern out long before Kennedy.
A pick in the 40s would be more valuable than keeping him for another 12 months.

Clearly they see him as replaceable in that role, otherwise they wouldn’t be telling him to feel free to seek a trade.
They had him playing the Silvagni role when TDK went down, as an extra midfielder/HFF/Ruck

He is not good as a HFF
He’s not a ruck either

He is good off of half back and great as a forward pocket and a very decent contested midfielder

I think that’s where his frustration is, that he is being played out of position as he is falling further down the pecking order, and won’t have security next year provided Silvagni is fit, as Silvagni would play 3rd tall/Defensive Forward/Ruck Relief

Is the damage not done?

He has played his last game for Carlton.

You take what you can in these situations.

Would be crazy for another club to pay overs for him, when they could get him for next to nothing

What do you seriously think you can get for him?

Is the damage not done?

He has played his last game for Carlton.

You take what you can in these situations.

Would be crazy for another club to pay overs for him, when they could get him for next to nothing
Contracted player with no history of off field mishaps, conflict within other players etc and generally known as a beloved figure around the club. It sounds like the club told him we see you in the position going forward and Kennedy said he wants to play on ball where he plays his best footy.

I don't think its some sort of toxic departure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think he would consider a return to, or be wanted by GWS. He seemed a pretty good player to me this year. I have no idea what GWS management thinks.

Clubs are getting him cheap but don't think it's basically free like some are suggesting. Owies will be basically free, Kennedy is clearly a best 22 AFL footballer, will still be 2nd rounder IMO. Still a very good price, compare to what you think Baker and ANB will be traded for.

Where would he play?
Midfield.and forward. But maybe only if at least one of Green, Kelly, Cogs is injured.
I don't claim to be an expert.
I was watching the game on Saturday, had brought a $35 ticket but had decided to stay at home as son was a bit sick.
But he felt better, so with 5 minute's in 1st qtr left and GWS dominating we decided to drive the 25minutes to the stadium to watch the inevitable victory.
It was a bit annoying we allowed 5 goals in row in 3rd qtr, but still won that qtr. Get 3 goals in a row, 5 goals up in last qtr, what could possibly go wrong?

Only issue is that's not how it works in AFL trading. It will come down to the club that can convince him to move there, then the negotiations happen.

Clubs go about it in different ways.

Pick 42 is what Adelaide have said they will part with if he is happy to go there.

If he's not, then its all a waste of time.

A ridiculous system really, but it is what it is

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Matthew Kennedy: To Dogs p/of 4-way trade: B. Smith (WB) & pick 45 to Geel / pick 38 to Carl / Macrae (WB) to StK / pick 17 & Kennedy (Carl) to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back