Matthew Kngihts - credit for Essendons rennaisance

Remove this Banner Ad

makes sense you would know exactly where it is.

heh

so basically, you're just going to ignore everything knights did for your club?

you think a few players being mad at him cancels out the revitalization of the list and your first finals birth in 5 years?

that's just historical revisionism, plain and simple

heh

so basically, you're just going to ignore everything knights did for your club?

you think a few players being mad at him cancels out the revitalization of the list and your first finals birth in 5 years?

that's just historical revisionism, plain and simple

Unfortunately it is impossible to ignore or forget.

It was the whole club not a few players. The revitalization came the day he was sacked.

Knights had little say in our recruiting. He originally stated he wanted to draft Sidebottom, but he has since backtracked after Hurleys good form.

Didn't similar happen this most recent draft, with a video being released talking up some kid you didn't take, can't quite remember the details.

Commentators keep saying 'can a new coaching panel bring that much of a turnaround'

I'm personally looking forward to someone asking the hard question 'can a list of 22 players not try for much of a season in order to get their coach removed'

yes and no. The list management was good but the gameplan was too risky. Also I don't think there was a lot of respect for Knights by the end which means they could never have won a premiership under him.

It takes a few years for players to get used to a new gameplan so I don't think they have changed it that much from last year however it obviously has a larger emphasis on defence than Knight's.

A lot of the speed game we have started under Sheeds
We recruited a lot of leg speed in his days (Dempsey, Davey, Lovett, Winders, Jetta)

Knights did oversee a great draft for us when he took over grabbing Myers, Pears & Hooker in one draft. All three will be great backmen for us.

The problem came largely down to inconsistency and not getting the playing group to a good enough condition.

Bellchambers has been around for a few years but only shown something this year. Myers is playing with confidence that he isnt playing for his spot but to develop. Fletcher hung around and may do so for a couple of years to come. Ryder is back on the up. Reimers isnt getting games. We didnt make silly trades in the off-season (Mark Williams?!?!?). And when you get down to it, the players have better skills and play as a squad better than they ever have.

All Knights didnt have to work with that Hird does is a second pre-season into Melksham and Heppell.

and i was behind him as a coach all the way up to Anzac Day last year. After that effort, the call needed to be made

The answer to the question for anyone who knows anything about Essendon is a resounding 'no'.

The guy was (predictably) an absolute disaster as coach, plain and simple.

Let's face it: the team was a rabble at the end of last year. It has been entirely due to Hird and his new coaching panel that what was an absolute mess has been turned around.

As for those people suggesting Knights managed the list well ... pfft, sorry, but I can't agree. Among other mistakes, this is the same bloke whose relationship with a critical player in Lovett broke down and who traded away quite a bit to get Mark Williams.

Didn't similar happen this most recent draft, with a video being released talking up some kid you didn't take, can't quite remember the details.

That was just a minor thing that was blown way out of proportion.

Basically, EFC.com made a video [before the draft] of our recruiting manager welcoming Shaun Atley to the club at pick 8, that was "hacked" into from the website shortly after the draft. Apparently this lead to conspiracy theories that Dodoro was over-ruled by Hird on draft day. Ridiculous of course as we made similar preemptive videos for 4 other players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knights had little say in our recruiting. He originally stated he wanted to draft Sidebottom, but he has since backtracked after Hurleys good form.
You made that up. He's maintained he was keen on both but ended up going with Hurley.

To the OP - yeah, some credit definitely due. Left the list in a decent shape, took a lot of the bruises. Always going to be a tough gig coming in after someone like Sheedy.

Sorry not trolling, I know you Bombers fans want to love Hird, but I cant accept that this turnaround is because of anyone other than a certain dual premiership "assistant". But full credit nonetheless.

Who cares? I hope he is taking full advantage of the experience underneath him. Supposedly one of Hird's best traits is his ability to delegate, one which has served him well in business and appears to be doing the same in the coaches box.

You made that up. He's maintained he was keen on both but ended up going with Hurley.

Bullshit i did and you are talking about his new version of what he wanted. It is well known within footy circles that Knights wanted Sidebottom but was over ruled by Keane and Dodoro and he even mentioned it on radio.

Of course he has now changed his story. Just like he recently said how he was going to start teaching defense in 2011 :cool:

You're both right, but Timmy has an excellent point. We haven't done anything yet.

True that.

And in all likelihood, we'll be 2-1-2 after five rounds.

The real test will be in the four weeks following.

Gold Coast, West Coast, Richmond and Brisbane to come - all games we should win.

In years gone past we'd drop a couple of those. If we have improved, we will win all four.

True that.

And in all likelihood, we'll be 2-1-2 after five rounds.

The real test will be in the four weeks following.

Gold Coast, West Coast, Richmond and Brisbane to come - all games we should win.

In years gone past we'd drop a couple of those. If we have improved, we will win all four.

Spot on.

Essendon in 2011 (and 2010)
Round 1. Defeated Western Bulldogs 113-58 (Round 10. Defeated Western Bulldogs 99-90)
Round 2. Defeated by Sydney 93-98 (Round 11. Defeated by Sydney 80-89)
Round 3. Defeated St Kilda 136-84 (Round 8. Defeated St Kilda 93-81)
Round 4. Drew with Carlton 79-79 (Round 3. Defeated Carlton 95-75)

Record from first matches against these teams in 2011 (and 2010)
2-1-1 132.0% (3-0-1 109.6%)

Not overwhelming evidence of a renaissance yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Kngihts - credit for Essendons rennaisance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back