Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I would have sacked him after 2022.

For anyone thinking I'm revising history, here's my response after the GWS capitulation Round 1 last year

View attachment 2080205

Pffffttt, you were late to the party, some of us could see the writing on the wall back in 2021 that he wasn't up to the task of head coach.

1723714929410.png

Surely he doesn't survive 2025 unless we make the 8.

If he survives the whole 2025 season and doesn't make the finals he'll surpass Alan Richardson as the coach who has longest tenure at a club without making the finals.

Nicks will be on 106 games at the end of the season, Dew lasted 121 games at GC and Richardson lasted 126 at St Kilda.

It's a pretty embarrassing list to be part of.
Shouldn't survive 2024!

If he survives the whole 2025 season and doesn't make the finals he'll surpass Alan Richardson as the coach who has longest tenure at a club without making the finals.

Nicks will be on 106 games at the end of the season, Dew lasted 121 games at GC and Richardson lasted 126 at St Kilda.

Agreed. No way he survives without finals next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lawson Humphries sounds like a made up name
That's sort of the point. When the chips were down and both sides were gassed, some random name generator kid in his 6th game stood up and kicked the game winner while our kid in his 4th game was sitting on the bench trying not to get hypothermia.

Then lo and behold, who pops up last week for 2 last quarter goals having finally acclimatized to the game after being afforded the luxury of playing 4 quarters.

This is the issue though. Making the 8 is utterly meaningless unless not only we are competitive but our game demonstrates it can stand up to finals intensity. Finals is not and never should be regarded as a pass mark. You play football to win finals. The minute we go 'oh Nicks makes the 8 every year' regardless of win loss is the minute we accept absolute minimum. Do you know what club made finals under a coach nearly every year but never did anything? Brad Scott at North. North are the very epitome of accepting mediocrity. Started under Dean Laidley. But the common thing they all have in common, did nothing, absolutely nothing in finals. Rather than make changes, the club sat on them. Why? finals and near finals are feel good PR. Thats accepting mediocrity. Port under Hinkley accept mediocrity. But they always find an excuse to look after him. Or he just does just enough to make himself look good. No coach in history has failed to win a championship with the resources provided to them like Port has.

I want the Crows to be different. They need to place a value on the squad. Not just think top 8 is good enough, then blame players when we dont win the final. Nicks is a failure.

The 36ers are a shambles - not a role model to aspire too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They can be both a shambles and an organisation that wants to be elite

I dont follow the sport that closely but if they had a replacement who is perceived to be better then it shows a desire to be better

It certainly is mucky

And we aren't?
The 36ers are a joke.
The Redbacks are a joke.
Adelaide United only exist to receive transfer fees for losing players. Another joke.
We're patting ourselves on the back after another bottom four finish.

Need to lose the boys' clubs and be more like our women's teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone thinking I'm revising history, here's my response after the GWS capitulation Round 1 last year

View attachment 2080205
Just for the lols I ran a search for "sack Nicks" on my post history. It returned 3 pages of posts.

View attachment 2080205

Pffffttt, you were late to the party, some of us could see the writing on the wall back in 2021 that he wasn't up to the task of head coach.

View attachment 2080232

giphy.gif

OCTOBER 15 2019.

View attachment 2080205

Nicks was never actually hired let alone interviewed on his coaching ability nor philosphy. There were better candidates that were turned away. He was interviewed with the focus of building culture. Roo back as far as 2014 when he hired Walsh was all about bringing back footy club vibes. Not the corporate style image the club had under Trigg. So its no surprise when this fell apart and our culture hit rock bottom that this became the focus. Nicks was the standout in this area because he would have had great reviews from other clubs in his ability to forge relationships with players.

Basically Nicks had to rebuild the culture and there was probably and very likely a handshake agreement to remove perhaps a lot of the viewed cancers and dead wood from around the club.

Has the club actually examined his coaching ability and even bothered to ask him his philosophys because goddam, I think he has made more mistakes from any coach in the history of coaching. His selection philosophies are the worst kind of rubbish, his game plan is incredibly flawed and over thought. He is over reliant on just 3 to 4 star players to get the job done and make him look good.

All this says to the football industry is we are a club sticking with Nicks for PR and blindly hoping he can take us to another level, he sure has not provided any evidence he can do it in 5 years.

Just for the lols I ran a search for "sack Nicks" on my post history. It returned 3 pages of posts.
I reckon you and AmericanCrow were the first on the Sack Nicks train. Really early on too from memory.

This is the epitome of being delusional

BigFooty board said the crowd dwindling would send the club a powerful message ......FAIL !

Bigfooty board said Nicks refuses to play the kids ...... 4 rookies in one side not enough ....FAIL !

The positive, is eventually you'll be right & can claim victory ....as all coaches get sacked ...but that possibility won't be considered until the end of 2025
IMG_0601.jpeg

I’m new to the sport.

Is 15th good?

Nicks was never actually hired let alone interviewed on his coaching ability nor philosphy. There were better candidates that were turned away. He was interviewed with the focus of building culture. Roo back as far as 2014 when he hired Walsh was all about bringing back footy club vibes. Not the corporate style image the club had under Trigg. So its no surprise when this fell apart and our culture hit rock bottom that this became the focus. Nicks was the standout in this area because he would have had great reviews from other clubs in his ability to forge relationships with players.

Basically Nicks had to rebuild the culture and there was probably and very likely a handshake agreement to remove perhaps a lot of the viewed cancers and dead wood from around the club.

Has the club actually examined his coaching ability and even bothered to ask him his philosophys because goddam, I think he has made more mistakes from any coach in the history of coaching. His selection philosophies are the worst kind of rubbish, his game plan is incredibly flawed and over thought. He is over reliant on just 3 to 4 star players to get the job done and make him look good.

All this says to the football industry is we are a club sticking with Nicks for PR and blindly hoping he can take us to another level, he sure has not provided any evidence he can do it in 5 years.
*See Also: The Boys love Kenny.
Really, Why?
Here's an idea for a father figure.. your father!
He's likely 20 years younger & far less a chance of leaving the inheritance to a dish-licker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back