Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m curious to hear some thoughts on how Crows are 3W and 1L against Port in the last 2 seasons. Using wins and losses as the barometer of good coaching, does this make Nicks a better coach than Ken? Particularly when Ken has a group with more experience and credentials?
If Port ends up being first or second this year, why are some so sure Nicks can’t get similar results?
No, because there are other clubs in the competition and you’re judged on how many wins and losses you have in a season.

This is pretty silly even for you John

I’m curious to hear some thoughts on how Crows are 3W and 1L against Port in the last 2 seasons. Using wins and losses as the barometer of good coaching, does this make Nicks a better coach than Ken? Particularly when Ken has a group with more experience and credentials?
If Port ends up being first or second this year, why are some so sure Nicks can’t get similar results?

Well we haven’t beaten Richmond the last two years.

So we just pick out stats that actually have little relevance. I’m more interested that we are 8-13-1, similar to 2022 (8-14).

We are 5 years in and there is little evidence we will make finals in 2025 and why would that be?

I wouldn't be judging Nicks based on ladder position, which is a low quality metric. It’s susceptible to wild fluctuations. It also doesn’t take into account unequal fixtures, with some teams having a lot of hard double ups.

Percentage is the better metric. If you have a percentage over 100% you’re usually not a bottom 4 team. While disappointing, it's not a major regression on last year when you compare the harder fixture this year to last. It should be a reality check, however.
:drunk:

So last year we were essentially a top 4 side? If that's the case, Nicks is worse than we thought this season. He's taken us backwards by 7-8 spots.

In 2024 - 100.78% - 11th
In 2023 - 116.84% - 4th

Even more damning is that if we had drafted Butters instead of Jones, would you really have any confidence that Nicks (and the others) would have developed him as well as Port have? Not a chance.

Also worth reiterating we made fixture demands that were granted in the wake of the Sydney debacle and still bottom four.

How about pudding?
Bill Cosby GIF

The mismanagement of Curtin is a clear reason why Nicks needs to be moved on.

Most of his season was wasted by playing him out of position and half the time it seemed as though they didn't even know where to actually play him

Definitely didn't look out of place last night and arguably he should have played a lot more games than he did. He deserved better than spending his games getting subbed out at half time and getting subbed into games with only 2 minutes left.

It's ready hard to look at 2024 as anything but a completely wasted season for him.

Last edited:
The mismanagement of Curtin is a clear reason why Nicks needs to be moved on.

Most of his season was wasted by playing him out of position and half the time it seemed as though they didn't even know where to actually play him

Definitely didn't look out of place last night and arguably he should have played a lot more games than he did. He deserved better than spending his games getting subbed out at half time and getting subbed into games with only 2 minutes left.

It's ready hard to look at 2024 as anything but a completely wasted season for him.
And watching Curtin in centre bounces he look Jonesed, totally defensive

Has anyone noticed the influx of brand-new or near-new Bigfooty accounts that are pro-Nicks?

I love the pro Nicks accounts, they have a lot to say about how good he is without actually providing any real data or information to actually participate in the debate. If they are genuine club people, id surely hope they are more intelli....ok well I answered my own question. The club is in this position because they are this intelligent. God damn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The absolute best possible (and extremely unlikely) result from this point is Adelaide finishing in 15th, 3.5 wins (and percentage) short of eighth, but realistically it's likely to be 4.5-5.5 (I give Adelaide a 50/50 chance against a Sydney who will likely rest players) wins short. Even if the 0-4 start was a 4-0 start, Adelaide would not make the eight.

There's no way this season can be seen as anything other than a complete failure.

IMHO even the glimpses of "full strength" Adelaide were still inconsistent, and a long way off finals football.

I wouldnt be judging Nicks based on ladder position, which is a low quality metric. It’s susceptible to wild fluctuations. It also doesn’t take into account unequal fixtures, with some teams having a lot of hard double ups.

Percentage is the better metric. If you have a percentage over 100% you’re usually not a bottom 4 team. While disappointing, it's not a major regression on last year when you compare the harder fixture this year to last. It should be a reality check, however.

Some days I think this entire board is one big piss-take.

36% winning ratio from 5 seasons & he's 3rd on all time games coached. Surely he should be gone at seasons end? has the AFL gone soft on sacking coaches these days? I know at West Coast we let Simmo go way too long and look where we are at now.

36% winning ratio from 5 seasons & he's 3rd on all time games coached. Surely he should be gone at seasons end? has the AFL gone soft on sacking coaches these days? I know at West Coast we let Simmo go way too long and look where we are at now.

The Crows re-signed Nicks because of the potential for hurty feelings if pressure was applied to him during this season.

:drunk:

So last year we were essentially a top 4 side? If that's the case, Nicks is worse than we thought this season. He's taken us backwards by 7-8 spots.

In 2024 - 100.78% - 11th
In 2023 - 116.84% - 4th

Last year we had a much easier fixture and that percentage was inflated by a few big wins and an AA Walker who was one of the best players in the league. This covered over some of the cracks that were always there and probably inflated expectations too high for this year. When you consider the fixture difference as well as the Walker decline (both of which are out of the coaches control), it's stagnation rather than a regression.

I dont think this year was disastrous enough to sack the coach, he's earnt another year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back