Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This would have been a move by the Leadership group, not the Coach in isolation

Set standards …. Rachele fits into the team, not Rachele doing his own ****

I endorse the move …. Dawson isn’t a clown & his background of SYD would not tolerate a player going outside team first

I agree with you on this. Rachele is more concerned about being the star of show than actually working on his game. His over celebration with forced antics for the crowd would have rubbed many team mates the wrong way. Its great when you are winning, but antics get old if you arent really performing when the going gets tough.

And both of those incidents were heavily penalised as well .....set the standards early for a youngster, then you avoid the Wayne Carey type behaviour later on

Tex never got in trouble again. Great call brainworms.

We'll just ignore that we would have lost him if we'd not sacked Craig.

I agree with you on this. Rachele is more concerned about being the star of show than actually working on his game. His over celebration with forced antics for the crowd would have rubbed many team mates the wrong way. Its great when you are winning, but antics get old if you arent really performing when the going gets tough.
Playing as a half forward having to rely on our mind numbingly slow and stodgy game plan and midfield to provide him any sort of opportunity to perform, kicks 30 goals regardless. Who is it that’s not performing, exactly?

Last edited:
Like kicking the winning goal against Essendon, a side we haven't beaten in a long time at their home ground.

Don't use this as a Nicks bashing exercise .....this is a Leadership group decision ....throw your barbs at Dawson & co
Show me proof this is a leadership not a Nicks decision because it's just more made up fantasy by you to protect this nonsense which is on Nicks.

Again, in what capacity are you being paid by the club?

Can you imagine the pressure the two SA coaches will be under next year if Hinkley goes out in straight sets or can’t get past the prelim? It will be unprecented. It wouldn’t surprise me if it brings them even closer together to the point where they become gay lovers and spend every night embracing and consoling each other, sobbing in the dark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Self Burn GIF
Nicks every bloody week

And both of those incidents were heavily penalised as well .....set the standards early for a youngster, then you avoid the Wayne Carey type behaviour later on
Your posting is outlandish to suggest Rachele's comments are akin to glassing someone.

Pull your head in as that is a disgusting suggestion!

It's unbelievable how shit your posting has become & that a moderator can troll a board daily.

I have lost all respect for you.

Last edited:
I wanted to have a go at this, not because I think I'll change anyone's mind, just because it's a fun exercise.

1) He didn't bring a broom. The best organizational changers I've seen in action (even in footy coach terms) come with a broom and sweep away a bunch of folks. Making tough, even harsh calls. We're still dealing with Laird, Smith, Crouch and I believe we would still have Sloane in the guts if not for the eye, so many years later. Some of these blokes really do smack of bad attitude and I think they shouldn't even be here.

2) I don't agree with his selection policies and think he's too slow to craft players into their best spot. No eye for talent & position. Dawson took too long to get into the guts, Rankine did too. Laird took too long to get booted out. I'm still a Rachele in the middle believer and very disappointed we've not let him in there, similar for Pedlar. The continual selection of all available seniors over young players doesn't sit right with me. Also bog average blokes like Murphy, Berry & Schoenberg over more interesting & talented like Peds, Dowling, Taylor, and even youngsters who are in the team should have more games by now like Worrell, Nank.

3) He's failed to make us resilient. Failed to teach the team how to close out/win close games. When we're good enough to be in it right at the end of games, we don't tend to win. It's not even 50/50 chance. I know we're young but so are others and we lose tight games to them more often than not. A lot of times when we've got "must win" games or starting a new year with some expectation, we flop. Even the famous loss to Sydney in 2023, we were down by 40+ points due to not being resilient.

4) I can't get past so many stupid tactical moves 😭 especially around who to sub and when. ik ik, it's little stuff that might not make a real difference (although some were so dumb they just might have), but it just smacks of stupidity so many times. Won't go into all of them, they've been repeated ad-nauseum.

5) Hasn't fixed our midfield. Overall it's still a weakness after sooo many years. I put this last because I know you can't fix everything even in 5 years.

ig that's it
He hasn’t taught his players how to protect their team mates. Just like a tagger tries to wear a player down, our guys should be wearing the opposition tagger down. When the tagger is tackled, put an extra player or two on top and make them use energy to get up. Block their run at every chance. Push and shove and just slowly drain calorie after calorie out of the tagger. Over a 120 minute game, putting a bit of extra effort into a tagger at every opportunity will accumulate to a big difference in their effectiveness by the last quarter,

He's not going against a reasonable argument put forward by the leadership group ....otherwise why have a leadership group

It goes against the team first philosophy ....and players taking responsibility for standards & culture .....the cornerstone of any leadership program
What team first philosophies, cultures and standards that have gotten us all the way to 15th after 5 years do you think are working so well that a 21 year old talented kid with personality is wrecking by having fun on and off the field?
If only josh wasn’t so noisy we would be playing finals?

This would have been a move by the Leadership group, not the Coach in isolation

Set standards …. Rachele fits into the team, not Rachele doing his own ****

I endorse the move …. Dawson isn’t a clown & his background of SYD would not tolerate a player going outside team first
Should we ask Sam Mitchell?

Or is he a clown?

He is pretty much getting into Mark Neeld/Scott Watters territory of coaching dudness.

It's like since 2018 onwards we have been hoodwinked into accepting mediocrity and not not hurt anyone's feelings.

We've turned a professional sporting club into a Kindergarten
This gives off Mickey Arthur homeworkgate vibes

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back