Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never coached in my life and I’m no strategist! Therefore I can only go on gut feel (and to be fair I don’t always get that right)!

But there is something to like about Nicks. It’s a raw honesty in the way he goes about it. In this game, it’s just a matter of losses before we all turn on him, but right now I feel Nicks and the Crows are the right combo!

whilst I quite believe you’re used to dealing with people who finger paint, I fear you’ve failed to appreciate the lack of cognitive processing behind your crayons

1. the club delisting so many senior players hints at a lack of trust in the coach’s selection, as Clarkson says: the problem with senior players on the list is the temptation to play them.

so you’re trying to parlay a potential lack of trust in the coach to not select senior players as a tick in his box for not selecting them?

thats some of your best work

2. it’s so boring seeing someone butcher stats for mismatched purposes. Fact: we didn’t choose to play what senior players we had in the 2’s. We just didn’t. You’ve chosen to assume that in your imagination it’s for the reason that suits you cause your too lazy to consider all the possibilities

fact is, your conclusion is unsound and not supported by evidence. Slow enough for you?

3. you can fictionalise words for me when you start understanding some of the more basic ones. Until then don’t make up sh*t and pretend it’s my argument.

you’ve just adopted a position, because you think it’s cool and decided you don’t care if it’s evidenced or not. Fine, but don’t strike a pose until you can evidence it with more than crossed fingers and hope

4. Yawn. And?

5. More of your imagination again. It’s not even a straw man it’s just boring & fictionalised platitudes.

6. So?

next time you want to be so condescending, try sharpening your crayons - you might find more of a point

fact is you don’t even know if your argument is right or not.

Obviously the irony in this post is that you've made zero counter arguments, and then gone for the personal attacks, Scotty Trump! 'CrAyOnS'

1. the club delisting so many senior players hints at a lack of trust in the coach’s selection, as Clarkson says: the problem with senior players on the list is the temptation to play them.
so you’re trying to parlay a potential lack of trust in the coach to not select senior players as a tick in his box for not selecting them?

The greatest cull came at the end of the 2019 season and we didn’t have a coach at the time.

thats some of your best work
[/QUOTE]

Thank You

Last edited:
Giacomo is definitely our CAPITAL letter, MAESTRO loving, Bigfooty poster hating man Jack is Back.

Crom14 defending his honour out of nowhere feels like it's probably the same guy

Ciao = goodbye (or sometimes hello) in Italian

Giacomo = roughly equivalent to Jack in Italian

Affilato come una bocce!

P.S. AFGM = Jack is Back = Ciao Giacomo

Unlike many other posters, I never have and never will have any “mystery” aliases, if you know what I mean skammer.

It is because a large part of reshaping the club is done independently from Nicks. It's list management dumping most of our senior players, to replacing our incompetent chair, GM and CEO with so far good replacements. Nick's has done a good job with his part, and his handling of Jones and Seedsman in particular shows he is the right man for the next two years, seeing that two players who looked finished. Nicks was apart of that problem, yet he was able to correct it and rebuild their trust and confidence.

Still that was the easy part, the hard part is building a game plan and keeping up the trust/buy in as we continue our rebuild. After all, for us to move forward, our list and best 22 needs to solidify and almost stagnate, and that can be a dangerous time. It's certainly not hard to waste our start.
OK Both you and #Sanders have made rethink my words. what I meant was that I dont think that what he has done so far has been easy. I think its been a hard task getting the team back together as a team and a young one at that. Getting the players past "the camp". But I agree that what lays ahead is certainly going to be his toughest challenge.

Oof. That was awkward as fu**. Players look like they're at a funeral.
Yes must admit, the player response wasn’t exactly fist pumping. Unlike when a players re-signing has been announced.

But he is effectively their boss and unlikely to bring the same enthusiasm as a teammate.

Thought the same ....the sort of response you get when you're directed for the cameras ...rather than a spontaneous reaction

Giacomo is definitely our CAPITAL letter, MAESTRO loving, Bigfooty poster hating man Jack is Back.

Crom14 defending his honour out of nowhere feels like it's probably the same guy
Hahaha nah just cant stand Sanders nonsense, the blokes never wrong, just ask him xo

Lol, like any workplace there would be some that think he is great, some that think he is good and some that hope he doesn't see out his contract. Players might move between groups.

Five years is a fair stint if Nicksy makes it. I think he only goes the distance if we make the top 8 though. I assume he will chase another extension towards the end of 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks re-signing is kind of a non-event in my opinion. Personally, I would have waited to see how we did in 2022 before extending, but its hardly a bad thing.

Coaching contracts are notoriously easy get out of. If he stinks it up - let him go.

IMO - he was never hired to be the guy that takes us to a flag. He was 100% hired to turn over the list and restore the culture within the club. Thats not to say he can't turn out to be a brilliant tactician and gamely coach.

Ciao = goodbye (or sometimes hello) in Italian

Giacomo = roughly equivalent to Jack in Italian

Affilato come una bocce!

P.S. AFGM = Jack is Back = Ciao Giacomo

Unlike many other posters, I never have and never will have any “mystery” aliases, if you know what I mean skammer.

why have an alias at all?

I mean at least you fessed up when you were called out. But the only reason to create a new account is to evade a ban or to disguise your identity.

I don’t know where to place A Few Good Men/Jack is Back/Ciao Giacomo Vaffanculo.

Sometimes he’s right on the money.

Other times it’s like he’s posting from a dark room at 3am.

He did say once that he was compelled to join BF because of how much reading my posts pissed him off.

So I guess I‘m to blame for all this. Sorry folks.

Nicks re-signing is kind of a non-event in my opinion. Personally, I would have waited to see how we did in 2022 before extending, but its hardly a bad thing.

Coaching contracts are notoriously easy get out of. If he stinks it up - let him go.

IMO - he was never hired to be the guy that takes us to a flag. He was 100% hired to turn over the list and restore the culture within the club. Thats not to say he can't turn out to be a brilliant tactician and gamely coach.

I look at him as being a newer version of Robert Shaw, built a wonderful side but an x-factor coach was needed to go the final step

Time will tell though, maybe I am underestimating him

How long does Matthew Nicks have until his coaching tenure becomes untenable?

He is playing the kids through a necessity, we have no one else but the midfield has not changed or improved in almost 18 months.

We still stay with O’Brien in the ruck with Crouch, Sloane, Keays and Laird in the middle. That has never changed, regardless of the result, abs this is a prime reason we have stalked into the development of the younger player.

So, how long does Matthew Nicks have before question are being asked about his coaching future.

How long does Matthew Nicks have until his coaching tenure becomes untenable?

He is playing the kids through a necessity, we have no one else but the midfield has not changed or improved in almost 18 months.

We still stay with O’Brien in the ruck with Crouch, Sloane, Keays and Laird in the middle. That has never changed, regardless of the result, abs this is a prime reason we have stalked into the development of the younger player.

So, how long does Matthew Nicks have before question are being asked about his coaching future.
These sack the coach threads belong on the facebook fan pages where people think a rebuild takes exactly 24 months. Nicks has done plenty in his time.

Nicks is the right coach for now but won't see the fruits of his labour, and sometimes that's okay. I don't think people realise how dire things were at the club in late 2019/early 2020. He has galvanised the squad - you can't fault the effort - but we have gaping talent holes and lack confidence. We aren't improving.

These sack the coach threads belong on the facebook fan pages where people think a rebuild takes exactly 24 months. Nicks has done plenty in his time.

He’s done **** all. Anyone can do the tear down, releasing senior players and hitting the draft.

But that’s besides the point, truth is he needs to show progress this year.

So far, our game plan looks a car wreck.

We saw an amazing period last week where it all clicked. I am not so sure the game plan is a "car wreck", perhaps it more that the poor skills are making the game plan look non existent.

There are some gaping holes in the line up. We need to nab another dawson style trade, and get 12-24 months into the last 2 years draftees before we can hope these holes get closed up.

Thankfully this isn’t a Facebook let’s sack the coach pile on. Right now, he’s not under pressure but if we don’t show improvement quickly, that pressure will start.

It was a question about direction, time phrase and objectives.

Where will our improvement come from as the current midfield has totally stagnated and doesn’t have any improvement left in them.

Round 1 and the first month of the season, we played face paced ball movement with attacking flair and risk taking. That did not happen yesterday or against Fremantle, so we have not improved and looks like we are going backwards with player development.

We have not improved over the summer and the game plan has reverted back to that of 2020.

So, since you are so confident in him, where does out improvement come from?

Thankfully this isn’t a Facebook let’s sack the coach pile on. Right now, he’s not under pressure but if we don’t show improvement quickly, that pressure will start.

It was a question about direction, time phrase and objectives.

Where will our improvement come from as the current midfield has totally stagnated and doesn’t have any improvement left in them.

Round 1 and the first month of the season, we played face paced ball movement with attacking flair and risk taking. That did not happen yesterday or against Fremantle, so we have not improved and looks like we are going backwards with player development.

We have not improved over the summer and the game plan has reverted back to that of 2020.

So, since you are so confident in him, where does out improvement come from?

How can you possibly say the midfield has no improvement left in them? There are literally dozens of examples of players who did not reach their peak in their 3rd year at 21 years of age. Even Crouch has only played 2 games after missing a whole year. And our 2 best from last year havent made it on the park in the first 2 games. Our up and coming mids have a handful to 30 games experience and arent even 22 years old yet.

Our improvement comes from developing the players we have drafted in the last 4 years, many of whom have only had a taste of AFL at this stage.
Or are you completely unaware that 13 players yesterday have less than 40 games experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back