Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turned off as soon as he said "we all know we're tracking well".

Some other pearlers, "we're playing some really strong footy" (last time I checked we've just come off a 5 game losing streak) ”we've got a really strong squad".

It's all just baseless PR spin

Some other pearlers, "we're playing some really strong footy" (last time I checked we've just come off a 5 game losing streak) ”we've got a really strong squad".

It's all just baseless PR spin

Agreed. The problem is Nick's has to say that now. He is not about to be sacked but the pressure is coming.

Anybody with any idea about our club knows that our form of rebuild is purely about creating a list/best 22 capable of challenging for the 8.

Our rebuild is done, it's been done for over 18 months, I posted this back then. This is our culture, it's our DNA. It's about the 4 points this week and scraping into the 8. That is all we strive to achieve.

Didn't know you hated Blight.

Agreed. The problem is Nick's has to say that now. He is not about to be sacked but the pressure is coming.

We are now in the most dangerous spot.

We have acknowledged that we were rebuilding in 2020/2021, but 2022 started different. Our Captain came out saying we were gunning for finals and that 2022 was about further improving on 2021.

Nicks is now in the tough position. Finals are gone and its about next year, but he needs the Crows to stay competitive and finish strong so the club can sell progress to the masses and the board.

For the first time under Nicks, we are now in the territory where club goals and Nicksy's goals appear to be contradictory.

I for one hope we follow the Brisbane Trajectory:

Voss gets fired amid missing finals for 4 years and an exodus of players leaving the club (Yeo, Polec, Longer, Karnezis, Docherty)

Pyke gets fired amid missing finals for 2 years and an exodus of players leaving the club (McGovern, Lever, Betts, Jacobs,Jenkins, Keath, Lynch, Cameron, Hartigan, Greenwood).

Leppitsch gets hired and leads them to 3 bottom 4 positions and a winning record of 21%. Fired.

Nicks comes in and leads us to 3 bottom 4 (hopefully) positions and a winning record of 26%. (hopefully fired).

Fagan Hired. Spends two more years at the bottom, before finishing top 4 the next 4 years.

Hopefully we copy the above.

As much as he's not a sexy player by any stretch of the imagination, you could make a case for Rory Laird filling this criteria.

After all, he's spent a good portion of his career in the AA discussion. Two AAs in 2017 and 2018, AAx40 in 2016 and 2021. On track for an AA spot in 2022 seeing he's improved on 2021 (or at worse, another AAx40 spot).

Though it gets rather thin afterwards, nor does Laird disprove your point as our handling of him was the exception, not the rule.

Rory is a case in point for both sides of the argument because he nosedived and flatlined badly for 2 years after the AAs. That bad that he required reinvention as a midfielder, which he’s done an awesome job of so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are now in the most dangerous spot.

We have acknowledged that we were rebuilding in 2020/2021, but 2022 started different. Our Captain came out saying we were gunning for finals and that 2022 was about further improving on 2021.

Nicks is now in the tough position. Finals are gone and its about next year, but he needs the Crows to stay competitive and finish strong so the club can sell progress to the masses and the board.

For the first time under Nicks, we are now in the territory where club goals and Nicksy's goals appear to be contradictory.

Sloane said that we’d finished learning and it was time to start performing. Just need to get continuity into the perceived best 22 and we’ll be pushing for the bottom of the 8. Rebuild is done.

Sloane said that we’d finished learning and it was time to start performing. Just need to get continuity into the perceived best 22 and we’ll be pushing for the bottom of the 8. Rebuild is done.
What's Sloane on? Some of our players have played less than 5-10 games. Most of our underperforming players are older or have had their chance and aren't up to it. Our rebuild has a long way to go. The priorities are fixing our list management and recruiting first and then locking in a quality coach.

Silver's today was saying we've added the high end draft talent and we would be looking at free agency and the trade market.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Silver's today was saying we've added the high end draft talent and we would be looking at free agency and the trade market.

McAsey, Jones, McHenry. 2 are out of the team and one is borderline selection. I presume he is referring to Thilthorpe and Rachele. Where is our high end mids? They don't know what they are doing. The question needs to be asked of why is there such a reluctance to look at our list management and recruiting? Being a bottom 2-3 club for 3-4 years is acceptable? Do we need to turn into Carlton's 20 year rebuild before change happens.

To be fair, "time to start performing" is I think a reasonable attitude. And yes, we should be pushing for the bottom of the 8, that doesn't mean that's the ceiling we should aim for, just the next step. "We should be pushing for top 4 / a flag" is not something sensible to say right now.

OK, whether or not you think the current list / coaches / player development is capable of "starting to perform" to that level is another question, but I'm not going to bag Sloane for saying that.

I heard that, and I didn't like it. We've got a few good draftees, but we haven't finished. OK if we can land a good FA; and OK if we're trading for a young gun mid, but we can't afford to trade away our next first rounder for anything less than an absolute gun.

What's Sloane on? Some of our players have played less than 5-10 games. Most of our underperforming players are older or have had their chance and aren't up to it. Our rebuild has a long way to go. The priorities are fixing our list management and recruiting first and then locking in a quality coach.

Unfortunately that’s not the view inside the 4 walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back