Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver's today was saying we've added the high end draft talent and we would be looking at free agency and the trade market.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesus and this guy came from Hawthorn. Getting the picture he didn’t get too involved in the footy side of things. We’ve added Rachele and TT who look like they might be high end talent. Not much behind them at this stage though. Did he mention how stacked our midfield is?

To be fair, "time to start performing" is I think a reasonable attitude. And yes, we should be pushing for the bottom of the 8, that doesn't mean that's the ceiling we should aim for, just the next step. "We should be pushing for top 4 / a flag" is not something sensible to say right now.

OK, whether or not you think the current list / coaches / player development is capable of "starting to perform" to that level is another question, but I'm not going to bag Sloane for saying that.

I heard that, and I didn't like it. We've got a few good draftees, but we haven't finished. OK if we can land a good FA; and OK if we're trading for a young gun mid, but we can't afford to trade away our next first rounder for anything less than an absolute gun.

You’re focussing on only half the sentence. The first part was that we’d done all our learning. Performing is a given, every player should be performing at their best, noting inconsistencies with developing players. It’s the ‘we’ve finished learning’ bit that is moronic.

Last edited:
You’re focussing on only half the sentence. The first part was that we’d done all our learning. Performing is a given, every player should be performing at their best, noting inconsistencies with developing players. It’s the ‘we’ve finished learning’ bit that is moronic.
Well, I read it differently. To me it was more like - we've had to do a lot of learning, but we can't use that as an excuse any more, we need to start putting it on the field. OK "finished learning" if you take it literally, but I'm giving him a pass. :rainbow:

It’s not

We were the best performed H&A team in both 1997&1998

The irony is that our flags were not based on make the 8 and anything can happen

That was an urban myth that took hold
The best % in both years.

If we’re going hard at free agency then Bailey Dale is the one I want.

Can see him as a perfect, much younger replacement for Seedsman. Offer him a spot on the wing and more coin that the Bulldogs could afford (he and Dawson would be a brilliant wing combo).

Caleb Daniel is a wonderful player but I feel Dale would suit our needs more.

Would happily take either/both, let’s be honest.

And both are apparently unrestricted, so no risk of the Dogs matching if we can woo them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. 1 game away from being the 3rd best team during the H&A season.
And Blight was ****ing fuming, able to be heard from surrounding suburbs yelling during training and leaving games early he was so disgusted

We had the best % in the league which is well accepted these days as a far better predictor of success than just points in an unbalanced fixture

The unbalanced fixture leads to unbalanced % as well though. Getting to play North and WC twice this year gives a club a huge % opportunity (unless you're the AFC).

By what metric?

The last 6 teams to win the flag didn't have the best percentage, however 3 of those teams had most wins.

By a longer metric than 6 years ;)

Compare 2017 & 2016 and tell me about how meaningful H&A wins are

In a lopsided draw, how you perform within games is at least as important as the final result.

Take last year, in a grand final collapse in the 3rd quarter so inexplicable they should be looking for the involvement of Indian Bookmakers - WB were otherwise the better team in a game they should have won with a better % from 5th spot over a team 10 points better in the H&A

Who could have seen WB’s performance? Anyone noting %

Port collapsing again, 1/2 game out of top spot but with what - 5th or 6th best %?

We did in 2017 too and many seem to believe our ladder position was overrated.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Were we not close? Did we significantly underperform, or did we make it to the grand final with the best %

Our ladder position incidentally was good enough only for 7th place in 2016. The argument is that we were not a dominant team in 2017 as some mistakenly claimed

By a longer metric than 6 years ;)

Compare 2017 & 2016 and tell me about how meaningful H&A wins are

In a lopsided draw, how you perform within games is at least as important as the final result.

Take last year, in a grand final collapse in the 3rd quarter so inexplicable they should be looking for the involvement of Indian Bookmakers - WB were otherwise the better team in a game they should have won with a better % from 5th spot over a team 10 points better in the H&A

Who could have seen WB’s performance? Anyone noting %

Port collapsing again, 1/2 game out of top spot but with what - 5th or 6th best %?

Interesting. Richmond not as good as their 3 flags in 4 years suggests? Funny the 1 year they had the best percentage, they didn't make the grand final.

Lets compare 2017 & 2016 and you can tell me how important % was.

2017 the two teams with most wins made the grand final. The team with the 4th best percentage won the flag. Teams with 2nd & 3rd best percentage didn't make the Prelims. The teams with the equal best record and 2nd best record also made the prelim.

2016 the team with the most wins and best percentage made the grand final. It was an incredibly tight year with regards to wins. 7th place bulldogs were only 2 wins behind 1st place, whilst their percentage was 7th (but a distant 7th).

Hell lets even throw in 2018. The season where the 3 teams with the best percentage didn't make the grand final. (2nd and 3rd best record did).

Were we not close? Did we significantly underperform, or did we make it to the grand final with the best %

Our ladder position incidentally was good enough only for 7th place in 2016. The argument is that we were not a dominant team in 2017 as some mistakenly claimed

I'm not sold on a comparison between years in this way.

In my view, it shows that some teams were more dominant in 2016, but that the competition was closer in 2017, hence a less impressive record in the wins/loss columns was enough to finish top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back