Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty much a s**t way to finish off the season
If you could sum up our season in one game that would be it.

Some outstanding
A lot absolutely woeful
Poor selection
Kicked poorly for goal
Reamed by the umpires
Lost a close game

14th last year.

If Freo get up tomorrow we will be equal 14th after 23 rounds.

Thank goodness we've got an extra round this year.

WooHoo.

Go Nicksy.
We're losing much better this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

14th last year.

If Freo get up tomorrow we will be equal 14th after 23 rounds.

Thank goodness we've got an extra round this year.

WooHoo.

Go Nicksy.
We beat WC this week & other results go as they should we end up 11th. 14th last year - 3 more wins. It's a pass mark in any reasonable person's judgement. However, I do agree that the club must have finals expectations in 2024 & Nicks' future should be linked to that happening.

It's pretty gutless from Nicks if he didn't use this reasonable chance to tea off.
There's some irony in the fact that last week there was quite the deal made of him holding up the press conference to watch the Matildas shoot out. He was up to date with the results of another code last week, but 45 minutes after the game he apparently hadn't seen the goal which cost his team the game and their finals chance.

1692483152007.jpeg

Here’s some perspective regarding last night vs Swans:

- we scored 4.8 in the last quarter. The players responded big time in the second half, after a poor showing of fumbling and poor kicking. Doesn’t this show the players had played bad but Nicks helped to change the course of the game?

- I was utterly impressed with our defensive pressure in that last quarter, where the Swans only had 1 scoring shot. This shows that we’re fit and mentally much stronger with our finishing in the last quarter. Just the issue of not taking our chances with the kicks for goals.

There's some irony in the fact that last week there was quite the deal made of him holding up the press conference to watch the Matildas shoot out. He was up to date with the results of another code last week, but 45 minutes after the game he apparently hadn't seen the goal which cost his team the game and their finals chance.

View attachment 1779436
The footage shown on replays were inconclusive. So Nicks couldn’t and shouldn’t show anger with that decision (then). The footage from behind the goals which were later uploaded on social media, Nicks wouldn’t have known until after the presser.

If he was serious about winning that game, why would he select Sloane? He must know it's playing with 17 on the field and yet he still does it.
We lost the first two centre clearances of the 2nd quarter and his response to that was to send Sloane back out there from off the bench the first chance he got. Doesn't look at Harry or Soligo or anyone else for a change-up (both were stuck on the wing all night), just went running to straight to Sloane.

We lost the first two centre clearances of the 2nd quarter and his response to that was to send Sloane back out there from off the bench the first chance he got. Doesn't look at Harry or Soligo or anyone else for a change-up (both were stuck on the wing all night), just went running to straight to Sloane.

Surely VB is all over the micro decisions regarding the midfield group. How is it possible that two highly paid coaches that are desperate to win think Sloane has value in the midfield? Don't they watch what happens when oppo win the the ball.

Reckon last night was a pivotal moment for Nicks as a coach. If he was fuming with the boys behind closed doors, I think this could be the catalyst needed for us to really ramp it up next season.

If he tries to blame it on the first 3 quarters, he might lose a fair few of the players and it might be the beginning of the end.

As I always love a good conspiracy theory, I was initially think the majority of the group thought “ah ****,we have resigned that old coot for another 12 months so lets go out there and not play to our best as the old coot is in the midfield yet again” then once he gets subbed off they think “thank ****ing christ for that, now lets give this a red hot go”.

Reckon last night was a pivotal moment for Nicks as a coach. If he was fuming with the boys behind closed doors, I think this could be the catalyst needed for us to really ramp it up next season.

If he tries to blame it on the first 3 quarters, he might lose a fair few of the players and it might be the beginning of the end.

the problem is that nearly every player knows he's hamstringing them at selection, can't blame the players when the loss is due to yourself.

As I always love a good conspiracy theory, I was initially think the majority of the group thought “ah ,we have resigned that old coot for another 12 months so lets go out there and not play to our best as the old coot is in the midfield yet again” then once he gets subbed off they think “thank ****** christ for that, now lets give this a red hot go”.

Maybe not to that extent but there would be players that are thinking "why is Nicksy playing Slowne in the midfirld, doesnt he know Slownes cooked".

Seeing Pedlar there in the second half would be a relief "we're not a man short"

As I always love a good conspiracy theory, I was initially think the majority of the group thought “ah ,we have resigned that old coot for another 12 months so lets go out there and not play to our best as the old coot is in the midfield yet again” then once he gets subbed off they think “thank ****** christ for that, now lets give this a red hot go”.

it would be a bit deflating for some of the players knowing he's going to be stinking up the midfield for another 12 months. In terms of the turnaround, getting him off the field makes a big difference to how effective our engine room is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back