Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ogilvie should have at the very minimum drafted Butters and Serong. They probably would be playing in the SANFL so Sloane and Crouch could play midfield but we still should have drafted them.
Those 2018 and 2019 drafts, more than any others, will hurt us for the next decade. We could have had our midfield built in just 2 drafts but instead we will start 2024 still not really knowing if we have even 1 potential A grader on our list, never mind the 2 it takes to win a premiership.

No, this is on Nicks, he’s the one who could have put an end to it by not picking him. But he’s picked him in every game and clearly wants him. That glisten in the eye on AFL360 said it all “I just look at Rory and he gets it”. Pity he can’t play anymore Nicks.
You can't quantify what Sloane brings to the team above what you see on TV without speaking to people at the club. Personally I wouldn't have signed Sloane. And this week I would have had him sub.

You can't quantify what Sloane brings to the team above what you see on TV without speaking to people at the club. Personally I wouldn't have signed Sloane. And this week I would have had him sub.
What he brings to the club off field is likely overstated to justify a bad decision. We have Walker, Laird, Crouch, Doedee, Dawson, Smith along with quite a few players who have played between 50-100 games. One more experienced player who can't cut it onfield anymore will not help them. If anything Sloane's onfield performance hurts the young group as they are a playing a man short which they have to make up for.

Last edited:
True but on TV and at the ground I see him extremely slow physically and with ball in hand, I see him fluff kicks, I see him miss tackles, I see him get caught, I see him scrag because he can’t keep up costing 50 metres, I see him with only 13 possessions playing as a mid.

Nothing he does off field can make up for the shit performances on field and getting in the way of our future.

So you wouldn’t have signed Sloane, you’d make him sub, so why continue to defend Nicks? You know Nicks makes mistakes right? He’s human, he’s just an employee who at some stage will be sacked or not renewed, blind loyalty is just naive and quite frankly childish.

True but on TV and at the ground I see him extremely slow physically and with ball in hand, I see him fluff kicks, I see him miss tackles, I see him get caught, I see him scrag because he can’t keep up costing 50 metres, I see him with only 13 possessions playing as a mid.

Nothing he does off field can make up for the s**t performances on field and getting in the way of our future.

So you wouldn’t have signed Sloane, you’d make him sub, so why continue to defend Nicks?
You're correct ...a missed tackle in the midfield normally ends up in an offensive chain unbroken and a goal scored

How often does a drop mark, end up as an oppo goal a minute later .....we see it all the time ....as you get older, you're reaching, feet aren't moving ....but most importantly we can't have too many slow's in today's midfield
You know Nicks makes mistakes right? He’s human, he’s just an employee who at some stage will be sacked or not renewed, blind loyalty is just naive and quite frankly childish.
These mistakes you go on about are a non-issue ....every Coach in every game is making mistakes, they're just not under your microscope

I know you need something to talk about, but as rabidcrow pointed out the other day .....it's the win/loss chart that will decide any Coach's future

So far, the "Benjamin Franklin" analysis has Nicks way out to the positive side of the ledger .....2nd youngest side, been in almost every game with a chance to win ......player development :whitecheck:

You're correct ...a missed tackle in the midfield normally ends up in an offensive chain unbroken and a goal scored

How often does a drop mark, end up as an oppo goal a minute later .....we see it all the time ....as you get older, you're reaching, feet aren't moving ....but most importantly we can't have too many slow's in today's midfield

These mistakes you go on about are a non-issue ....every Coach in every game is making mistakes, they're just not under your microscope

I know you need something to talk about, but as rabidcrow pointed out the other day .....it's the win/loss chart that will decide any Coach's future

So far, the "Benjamin Franklin" analysis has Nicks way out to the positive side of the ledger .....2nd youngest side, been in almost every game with a chance to win ......player development :whitecheck:
Doesnt fit the narrative tho wayne

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're expecting continual, linear improvement though. That's not always the case and it's certainly possible we end up the same or worse next year because Nicks keeps making some fundamental errors (and because we can't rely on Tex to kick 60 goals again).

Look at the Bulldogs, all the talent in the world and they have struggled to make the 8 the last two years because Beveridge can't get out of his own way. I think it's just a bit of a head in the sand scenario to say "all coaches make mistakes so Nicks' mistakes don't matter". They absolutely do matter because they will put a cap just how good the team can be and how many games they can win.

Thats easy on hindsight to say. But you walk into any draft we were in without the benefit of hindsight and tell me who Hamish should have picked? Our picks almost exactly match Cal Twomeys phantom draft ratings. Hindsight is simply an unfair approach to critique.

That's good we can save a heap of money and sack all our scouts and just go by Cals ratings.

Their job is to find good players that we need, anyone can just follow Cals ratings.

Far too many first round misses for my liking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take last year is still the same as this year.

Is it a problem with recruiting or is the development the problem?

It has to one or the other which begs the question why are both Nicks and Ogilvie still at the club?

We're staring at a fifth year coming with no one coming through our midfield and it seems like the club is completely satisfied with it.

Last edited:
My take last year is still the same as this year.

Is it a problem with recruiting or is the development the problem?

It has to one or the other which begs the question why are both Nicks and Ogilvie still at the club?

Where staring at a fifth year coming with no one coming through our midfield and it seems like the club is completely satisfied with it.
Add Reid if he thinks keeping Sloane is regenerating the list

Or waiting to retire Smith, Sloane and Walker all in the same year.

Sometimes you need to take the toys off the baby

Will not survive 2024. The AFC revolving door to swing back into action. Next lamb to the slaughter!

If the club does a body of work review this off season, Nicks would struggle to survive it in all honesty. Results only make up a small picture and often, wrongly wall paper over cracks.

His biggest flaws are:
  • Game day tactics
  • Selection, Selection, Selection
  • Adhoc ever changing overthought game plans
  • Over reliance on senior veterans at the expense of development
  • Player positioning

Our win / loss this year I believe can be put down to an even competition year with no real runaway standout teams. Even Fremantle and Gold Coast have 9 wins and then Hawthorn have 7 this season.

Only a fool would be running around stating Nicks is all things like a god as a coach based on the above alone.

That presser says everything I need to know about this bloke.

I want a coach who knows when it’s time to go off his tree and stand up for what actually right.

Piss weak.

It's pretty gutless from Nicks if he didn't use this reasonable chance to tea off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back