May Daily Punt - Adelaide G1s jammed between NSW provincial coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

They are not trying to win by as much as they can. They aren't dogs. All they are trying to do is pass the post first. So winning margin matters little.

Yup pretty sure they are all trying to win by the barest possible margin :thumbsu:

In contrast - I've seen many dogs take a look over their shoulder and put on a quick burst to increase their margin of victory

Some horses run better around a turn some run best down a straight.

Evidence suggests that of late Chat is more effective around a bend. Much in the same way the QB is more effective down the straight.

In summary i do agree with Paris. Although im also of the opinion that Chat could also be more effective at 1400m - 1600m these days, but while he is winning group 1 sprints in Aus i cant see them even bothering which at the end of the day is fair enough.

Against the world's best down the straight in another country is a completely different story though, i think it will show everyone where Chat is really at these days (not as good as he once was), happy to be proven wrong and for another Australian win on English turf though.

Which begs the question, if they were to target a race overseas with her would it be at a mile or 2000m?

She is the best miler in the world IMO (and according to timeform) but are there any races worth chasing outside Dubai over a mile? Pretty sure the overseas riches over 2000m would be far greater.

Last edited:
Which begs the question, if they were to target a race overseas with her would it be at a mile or 2000m?

She is the best miler in the world IMO (and according to timeform) but are there any races worth chasing outside Dubai over a mile? Pretty sure the overseas riches over 2000m would be far greater.

You're not going OS for money. Queen Anne the obvious choice. What's solow's master rating?

As for Winx only one capable lol. Brazen Beau should have won, Chaut up to his level. Buffering beat a fair few internationals just last month. Without pumping oz up too hard we are clearly the worlds best sprinting nation.

Should have a crack at the Kentucky Derby, what a buzz that would generate!

You're not going OS for money. Queen Anne the obvious choice. What's solow's master rating?

As for Winx only one capable lol. Brazen Beau should have won, Chaut up to his level. Buffering beat a fair few internationals just last month. Without pumping oz up too hard we are clearly the worlds best sprinting nation.

Solow actually rated higher, im sure i read that Winx went to an all time high after Doncaster and was rated the world best miler, not at home right now so will chase article.

Oh, ive got no doubt our sprinters are still good enough in places like Dubai, i think RA will be a different story though. Ratings may suggest im wrong, call it gut feel, im convinced we arent as strong as we were.

Solow actually rated higher, im sure i read that Winx went to an all time high after Doncaster and was rated the world best miler, not at home right now so will chase article.

Oh, ive got no doubt our sprinters are still good enough in places like Dubai, i think RA will be a different story though. Ratings may suggest im wrong, call it gut feel, im convinced we arent as strong as we were.

Here it is:

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/122046/Winx-rated-world's-best-miler-and-turf-horse

I suspect we will find out a lot more when Chat and Buffering go head to head in Hong Kong in the Chairman's Sprint next month.

So FallingLiefs Queen Anne the only option over a mile? France have anything as prestigious?

Youre not convinced she's a chance in the Arc? Best at a mile for you?

Only had 1 "real" Winx run over 2000 and she was eased down gapping them which really affects my improvement rating so I can't say how she'll go over 2400. She's definitely better over more than a mile though.

France I'm not great with mainly because they have impossible names to remember. There's one or two open age miles just before the arc from memory. I think she has to go the Queen Anne though, no money in them and not as big either.

Honestly wouldn't shock if she could run the 2400 the way she runs but she's short on the ability side of an arc IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone is a comedian. I neglected to consider the age part...

Just a minor detail. :thumbsu: It didnt even register with me when you first said it.

:(, some trolling missed.

In regards to Winx could there any chance of running in the Japan Cup in the spring, I know they targeting Cox Plate, I think Japan Cup is 3 weeks after it.
Reasons why
$ 5.8 millon race 3rd richest in the world
Run over 2400 metres which would be perfect after the Cox Plate 2040m
Run at WFA so would have weight advantage against some runners
Run the sydney way, we know she goes well clockwise
Not as far to travel, not sure what quarantine restrictions are in place at the moment
Going to England and racing is only for the prestige, I would go to Japan for $$$$$$

May be a left field idea, but what other Australian horse in recent time would have the class to compete? Sometimes you have to be bold and thing outside the square

Has solow retired?

I know what the ratings say but I found it highly doubtful that the best miler in the world is not somewhere in Europe right now.

Hard to say where her best shot in Europe would be right now until you see how the locals have come back and how good the 3yos are.

And if you want to prove yourself the best you need to go for the Sussex or QEII. No 3yos in the Queen Anne

Also I think Disabled Friend was rated the worlds best miler before being stuffed in the Queen Anne

Just had a look at my ratings - Winx Doncaster win would have her competitive with Solow, but she hasn't yet hit a level normally required to win the Championship 2000m races (good enough to win last years Champions which was on a bog and pretty average).

If they just want to win a race I'd go Queen Anne (no 3yos - earlier in the season).

If they want to prove themselves the worlds best miler I'd go to the Sussex.

Just had a look at my ratings - Winx Doncaster win would have her competitive with Solow, but she hasn't yet hit a level normally required to win the Championship 2000m races (good enough to win last years Champions which was on a bog and pretty average).

If they just want to win a race I'd go Queen Anne (no 3yos - earlier in the season).

If they want to prove themselves the worlds best miler I'd go to the Sussex.

Since last Autumn she hasnt been tested over 2000 though (including the Cox Plate) as Leifs eluded to, eased down. Id be very interested to see what she can produce when full extended at 2000m. Waller keeps crapping on about her will to win.

My personal opinion is she would be best suited to a mile in europe, but i would love to see her race in the QEII more than any other race. **** it, go to the Arc after that as well.

Would be great to see our own Winx complete in the best races in europe, much as it would have been to watch Bart Cummings SYT before Aiden got his dirty hands on him and turned him into a grinder.

Since last Autumn i she has been tested over 2000 though (including the Cox Plate) as Leifs eluded to, eased down. Id be very interested to see what she can produce when full extended at 2000m. Waller keeps crapping on about her will to win.

My personal opinion is she would be best suited to a mile in europe, but i would love to see her race in the QEII more than any other race. **** it, go to the Arc after that as well.

Would be great to see our own Winx complete in the best races in europe, much as it would have our SYT before Aiden got his dirty hands on him and turned him into a grinder.

The QEII is a mile race and is held AFTER the Arc :p

Remove this Banner Ad

May Daily Punt - Adelaide G1s jammed between NSW provincial coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back